Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I try not to get it too close to the seat or stickers. Anything else I should watch out for?
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wheel bearings, shock linkage and steering head bearings are some that come to mind. A power washer can blow water right through those seals.

Pretty nice how clean it came out though. :thumb
  3. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Unless you're putting it super close I don't think the pressure is that serious. It works good cause it only costs about 2 bucks for 5 minutes and cleans it up great after a messy ride.
  4. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also need to be careful with the countershaft and shift shaft seals.

5. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, the learning points are probably less for your benefit than for others around here (ahem) whose knowledge about the moving bits on a bike can be summarized as follows (in my case -- the pistons part I'm fuzzy about, but I can draw an arrow to where the oil goes :D).

[​IMG]
  6. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see a couple fellow ADV guys out at the training grounds today. Guess I need to be sure to check in right before I head out next time. Everything looked quiet on here last night when I checked in. I definitely want to head back over there when it dries up a bit.
  7. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    this s great! I need to send this a someone at work. :lol3:lol3
  8. Whooptydid

Whooptydid Halfast

Oddometer:
    Hey gang! I'm fairly new to the area and wondering where folks go to play in the dirt? I haven't had a set of knobbies under me in quite some time, but the itch is still there to get another one! Would love to hear from other "seasoned" kids such as myself that roost round here.
  9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    A large hawk was perched on a fence right behind the garage. When I tried to schlep out to the house to get the camera, it flew off to a nearby tree.

Rats!!

10. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:

Ha Ha Guy, that's funny. Given your urban environment, that's probably what it was looking for, rats! Either that, or little kitties....

We're sitting here enjoying the sunshine for the first time in a couple of days. The 4"-8" that was supposed to drop last night never came. We only got about another inch. Dang.

BUT, my nephew Joe was up here for the last few days so we did some of our own "training". Unfortunately the XR650L with Scorpion DS rear was completely useless in all the snow. It as far worse than riding on snot slick clay, so we had to fall back to the CRF's with full MX knobbies. Now those were the ticket!

This is Joe after we got to the top of the mountain. 6" to 8" mostly on the trails, but with drifts across in places that got up to a foot. Funny thing I learned? Standing on the pegs in snow is NOT the answer when you are bogging badly. Believe it or not, keeping your kiester on the seat was the only way to keep traction and forward momentum. Hmmmm. Learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

He really picked up on full drifting in snow (no pun intended) and using the throttle to steer. The kid actually roosted me a few times too when I was trying to take pics.

[​IMG]

We parked for a couple of pics at our mtn-top patio. It was still snowing but man it felt great to be riding in a snowstorm. In fact, we were a little gassed from getting up the mtn.

[​IMG]

When we finally came back down, we blasted across the back fields at full honk, or as close to it as the snow would allow. I'd get up to about 30-35 mph and then hit a depression that was drifted over, and suddenly decelerate dramatically as I plowed into it, then have to drop two gears and power back up to speed. It was hilarious!

The bikes developed an ice shell around the engines from the freezing snow being thrown up. It was open for 1/2 inch around the hot parts, but the carbs were starting to freeze over, literally.

[​IMG]

The nice thing was being able to roll them into a warm garage and let them melt back to normal. No car wash needed!

[​IMG]

I apologize for the gigantor size of the pics, but I'm on a borrowed computer and don't have access to my normal photo edit software. Still, I wanted to post because this was one of the most fun things I've done on two wheels in a while. Completely different than any riding I've ever done before. I told Joe he can handle anything now; snow, sand, or mud. The kid has skills and I think he'll do well on the TAT

jeff
  11. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, Jeff! Looks like fun.

In New England, we would pee on the carbs when they froze up. :evil
  12. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Jeff...takes me back a couple years...

Oh and John...I did clean the GS up for another run...[​IMG]
  13. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Isn't Texas supposed to be warmer than Virginia? It isn't. <bummer>. 50 here in Austin. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Wish I had my bike. The rental POS isn't quite the same. Lol.
  14. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was down there for a Thanksgiving and a week after Xmas on an extended job at IBM. I froze my arse off and had to run to a local Walmart to pick up a bunch of warm clothes. It was COLD.

Many trips down to 6th. St and I found warmth there due to all the masses roaming about. :-)

15. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Attempting to get at the ground and positive connections on the engine. Been sitting in the garage pondering the job and said WTF lets do it.

I'm down to the point of removing the air box and the intake runners from the throttle bodies.

HOW do you or WHAT special tool is required to remove those Bull Sh*t clamps that hold the rubber boots to the air box and throttle bodies, :ear:ear

Need some help fellows !!!!!
  16. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a lot of fun Jeff, I haven't ridden in the snow since the late 70's, did it on a Suzuki DS 370 (I think, it was silver and a 4 stroke thumper, I remember that) its been a long time ago, but it was a blast.
  17. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Hey Kurt I did a quick Google search and came up with this on the LTs, not sure it will help? I'm sure Jeff or Guy will chime in soon enough but thought I'd throw out what I found. Good luck.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38845
  18. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put some different Christmas farkles on the bikes.

1st up was replacing the lost pin from the rear brake caliper. Here was last weeks fix.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with the missing parts replaced. Plenty of blue locktite used on the threaded parts.
    [​IMG]

I have to admit to being new to the strap-on bags. Hopefully I've done it correctly.
    [​IMG]
    I also hooked up a pigtail for my dual heattroller that fits nicely in this little pocket.
    [​IMG]

I also put the bolts to hold the seat back on since Dan seamed concerned I was riding around without them.
  19. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    whatever happened to the exhaust heat shield....burtonrider3889 is making your WR look sad :lol3
  20. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My little bike went through a lot with the PO. At least 2 aftermarket exhausts, 2 gas tanks, long road trips and hare scrambles along with lots of trail riding in the NJ pine barrens. Not everything made it to me. When I bought it, it had a Fmf Q4 installed and the current exhaust was just in a box with a few other parts. The shield wasn't included.

Look at the post to see what it looked like in SM trim with white plastics and a 4.7 gallon tank. It is the same bike, just lots of different things swapped. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16112922&postcount=4021
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The guys avatar pic is still the little WR. Last I heard he was on a KTM.