The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice videos Tallguy. I'm a little confused on how that BMW one world tour works. I thought there were five riders riding together, but I only see one in this video. So does each rider only ride one continent of the five listed and rides solo? :ear
  2. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I have no clue either, BMW is doing a good job with all these video and pictures, there seems to be no shortage of them.
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    One for each part of the tour.

ALESSIO CIGOLINI - Asia
    SALVADOR ECHEVARRÍA - South Africa
    HERBERT UNGER - New Zealand
    STEPHANE GAUTRONNEAU - USA
    STEPHANIE ROWE - Europe

Can be found here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...ion/ride-of-your-life/overview.html&notrack=1
  4. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    Yep. There are five winners and each rides a selected route on one of the five continents. They have a small back up/camera crew but they are riding solo.
  5. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I see, thanks. That's fantastic marketing. The motorcycle you get for free but you pay for the lifestyle when going with a BMW, the ride of your life..., I just wish my Sunday morning rides were that great, I'm afraid they are mostly boring compared to what I see here :(:
  6. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    And in my opinion, better is yet to come. I am familiar with some of the routes they will be taking on some of the other continents and cant wait to see their pictures and videos.
  7. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    I'm very concerned that that LED headlight is a sideways horseshoe. How then can good luck not fall out? Not good. Not good at all. :rofl

All kidding aside. Why do GS riders immediately stand up when the road has only pebbles on it? I just rewatched On Any Sunday (for the 48th time - more or less) and Malcolm Smith remained seated unless there was a big obstacle in front of him. Was he wrong? Is the GS really that demanding?

Sorry. Bored and just passing time. :1drink
  8. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oalvarez, have u ridden a Diavel? I think the WC GS and a Diavel would be great stable mates. I'm considering the new GS or the 1190 ADV to go along with my Diavel.
  9. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:

It's a good question.

I was in the Baja last year and I was standing up on my GSA doing everything I could to keep the packed 700lbs beast upright when I looked to my left and my friend cruised past me sitting down doing 20mph faster.

Different riders, bikes, skills, etc.
  10. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Main problem with that bike is the awfull amount of electronics ready to break ... Particularly with the electronic suspension which is incredeably expensive to repair. $3000 and more ...

Already, dealers can't repair it ..

Paul Jr
  11. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    True statement because the bike isn't even out yet! :evil:D
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Probably a good idea if you don't buy one!:deal

Jim :brow
  13. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding ... I just said that dealers have a hard time when facing problems on the actual GS. I.e. 2012 AND OLDER. 2013 GS reportedly packs much more ...

Paul Jr
  14. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    Modern cars have an "awfull amount of electronics" compared to the past and yet they have become much more reliable and maintenance free so I don't know why the electronics are being seen as "ready to break". I still play around with old bikes and can't see them as having the edge with reliability.
  15. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go GS. You've already got one that's high maintenance...

:evil
  16. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    So they did end up picking a USA winner? Wasn't there a huge stink on this same thread a few weeks ago because there wasn't enough diversity in the winners?
  17. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    +1. Constantly tinkering on my 73 R75 airhead, 56k miles. 2005 oilhead, 38k miles, not a problem.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No, that is just the person that will ride the USA route!

Jim :brow
  19. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Jim, I was just about to nuke my post, cause I was reading it on the BMW site! :norton
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Who cares? There is never any real diversity. They pick people that will look good for the marketing. Deal done. European company, more likely to get European winners. The US is the second biggest market but it's still only 11% of the overall sales (2012).

So - they pick what looks good and other than the handful of people that applied and are pissed because they weren't chosen, nobody cares. And they're not chosen because of diversity issues. They were likely not chosen because they didn't look good enough for the marketing material for the target market. :lol3