Honda Elite Tire Question

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Donny1973, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Donny1973

Donny1973 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to put new tires on my '86 Elite 150. Can I go any wider than the stock 3.50 x 10?
  2. Hittman

Hittman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why?
  3. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Anyone???
  4. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Have fun getting the bead to seat on those new tires.:deal Most frustrating/time consuming tire change experience ever. Previously, I've done dozens of motorcycle tire changes. Finally, ended up taking it to a tire shop with a high pressure hose. It was a two person job. No wonder the scooter dealer charges so much.:lol3
  5. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice.

Back to my question; can anyone tell me if I anything wider than 3.50" will fit on an '86 Elite Deluxe 150?
  6. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    How much wider are you wanting to go?

For handling with the stock shock and forks, I'd recommend staying VERY close to the 3.50 sizing. But that's just me.

If you're picking up a cheap tire that's maybe a 1/2" wider shouldn't be a problem..but if you're getting into anything more than that, it'll make your handling a wee bit squirrelly.

And remember, you DO NOT want a huge width discrepancy between your front and rear wheels, especially if it's a daily driver and not a show toy.

Just my $.02
  7. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'd like to go a half inch wider but I can't find any 4.00-10 tires. They seem to switch to metric sizes after 3.50. Can anyone tell me what the equivalent of 4.00-10 would be in metric?
  8. Motorace

Motorace Black and Round pays the bills.

Oddometer:
    4.00X10 in Continental Zippy 3 and K62.

Odd size. I haven't sold one in ages.
  9. theseus

theseus n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been using Bridgestone Battlax BT-39 on both front and rear. Gives a nice ride...
  10. Prodigium

Prodigium Ad Astra

Oddometer:
    Portland OR during school year. SW MI in summer
    ... is as width increases, so does circumference so fender and other clearances that exist around the tire need to be checked. I've been looking for a larger tire myself, and my major concern has been the clearance between the tire and the belt/gear housing. There is very little space there. Ask any Vespa dealer for the metric equivalent for the tire you want.
  11. Stickler

Stickler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen a 120/90/10 on an elite. I think that's the best you can do. Ridiculously sketchy clearance near the exhaust joint bolt. IMHO, stick with 3.5-10
  12. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    you know something Honda engineers who designed the entire machine didn't know?? Bruce
  13. pennintj

pennintj Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer:

Don't you love how people *never* give you a straight answer? :D

Should be no problem to go up to 100/90x10 on the front. Any wider and you risk running into the swingarm & the fork arms at the front. Possible rubbing problems on the fender & dust/dirt covers in the rear.

Rather than go wider, go better. Grab a set of Michelin S1's or the like & they'll do fine.

With an old Elite 150 I'd be more worried about the shocks sucking ass anyway....:lol3
  14. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    I tried to post a few pics with my new 4.00 x 10s but I guess I don't have enough posts. It looks great and handles better than with the 3.50s. Oh yeah, I blacked out the rims as well. Hope the Honda engineers don't find out.
  15. notdave

notdave gets bored easily

Oddometer:
    so was it difficult? i changed my front tire but did it at the shop with a new valve stem. cost me $20 in labor and $20 for the tire.

you think i can do the rear tire myself? valve stem too?

get those pics up asap
  16. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    For some reason I'm not allowed to upload pics. When I click the add attachment button I get an error message "you have uploaded the maximum of 1 file", which I haven't. Is there a requirement to have a minimum number of posts before you can attach a pic?

Donny
  17. notdave

notdave gets bored easily

Oddometer:
    try a photohost like imageshack