Dealer tires normally significantly more $ than online?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tibbon, May 2, 2014.

1. tibbon

tibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to order a set of Karoo 3's for my R1200GS. My local dealer (Greater Boston Motorsports) wanted $280 + tax + $40 install for the rear tire alone. Revzilla is asking $208.70 (no tax, free shipping, ~$8 'Revilla Cash' back).

I told my dealer that I respect their pricing normally, but that it was a bit high. They said they could come down to $260. And no, they didn't have it in stock- they'd have to order it and that would take a week.

Are dealers normally so jacked up on tires? Paying over $500 for a set of tires installed seems kinda insane. I could get a set of 4 tires installed on a BMW 328i for like $650 or so...

I tried the local Ducati dealership (Riverside Motors), and they weren't even sure they could get the tires in... and didn't want to take the wheels off a BMW because of the 'special tools' (Torx???) needed to do it.

I'm trying to give my local dealers business, but they don't seem to want to even reasonably try to compete. I was on hold with GBM for longer than I was on the phone the entire time with Revzilla. Is there such thing as a good dealer with reasonable prices? I just bought a $20,000 bike from them... you'd think they could slide work with me a little here..
  2. elnonio

elnonio shedding n00bness

Oddometer:
    It adds up, operating a dealership. If you could do it for less, perhaps you should consider going in business? Don't mean to be flippant, but your perspective would be radically different if you weren't in the customers shoes
  3. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires can frequently be purchased online for below dealer cost.
  4. Justice

Justice Funbuster

Oddometer:
    The dealer needs to make a profit for sure.
    But... There's a difference between making a profit and raping your customer.
    You know they are getting the tire for less than $208 from their supplier (if not they need to get their tires from Revzilla). Why the huge mark-up.
    I understand the higher operating costs of a brick and mortar business and I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium to support my local dealer (10% sounds fair).
    So I would expect to pay $230 +tax and $40 to install. The local dealer makes a little cash (and gets me into the store where I might see something else I want to buy), I got a deal off retail, everybody's happy.
    Any more of a price difference than that and you would be stupid to buy locally. You are just throwing your money away. If the dealer expects charity, they should consider going out of business. Not trying to be flippant, but why would they expect anyone to throw away money? Times are tough for everyone.
  5. Justice

Justice Funbuster

Oddometer:
    Then the dealer should purchase online.
  6. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dealers around me don't charge an install fee if you buy it from them. Their margin is in the tire price. That is fair but I still install my own tires.
  7. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Went ot my local motorcycle parts supplier, wanting to buy a battery. $190.00cad was their price. Local internet supplier offers the exact same battery for $140.00cad and free shipping. I tell the clerk that online businesses are serious competitors and that when there's a 40% price difference, it is hard to be convinced to support your local supplier... "Yeah, but we offer service"... Hold on. What will you do that the postman won't? Will you install the battery for me and will it be free? Nop. So, I bought the battery online. Buying my tires online too. So, as much as I want to support local businesses (in fact the online supplier happens to also be local), I don't want to be raped to do so...
  8. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get my dealer to fit tyres. I get 20% discount on retail, and need one set/year. Unfortunately, that is only after 4000 mls. Pricing might be a little too much, but to me it's worth having the dealer relationship, and knowing the work has been done 100%
  9. Absolutediver

Absolutediver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ONLINE deals do happen, just stay on the lookout and pounce when you see a deal. In summary, it pays to surf.

Two months ago while on the www.motorcycle-superstore.com web site I was looking for brake pads and clicked on their CLOSEOUT tab, then tires. They had listed a Metzler Tourance EXP 150/70 17" (rear tire) for $103.00 with free shipping. In retrospect at that price I probably should have ordered two but only ordered one because my storage space is limited. I have a local guy who mounts and balances tires for $30.00 cash if I bring him the tire & rim. $133.00 total for a new Metzler is a no brainer!
  10. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    My dealer, Rayzees in North Kingstown RI, will match any online price.
  11. n1tr0

n1tr0 Dual Sport rider

Oddometer:
    Why should he have to go into business for himself if he just wants some tires installed at a fair price.
    My dealership wants well over $500 for a pair of TKC's installed. I can buy them online for $300 and have an independent shop do the install and balancing for $40/wheel, or $20/wheel if I take the wheels off the bike and bring them in myself.

Dealerships seem to operate on the premise that their customers are too stupid to shop around and 'premium' brands like BMW even more so. It would be nice if 'premium' brands offered more 'premium' treatment, until then I'll keep supporting the independent shops.
  12. tibbon

tibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally agreed. If they got it to me faster or always had it in stock or did a free install, etc... then I'd absolutely go with my local guy.

But, they are going to be more expensive, slower to get it to me than shipping, never have anything useful in stock, and are going to charge me a goodly sum for the install.
  13. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 57 and this situation with dealers charging a lot more for tires has existed most of my adult life. Like the OP, I would like to give the local brick and mortar shops my business but when their prices are too far apart from the online guys, it is hard to justify. My sense is that the local shops don't think tires are worth their effort for anything less and none of them have a selection of tires on the shelf available for purchase the same day. I suspect most of these dealers make more money on other power sports equipment and lawn and garden equipment. All of this has led me to buy a Harbor Freight tire changing stand and tools to do the job myself. The last dealer I tried to do business with wanted his big mark up and he wanted me to pull the wheels off my beemer and drop them off at his shop. That was the last straw.

I understand that they need to cover expenses and have a right to make a profit but the typical tire markup is more than I can stomach and it does keep me from spending money on other things in his store.
  14. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    Strongly disagree
  15. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Last year I had to change tires in route and I had it done at Basin Moto in Colorado. My total bill was something like $650, which I thought was very expensive. But looking at it line by line changed my opinion. The tires were somewhat more expensive than online, but to have them in the shop waiting for me was a convenience worth the price. Also Harry (the owner of the shop) had to add sales taxes and tire disposal fees- and he had no control over it. The labor itself was $90 or so- quite reasonable for the full service. A local shop charges me $40 to mount and balance tire off the bike, and their craftsmanship is not quite on Harry's level.
  16. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer will only mount tires purched there. I've moved my business to another dealer. Although they're a few miles further, it's comforting to know I have their support.

Paul
  17. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I think more dealers are enthusiasts than they are savvy businessmen. IMHO, they fail to understand that competition is a real force in the market that affects them. Max BMW seems to be at least somewhat of an exception to this, as they seem to have relatively competitive tire pricing.

I got a hole in a Tourance Next (rear) last year with very few miles on my new bike, and first called the local dealer who I had recently bought the bike from to see how much a new tire was. His parts guy quoted me somethign like 80 or 90 bucks more than mail order and he didn't have any in stock.

Needless to say, I mail ordered the tire and mounted and balanced it myself. I have been mounting my own tires for a very long time now and buying mail order, but every time I give the local guy a shot, he is sky high.
  18. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most dealers I've been to charge $25 per tire if you bring them the rim/tire off the bike. All you need is a center stand or a jack. It's also a good time to check brake pads, bearings, general wear. I agree sometimes you just don't want to deal with it and prefer to spend your time riding and not wrenching, but that comes at a cost. Whether the mechanic is doing an engine overhaul, or changing tires, time is time and it's the same hourly rate.

As for dealer prices of the tires and other things in general, they are simply ludicrous nearly all around. I'm picking up a new Vstrom tomorrow and the dealer promised a killer deal on accessories...I already know exactly what I want and will have the prices for revzilla/twisted throttle on hand, if it's not cheaper then I'll call him on it and take it from there. If within a few bucks I'll go through him, otherwise forget it as revzilla's return policy is unmatched.
  19. Curvesurfer

Curvesurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some dealers match online prices, others won't. Some will install tires purchased from a 3rd party, others won't. Some will accept shipments from 3rd parties, others won't.

But I think in general you'll pay more for both parts and labor at a dealer than online or an independent shop.

We have a local guy in SF who only does tires. Buy online, ship directly to him, roll up to his little shop on your bike and he does it while you watch.
  20. milo

milo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you buy tires through a dealer it's just the way it usually is. I had to pay $600 for a set when I was traveling in California and it was just for a F650 GS. Even worse a poor lady from Canada got charged $700 for a set for her F800 at the BMW dealer in Denver Colorado :eek1.
    Many years ago I started changing and balancing them myself both to save money and for the convenience. Other than that time in California I can't remember the last time I bought tires at a dealer? I just bought a set of Conti Trail Attacks from Southwest Moto for my 2014 GSA. I ordered them Monday and they arrived Wednesday, they were $255 delivered for the set.

If you have any riding friends near by you might consider going together and buying a balancer with an adapter for BMW's rear wheel, and bead breaker. Those along with nice tire irons, rim protectors, and you're in business. Find someone that changes them to help you the first time.