Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not playing gotcha! but honestly, WD40 IS NOT! one of the better products for releasing a bolt.I like it for a few things and that isn't one of them. This will probably start an avalance of various goops that are for sale to bust loose parts,etc. but simple acetone/atf mixture works great. As to the bolt that broke-anybodys guess why-the wrench,dirt,etc.. There are several brands of drill and twist out type removers-I've had the same set of Cleveland brand since the 1960's & 70's when a pro wrench guy. Also left hand drills can do the job-BUT you can also end up with a broken drill bit to remove! Taps are a more difficult subject. Yours was an easy looking one to tell the truth, what with acessibility. There was likely no need for solvent to remove that bolt in the first place. Having the hole/threads very clean are next & a feel for or new T-wrench.

Arte: Last time I was in your destination town of Guanajauto I couldn't find a hotel I could afford or that even had a room at all & ended up leaving town -any suggestions? I plan to be there again in March. Thanks
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to Mexico Safe topics- Is Eagle Pass a good choice for a crossing these days? Safe & no lines to wait,etc..
  3. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im assuming you still have the KLR. My bro in law just got a drz-400 and its a fun bike! I wish i had one of those in fresnillo instead of the KLR.
  4. TeeRar

TeeRar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In July 2010, traveling from Mexico to Texas, Hurricane Alex made me deviate from my planned crossing and forced me to cross at Eagle Pass and it could not have gone smoother (the crossing not the deviation). Going from USA to Mexico looked very smooth also.

Hope that helps
  5. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    The best deal cost are:
    (these are in the big market area)
    Posada Juarez.
    Reforma.
    Central.
    Del Carmen.
    San Francisco.

two blocks from the market:
    Max
    Gran hotel
    Dos rios.

Guanajuato is a walking city, so no matter where you stay, you will need to walk to know the city, so try these ones.

google them and maybe you could do a reservation ahead. suerte!

Arte
  6. Paloma Paul

Paloma Paul Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Imuris Mexico and had no problems. My opinion is Mexico is very safe. The violence centers around drugs. If you are looking for trouble you can find it......not only in Mexico but most anywhere you care to look.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Now that I give my last visit more thought-I couldn't find a place to park my bike either! Even to just go for a walk! I can't say that has ever been the same problem in many other places in Mexico. I remember trying to park at a hotel near the top of a hilly street and being told to park in a certain spot near the bar? and then about the time I was ready to walk away the guy comes and makes me move. After several hrs of similar wasted efforts I rode to Delores Hidalgo and enjoyed a town with less "buzz"! I'll check out the places youv'e named, thanks again.
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Things have been pretty peaceful all along the border for the last several weeks. Especially peaceful around Eagle Pass.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Things have been almost too quiet here.
    Except where those stealing petroleum from the Pemex pipeline in Puebla are concerned.
    Damn shame.
    Same every year, a pipeline explosion, a bus plunge or two, a few fireworks accidents and the odd one that levels an entire city block or two, thank God the narcos find religion at Christmas.
    Is Mexico safe for Santa?
    He is at my house!
    And the 3 Kings will be dropping by in January with their gifts, too.
    Jamon de pierna is on the menu, pavo injected with red wine, green spaghetti, and some bacalao for good measure.

My wish to all is that your champagne glasses have 12 grapes in them this holiday season!
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Guajolote
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Best wishes, and may the New Year be as good or better for all concerned.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like Eagle Pass to cross; once across w/ tourist visa, all you do is motor to Allende for a very convenient TVIP. I love that feeling of having the TVIP and a couple weeks to ride.
    jim
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I was in your destination town of Guanajauto I couldn't find a hotel I could afford or that even had a room at all & ended up leaving town -any suggestions? I plan to be there again in March. Thanks[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly- and my solution. Try the hotels in Silao, the town is only an easy 20 minute ride west of GTO and has plenty of good cheap hotel space. I've stayed there multiple times .Do Guanajuato on day visits, find a commercial parking lot and leave the bike to walk around, then head back to Silao or wherever you are headed before the second or third or... night. You could spend more time inside GTO city just searching the maze for your hotel.
    Silao's bestest econo hotels,about 4 of them, are on the road to/from GTO just west of the Mex 45 interchange on the east side of the town.A few km north there is a big new tower chain hotel beside the highway if you insist on dropping a lot of cash.
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    <EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/ihW56Xa3XGQ?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Feliz Navidad
    Feliz Navidad
    Feliz Navidad
    Prospero Año y Felicidad.

Feliz Navidad
    Feliz Navidad
    Feliz Navidad
    Prospero Año y Felicidad.

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
    From the bottom of my heart.
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it isn't because it is coming from Costco. ;)
    But thanks for your thoughts!
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    BREAKING NEWS. The Border Patrol has been driving up and down the road in front of here with their flashing lights running, and their helicopter buzz'd the RV park about 30 minutes ago. The local TV is reporting that they are on the hunt for an aircraft that has overflown the border several times in the last hour. Described as red, piloted by a gringo with a white beard. Stay tuned for more news.
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Here is a photo of an accomplice, known to be operating in Mexico

[​IMG]
  18. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    I'm headed over the border tomorrow. Jeri and I are taking my Jeep over, no moto this time. We're enjoying a great hotel deal in Scottsdale tonight.
    Looking forward to an authentic Mexico travel experience.
  19. Howiezowie

Howiezowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike from Dunedin NZ.
    It's Xmas day here - hope you're keeping well.
    Good to see you are still on the move and no moss growing.
    Shame we can't share a glass of savie and a bowl of strawberries.
    Take care

Howie
    Backroads Bikes
  20. Wind-venture

Wind-venture Banned

Oddometer:
    Wasn't a good Christmas for these folks

Mexico says its troops killed US man

Three soldiers have been charged with killing her son. Two have been charged with planting the assault rifle in his hands and claiming falsely that he fired first, according to a Mexican important]Defense Department document sent to her through the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

It is at least the third case this year in which soldiers, locked in a brutal battle with drug cartels, have been accused of killing innocent civilians and faking evidence in cover-ups.