Boots. Enduro Boot? Adventure Touring Boot?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wobbleside, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Wobbleside

Wobbleside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my current Alpinestars Ridge Boots are dying (to be fair I've used them pretty hard too) and I really don't think they offer nearly enough protection, though they are convenient since I don't own a car and thus go everywhere on my bike. Orginally I was looking at something like the Scout but I couldn't buckle it closed over my calves (I've always had huge, meaty, muscley calves) which is why I bought a shin length boot. Lately I've been wanting to get into dirt riding (try it again for the first time in a decade) and I recognize that my current boots are waaay inadequate for that. By the same token I can't really afford street boots and dirty-MX boots right now. I'm looking for something in between that fits 43 Euro with huge calves. I've looked at the Aerostitch Combat Touring boots but without seeing them in person it's hard to gauge if they'd fit well around my calves.
    Any recommendations? Less than $400 would be the upper limit of my budget.
  2. DefyInertia

DefyInertia Where's my truck?!?

Oddometer:
    Just picked up some sidi adventure rain boots and really like them. My prior experiences include full on race boots (road race) and full on MX boots for dual sporting.

Good protection, comfortable as a lazy boy, and no leakage during multiple river crossings. $400.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced my Sidi Discovery boots with Gaerne Balance oiled. Both boots are softer than an MX boot and easier to walk it. My Gaerne doesn't have a shift pad, though. Both have only 3 buckles classify them as a recreational boot. That means they don't have enough protection for true high performance riding.

Both are infinitely more protective than the velcro or zipper boots. Those things are worthless.
  4. OoPEZoO

OoPEZoO Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my old Oxtar (now branded TCX) Matrix 2 sport touring boots with new TCX Infinity GTX boots. My old boots lasted over 75k miles of daily use, but don't have the support or protection for the type of riding I do now. The adjustable elastic top and lack of a third buckle should help with the big calf issue. I did a bunch of research and couldn't find a bad word written about them. If they hold up as well as my old ones, I will be happy with them.

I was looking at the TCX Infinity's and also the Sidi Adventure and Discovery boots. Revzilla has the Infinity's on sale right now for $323.99 w/ free shipping and you get $15 towards your next purchase if you register an account with them. That was a no brainer for me. They will be here tomorrow.
  5. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue with finding boots that would encapsulate my calves as well. In the end I went up a couple of sizes (from 43 to 46). The boots that I bought are the older BMW Rallye boots (grey and blue). I have been very happy with them both on and off the bike.

Cheers,

M
  6. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do any dirt riding at all, you want a dirt specific boot. The combats and Sidi Discovery boots have no ankle protection. It would suck to have a broken ankle on a trail. There are couple sobering threads on here about crashing with the wrong kind of boot.

I've been very happy with my Gaerne SG10's, they have some front/aft flexibility and were comfortable from day one. They are heavy, very protective boots. Can't speak to the ankle sizing, I have skinny uns, but there seems to be room on mine for a very wide ankle/leg.

It would be better to buy a used (or closeout/last years model) pair of dirt specific boots than new less protective boots. I think I saw SG10's for as low as 320 new. Lots of threads/opinions about this and lots of other high quality boots out there. Here is one thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375767

But, yeah...get some dirt specific boots for dirt riding, especially as a newer dirt rider...you will crash, be ready for it.

Cheers
  7. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    You can almost always find cheap lightly used dirt boots on ebay. That's how i found my pair of alpinestars tech6's for $60.
  8. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I would think that Frisco would be losy with combat touring boots.

I have to say that they are not the best boot for adventure touring. They do not offer a lot of serious protection. Nor are they really all that comfortable for living in. I've owned mine for 15 years now. and they have been my touring boot of choice. But for off pavement work they just are not up to the task.

I've got a pair of Crossfire TA that are comfortable on the bike (If you are used to riding in dirtboots, which are not unlike skiboots) and ok for walking. but if I was on an extended tour and there's a lot of walking going on. I'd not take them.

They are great off road with lots of protection.

Really everything is a balance of features for the riding and everything else you will be doing.

I don't have one pair of boots for this very reason. I have four pairs of MC boots. thankfully most of my MC boots have lasted a long time. 20 years for one pair, 15 for the CBT and 5 so far for the other ones.
  9. Jotaga

Jotaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interested on this discussion, as I am almost at the same situation of the OP.

What about the daytona transopen gtx?? Seems to be a good on/off road choice and also seems to be protective. What do you guys think?:ear
  10. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    +1 for TCX Infinity.

I've had them for a few years now and they are wearing well. Much more protective than touring boots, but not quite dirt boots. Waterproof and easy to walk in, although you wouldn't want to hike the Appalachian Trail in them. . .
  11. Wobbleside

Oddometer:
    Looks like I have a lot of reading to do and possibly pestering local stores to try stuff on. I didn't really know if anyone made an in between boot or even if it would be a good idea. Thanks for the stuff to chew on!
    :clap
  12. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    And then you can think outside the box. I like trials boots. The Novogar Rage series. You can walk in them really well compared to MX boots yet they are protective and pretty waterproof. They are much lighter and more flexible than MX boots. They do not come up as high on your calves either and seem to have a lot of buckle adjustability.
  13. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had Sidi's discovery's for 1, 2.....holy snikes almost 8 years! They are a little beat up but still perform as new. I should probably hit them with some sno seal or something pretty soon so i can get another 8 out of em! :clap
    Easy to walk in, I wouldn't want to hike in them, and good protection with the heal and toe counters and plastic shin guards. Read the reviews at MC superstore above for more opinons.

[​IMG]
  14. mikeash

mikeash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AXO Boxer Enduro for around 100 bucks new.

I Like my combat lites for when it's dirt roads, but nothing too technical.
    I Love my Alpinestars Tech 8's for when I need major bash protection.

The AXO Boxer Enduro is a great compromise. Way more flexible than
    the Tech 8's, and way more protective than the combat lites. They didn't
    require any breaking in, and were comfortable all day right out of the box.

Can't recommend them enough at the 100-120 dollar price range.
  15. BigBeam

BigBeam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tour with my Gaerne Balance - which are actually my trials - boots - waterproof and great to walk in also. Very high quality - at $~350/pr they are expensive but if looked after will last a lifetime. Very highly recommended and only get better with time.

-k-
  16. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have the transopen gtx boots. Of course they have ridiculous Daytona quality but I would not consider them stout enough for offroad use beyond dirt roads or easy trails.
  18. Wobbleside

Oddometer:
    Oh those look good.. I'm actually in San Jose but I have a lot of free time right now.

Right now my list is something like this
    Sidi Discovery Rain Boot
    Gaern G-Adventure Boot
    Sidi Adventure Rain
    TCX Infinity GTX
    Gaern Balance
    I am going to add the G0Midland to it.

I know none of A*s full length boots fit me, I've tried a bunch of them on so they completely off the list, same for Dainese. I wanted a pair of Scout WPs originally but I could close the top buckle and the shop I was at didn't have anything but Sidi street and race boots and some of them almost fit but the ankle was too small on the 2 I tried on. Want to say they were the Mega Rains.. it's been a while.
  19. dabneyr

dabneyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Can you detail a bit the "real off-road protection" of those 3 models?