R1100R Why so overlooked?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by REALGRAVEROBBER, Jan 11, 2010.

1. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that the 95 - 00 BMW R1100R and R1100RT bikes are under appreciated. Was fortunate to have a 1996 R1100R last summer, and now have a 2000 R1100R.

-ABS
    -Tele-lever front suspension (NO brake dive!)
    -Good seat height, adjustable.
    -Fuel-injected
    -Easy to add heated grips ~$200 on ebay), BMW hard bags ($225 from -ibmwr), and windshield ($60 new ebay Cee Bailey)
    -Center and side stands are standard.
    -Fine performer.
    -Modern asthetics.
    -Comfortable for passengers.
    -Shaft drive.

Just got my 2000 R1100R for $2700 off craigslist. My guess is that this is not old enough to be a classic, and not new enough to be blingy. Despite that this bike will tour with the best of them, it only has 5-speeds. Yet the gearing is adequate for all the riding I've done (interstate, in-city, canyons, etc.).

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
  2. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    I agree, I have a 96 1100R and find it to be a great bike. The only thing that I have had a problem with, is the fuel tank only holds 4.5 gal.
  3. cold_fire

cold_fire Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer:
    I was considering one when I got the GS as both bikes are almost identical (apart from the wheels, radiator, suspension travel, windshield and instrument cluster), but I decided against the R as I enjoy practicality instead of looks. And the R is a looker.

The RT is more comfortable, but lacks off-road capability. Also, at that time, I was considering it an "old's man bike". Now I'd give away a kidney for an RT in the winter.
  4. seriousracer

seriousracer be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer:
    i am not f***ng stupid,but i used too. niles mi.
    great bikes i have a bunch of them in the field with over 100k
    women like them because of low seat height so do most beginning smaller riders.
  5. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    They were just good functional bikes without a cartoon image like the sport touring and adventure machines. People are very image conscious.

And, they're a little nerdy.
  6. word1

word1 Can you repeat the question?

Oddometer:
    Ginny (mrs word1) likes her Roadster just fine:
    [​IMG]

It's a '98 with 93k miles - all her's.
    She'll break 100k this year.
    Minimal problems.

Image doesn't mean spit when you love to ride. :nod

_jay
  7. REALGRAVEROBBER

Oddometer:
    Great replies!

On my 2nd R1100R now, and I think they are too low drama -which is what I like!

Minimal maintenance:
    -shaft drive
    -EFI
    -adjust/check easily-accessed valves

I'm 28 years old now (riding since I was 13) and hope to keep this bike until the end of my path!

Oilheads, check out:

ibmwr.org

:kboom
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  8. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

had one a few years back. streety version of the gs. great touring bike, IF you like naked bikes.

sold mine with 100k on it, ran sweet.

i've since decided i like a little more "sport" in "sport touring"
    BOOTLACE likes this.
  9. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had been out of bikes for 8 years, found myself with nose pressed to the glass of a Beemer'ship, and was surprised by the new 1100 Roadster oilhead. My impulsive actions put me into the saddle of a Harley though (XL1200'S'). 2001 arrived, and with it a brand new R1150R; 60,000 miles later I sold it. I loved that bike!

Having fallen so deeply in love with the cosmetic appeal of my '01 1150 Roadster, it's hard for me to find the 1100 attractive. But I'm a short guy, and the 1100 can be set up rather easily for short inseams. If I were to fall into a heck-of-a-deal for an 1100 Roadster, I might be inclined to give it a go.

Some people insist that the 1100's engine had stronger roll-on torque than the newer 1150. Others complain that the 3 spoke mags of the 1100 were soft and required higher air pressures.....; I kinda like the spoke wheels that take the tubeless tires. I would imagine that the fuel injection system on the 1100 was the same Bosch fuel injection on the 1150s, so I guess there would be the "surge" issue (it didn't bother me though).

In short, I find the 1100 to be on the ugly side, but those 60,000 miles on my 1150 convinced me that BMW is not about cosmetics, it's their ability to do the job.... and do it well!
  10. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i agree, the 1100 looks clunky next to the 1150, and especially the 1200 roadsters. they definitely improved the aesthetics of the swingarm and transmission in the later bikes.

the six speed didn't really get you anything though, as 1st and top gear were essentially the same. guess it gave you a choice of gears in the corners.
  11. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    I don't really think this bike fits into the Road Warrior description, if truth be told :huh

Its a bit bland and does not really stir up any emotion, or much excitement either.... :snore
  12. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    I ran an 1100rt exhaust on my 1100r and a full size bag., added ohlins and that bike was awesome.
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    An R1100r was my first bike after deciding that I didn't want a cruiser anymore. Not sure why, (it is kinda ugly), but I like the looks much better then the newer R1150/1200r bikes.
    The only thing I didn't like as much was the seat height. Even on the tall setting wasn't tall enough. At the time I had it, it didn't occur to me that I could have gotten a custom "tall" seat made.
    Great bike, wouldn't mind having another some day.
  14. Threewheelbonnie

Threewheelbonnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a solo I got bored due to an inability to do anything except go a long way very quickly (once the first year of BMW built in mechanical "interest" was over anyway, but even that got boring when the chrome fell off the second front shock). As an outfit the electrics were shot at six years old, so it had to go. There are other bikes that can do what the R1100R can yet don't turn into a two wheeled car. And after six years I was still looking for a way to get shot of those stupid Lego designed controls, yet I lived with them all the time I kept blowing the horn to cancel the indicators.

It's an odd bike that I can't bring myself to either love or hate though, a weird combination of boring competance, weird design and points of really poor quality.

Andy
  15. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    If I was looking for a bike I would give the R a lot of consideration
    danisOTR likes this.
  16. moto_loco

moto_loco poser extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I think you got a hell of a deal...I didn't always like them, but they grew
    on me. Two up, long distance-savvy and looks like nothing else on the road.

The seat, panniers and windscreen's cost were higher than you paid...:thumbup
  17. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that pretty much says it...and nicer than I would've :D
  18. REALGRAVEROBBER

Oddometer:
    So much of this depends on what the goals of the rider are.

I tend to be drawn to hobbies that are purpose oriented. Motorcycling, aviation, snowmobiling, skiing, bicycling, metal fabrication ... these usually deemphasize things like asthetics of a transmission, style of blinker buttons, etc. and leave my decisions guided by asking 'does it work?'

The 1200GS, 1150GS and many other things look fancier, have a greater power/weight ratio, and some other valid features. Yet, being blessed to have owned and ridden some fine machines, I have learned to value:

-practical seat height to decrease me dropping the bike in adverse conditions.
    -unit reliability
    -EFI
    -comfy passenger gig
    -affordable
    -safety (ABS, no-dive telelever, big engine)
    -luggage potential
    -low maintenance (shaft drive)
    -and hopefully something that is a little different when my bike is lined up with 30 others.

The R1100R's really shine when held to the above factors.

I think there are so many great models available, it is hard to choose. Considering what the 1100R's offer, after riding one I think you will agree that it is hard to beat for the cost.

My $0.02

:freaky
    Decimus, TonyKZ1 and ak bike like this.
  19. shikataganai

shikataganai moof

Oddometer:
    You did get a great deal, but the original owner didn't fare nearly as well financially! :rofl I'd argue that any of the Japanese standards from that era are realistically likely to show up on the market for less (e.g., ZRX1100R, ZRX1200R, Bandit 1200/1250).
  20. goatroper

goatroper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are fun house mirror ugly.