1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    It's been brought up that someone who doesn't live in the city has no rights in this discussion. Wrong! The city has a way of impacting everyone in the general vicinity, that's why it's referred to as the "metropolitan area", "tri-state area", etc.

Anyone who lives, has lived, works, has worked, lives close, owns a business there, ,etc., etc,. etc., is impacted by what happens there, so let's leave that argument out.

We've seen time and time again that dedicated people can make unbelievable things happen, Jesse, a big thumbs up to you! :clap:freaky

The Times is running an "op-doc" piece, whatever the hell that means, on a documentary movie about the same type of rogue riders in Baltimore. Except this guy is spinning it so these poor miscreants are little misunderstood people who see their illegal riding as a way out of the drug and gang culture. Really? We've seen they can be a gang unto themselves. Same MO: no insurance, no driver's license, wolf packs stunting on the streets, etc. Not hero material, at least to me.

Here's the article and video. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/o...l=1&adxnnlx=1386072313-ZiWJuSNE21hNbWDQIk3Z3w
  2. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Jesse, Brad, I commend you two for the time and effort you've put into trying to get motorcycle riding and commuting on an even foot with other ways of getting around the city. But our image has been seriously effected by the recent West Side highway events.

Back in 1947, we had the Hollister Riots. A bunch of motorcyclists, out to have some fun, ruined motorcycling for years. Honda, with an heroic effort, recovered some of it, but now, we have set the clock back again. :cry:cry:cry

The Hollister Riots:
    http://www.salinasramblersmc.org/history/Classic_Bike_Article.htm

[​IMG]

The only good thing to come out of the West Side Highway debacle is that people seem to get out of my way now when I'm riding around the countryside. A dubious reward....
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

Again, I'm sorry if my realistic view on this subject has you now resorting to name calling man.

But if you so desperately desire to have dirt trail riding next store to your house, living in Queens, LI or anywhere in the NYC area is probably not the best option for you.

Your counter points seem so contrived, forced, and blind at this stage I'll rest my argument.

All the best. :D
  4. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't we have anything else to argue about?
  5. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Wait, I thought the BQE, Jackie and Prospect with the potholes WERE the track we've always wanted?
  6. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    You say you're being realistic, yet I think you're the one whose arguments are contrived.

Lotsa' luck Mr. Skeptic.
  7. LeonLoco

LeonLoco 2/3hp to the paws.

Oddometer:
    Hm. Well, I commuted from the burbs into Manhattan every day for about six years on a Duc 916 with stock bars/seats, because I'm crazy, so I guess I'll share a few observations. Also did a few dozen trips on a hypermotard w/ TKC80s on it when the weather sucked-- short of snow I would always ride in as it turned a 1-1/2-2 hour commute into 30 minutes at worst.

- The actual ride is not that difficult. Lane splitting everywhere is mandatory, though not even the NYPD bike cops seem to give a crap about it unless you're a complete idiot. My usual route was the Palisades to GWB to West Side Hwy, and from there into the upper west side.

Maybe once a week I'd get one dork who'd lay on the horn because I could move through traffic and they couldn't. Once or twice a month someone would try to run me over via the usual "oh, I'll be in this lane now" nonsense. Only had one door opened on me in six years, and never went down, but I had a couple close ones.

Ultimately the only way to survive NYC is to get extremely aggressive in your maneuvering-- get around potential trips to the hospital as quickly as is mostly safe and you'll rarely have a problem as most people are half asleep at the wheel anyway.

- You absolutely can not relax one hair until you're over a bridge or north of the city proper by a solid 10 miles, or you'll end up spammed. It was stressful, but I have to admit my tour made me a much better rider overall-- mostly as half the idiotic stuff I never would have assumed someone in a car would ever attempt happened on a daily basis. My favorites were when someone managed to flip a car onto its roof on the West Side Hwy. This happened with alarming frequency.

- Parking sucks (surprise) and is expensive as hell. When I first started doing the run in about 2003 or so, it was not actually that difficult to find a place. A lot of garages would do monthly bike parking for $150 or so and would often let you park wherever you liked. My favorite spot was on W56th between 10th and 11th. A parking garage there had a section of dilapidated office space they used for bike parking, and each "space" was a carpeted cubicle. Even had power for trickle chargers, which blew my mind. I loved that spot, but the building was annexed by the John Jay college, because suck. I then found a place on W59th between 11th and West Side-- they have a cordoned-off area for bike parking that is pretty decent, and that place is still in operation.

Other friendly garages I know of:
    - Quik Park on 44th between 8th and Times Square.
    - 62nd street between Columbus and Broadway.
    - Bond Street Between Lafayette and Bowery-- garage on the right side of the street (heading east) is quite friendly.

As to street parking, unless you don't have a problem with kicking your bike over and/or ramming it a few times with a car, I wouldn't.
  8. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    lol

wanna make a bet.....?:lol3
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    "Whatdya got?"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fkdqCTcDkbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:evil
  10. BERZERKOWITZ

BERZERKOWITZ .

Oddometer:
    When will you old hens stop cackling and realize when DiBlasio neuters the NYPD, the entire city will be a supermoto track. :thumb
  11. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Unless that ten miles puts you into Jersey, in which case you're still screwed and better watch your ass even more. :lol3
  12. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I wonder if anyone rides in the MTB park in Queens- Cunningham Park. A few years ago, I rode a bicycle there a few times, and it's pretty impressive, considering it's within NYC.
    I live too far from there to know, but I wonder if the dirtbike kids ride [illegally] there? If they wanted dirt and trails- that's the place to go. Obviously, it's illegal, but so is riding on the city streets. I'm curious if they even care about dirt... I doubt the majority do.
  13. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I said a couple times already, I am doing this for myself, my family, and my friends. I don't so much care about making something for criminals.

NOW, that being said: I believe that the easier it is to be legal, the more people will be legal. Some will never come around, but that's not my problem.
  14. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Minimal to no dirtbike issues in Cunningham, once in a blue mood a quad is in there.
  15. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Listen hear Mr Rectumtronics,

You alluding to breaking my limbs because I disagree? Lighten up.

I have worked in Manhattan for over 31 years, was born in St. Vincents hospital, have had city taxes taken out of my paychecks, so I will say anything I freakin' want about the city. I am qualified. Possibly more than you.

I personally dont buy into any crap about "we have no where to ride thats why we do what we do.... " just a bunch of BS

yea it would be nice to have a place to ride, but not for that kind of ghetto scum, why would you buy/steal a quad or a non plated dirt bike if you live in the city? Because you intend to not follow any laws that the general public follows. Period. They dont give a crap.

It would be like living in northern Maine on logging roads, buying/stealing a Limo, driving without a license, not wearing a seatbelt, texting, and expecting paved roads. Aint gonna happen. (maybe a bad analogy, but you get the idea)

Would it be nice for a place to ride, for the downtrodden ghetto boys and whoever else? yea sure, I guess. But when some ghetto punks start to whine and demand that they need this and they demand they need that, I really dont give a crap. I probably already pay for their housing and food stamps, but , whats a working guy to do.

As to "what the fuck makes me think" the city should be all pavement? It already is. Thats why I dont fucking live there.

Have a Bidet.............. ha ha ha

16. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    I too am city born and I've worked in Manhattan for over 31 years too. Whoopdefuckindoodlydoo.

You are utterly clueless and ignorant. Good to be rid of you.
  17. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you are not rid of me Mr Rectumtronics, I'm gonna be your own personal hemhorroid....

clueless? Maybe...... Ignorant, nope.........HA HA HA

Have a Bidet...... and good night.... ha ha ha
  18. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Rectumtronics, Are you kidding?????

I cant believe i missed this crock of you know what.

Your vision??????? vans with trailers to pick up the hoodlums???? HA HA:D Are you serious?

Oh my god.... Ive heard it all,

Whats next? They need gear???? ...They need gear????...They dont fucking use it now???... Are you kidding??? Why would they use it? Whats next??... How about gas for their bikes? How about Oil changes and lube for their chains. Geez, you are in a dreamworld.

As far as the DOT using vans for ferrying passengers, I think this may be a little bit different, dont ya think???

your favorite hemhorroid

Have a Bidet??? HA HA HA
  19. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    In your ignorance it is impossible for you to know your ignorance.

Here, I have a picture of you:

[​IMG]
  20. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wiseblood,

To be perfectly honest the answer would be no.

Not for the general public, because.... we would have all the people like Rectumtronics coming up to my neck of the woods.:D

For me, I got a buddy with 14 acres a 1/4 mile from me. I got friends upstate with property, I think your hearts are in the right place but misguided.

I wish you guys luck..,.. your gonna need it,,, but Rectumtronics and his free gear and van rides is over the top.

Whats next... When one of the ghetto cruisers breaks a leg , will he be eligible for RectumtronicsCare????? Better get that website going ...............HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA