headlight issues on Honda Elite 150 Deluxe, 1985

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by chongman99, Jun 2, 2014.

1. chongman99

chongman99 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am having intermittent headlight issues on a 1985 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe.

Is there a lockout or something with the headlight motor that will keep the headlight from turning on?

UPDATE: SOLVED, see my last post,a bout 6 messages down.

my troubleshooting:
    1. Headlights didn't work.
    2. Disassembled the switch on the left handlebar. Figured out there was a bad contact because there was voltage to the wires but not on the switch.
    3. Resoldered the wire and cleaned with contact cleaner.
    4. Verified that the headlights worked. (Both brights and normal)
    5. Two days later, headlights no longer work. (Did a bunch of work on the rear tire area, and reassembled the front covers.)
    6. Disassembled the switch on the left handlebar.
    7. Now there is no voltage on any of the headlight wires. (!)

The headlight motor on the deluxe has been disconnected (former owner did it. I bought the bike 1 week ago). I can't figure out why there used to be voltage (step #2) but now there isn't voltage (step #3). My first guess is something I don't understand with the headlight motor. My second guess is that I jingled some wire and now there is a loose wire somewhere.

I checked the fuses, they are okay.
    All other lights work.

Help? and Thanks!

PS. I sprayed non-conductive contact cleaner through the "multi-coupler" (the white/beige junction box where all the wires connect). I don't think this screwed anything up or fixed anything. All the other lights are okay.
  2. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    My strategy is to return to stock condition. Then the manual can help you.
  3. scooterryder

scooterryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I remember, there is a headlamp relay in the system to kill the headlamp while starting. You may try looking there. I believe it is behind the fairing.
  4. topless

topless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. chongman99

chongman99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. So far, letting the bike sit produced some interesting effect. The headlight just started working again. It may be an issue with humidity and an electrical condition. I will post updates as I since this.

I think there is either a pop-up headlight motor or starting relay that kills power to the lights as suggested. I'll keep fishing around the shop manual.
  6. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    may also be 29 year old bulb ?? Real dont know if any other bulb from auto would fit but someone may know. Dumb to ask did you try both high and low ?
  7. chongman99

chongman99 n00b

Oddometer:
    SOLVED!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. SCOOTERRYDER is the one who was most right. It turns out it was a loose connection with the starter motor switch on the right handlebar. When I wiggle that switch, the headlight comes on. If I wiggle it some more, it goes off. Time to clean the switch.

Both the lamps do work.

Thanks!