Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

i don't think you guys will even have the time to soak in the tub if you want to be back by dinner time @ 6pm. well maybe if you make good time.

it will be fun but going to be a looooong day. imho, this is one of the best routes. not too far from the PSR and the roads have mixed terrain. hold your breath if you're looking for nekkid college or swedish girls....:lol3

pablo and bob will be there. arrange with them if you will need fuel.

andy, the gsa is so purdy. take the xchallenge. you will have more fun.
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I am in a no ride condition. Broken rib and collar bone, 1 plate, 18 screws and some Zombie material installed. Pablo has offered to let me ride with him :clap. So I'll be his official beer tester. I would hate to see you guys get a bad batch of beer on the trail. :freaky
  3. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I'm in on Sat.

Heirhead
    Worlds worst mechanic
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    My noob buddy Greg will need a ride group Saturday when I'm gone to Cerro Gordo, so pencil him in. If you start a ride sign up I'll add him on.
  5. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Hiya, Joel :wave

We did indeed.

Nope, belongs to another guy in our group. I was riding my 950 SE.
  6. pinevalley

pinevalley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell Yes...In

7. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A recent tragedy has (among other things :cry) scrambled my spring travel plans, which now leaves me in a positon to attend the nOOb Rally.
    While I had not previously planned on going, spending time with new and old friends sounds like a really good idea right now.

Joel has graciously bumped me to the IN list on condition that I herd cats to the hot springs (and back? :evil) on friday. No problem, I can even put together a gps file for anyone who needs (though not really necessary for this ride). As mentioned previously, it is about 150miles round trip. Get a somewhat early start and there should be time for a short soak. Maybe even check out a couple landmarks and an alternate route on the way back.

:thumb

Actually, I am planning to take the whole week off... Leaving home on saturday (3/23), do some exploring beyond DV into Nevada, working my way back to PSR on thursday (3/28). Not sure yet exactly where I may go, but I have several interesting waypoints and routes on my "haven't been there yet" list. If anyone is interested in joining in on that little adventure, let me know.

:deal

Furthermore, I may get my dad to meet me at Ballarat saturday morning to do the Pleasant / South Park loop and maybe Goler / Striped Butte as well. If so, I would have him bring up my 525 and we could take on a couple others for an easy-paced but challenging ride in the Panamint Range.

:ricky

-M
  8. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HTML:
    Will bring blinders if any 50-65 yr old Necked men are there.
    I can see THAT in the mirror. Not pretty.

this is a falsehood! :ddog if you squint real hard and stare at our feet,
    we are drop dead gorgeous........
    or soon will be
  9. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to have problems seeing my feet!
  10. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Like matt, joel was able to slip me in after a few dropped out. Have never been on a bike in D.V. only on family trips passing through. I am truely looking forward to this excursion & WISH i could join matt before the D.V. destination, sounds good, no real plan. Sea you boys in a few weeks & hopefully have the SE equipped with ken's (powercell) new fuel tank. I'll be leaving EARLY friday morning if anybody is interested in hooking up, i live in santa clarita right off the 14. Till then everybody enjoy & sea ya soon!

RIDE ON!
  11. nsfw

Oddometer:
    matt thanks for falling into my trap....:D yeah, baby sitting :baby 6 or more noobs is nothing you haven't done before. i hope one or 2 of them guys will turn out to be another ersin.....:clap

chris (browneye) is in charge of the group rides, easier to track down and remember. pls. start one here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20054941&postcount=6

my friday (what else could go wrong) ride is not getting any attention...:cry so far only 1 noob signed up, guess the rest want something more exciting...:lol3 if it ends up just 2 of us, we may just join your group (me sweep) but i will have to turn around @ 1 pm and head back to camp to prep dinner.

i love to join you saturday if there's still room, except you have to bring me back to camp before 4pm.

those arriving before thursday, contact matt and you guys just found yourself a good guide.

good to have you shawn. if you want some of your gear or drinks hauled up to PSR, just PM me. i'll be leaving wednesday afternoon here in burbank.

and if you get to PSR before 9 on friday, you may be able to join some of the groups that are not filled up....like mine...:evil
  12. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    I am coming into Panamint Springs Campground late on the 22nd and spending the week exploring the area as well. It would be great to tag along on any rides you might be doing. I will be returning to the Campground nightly. Black Dodge Ram and Tent-trailer.
  13. nsfw

Oddometer:
  14. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey All. Glen the adventuredog here. Really looking forward to this event! I'll be getting dropped off (very uncerimoniously) by my fam on the 395 on the way down from Mammoth on Wednesday 3/27. Wondering if riding in on my 690E around noon will give me enough time to get to camp on dirt or should I stick to the pavement? Does anyone have a gpx file for a good trail or slab with a little parallel dirt excursion(s)? Anyone care to join me?

Also not looking too forward to riding all the way back to LA on the 690 after a few days of rallying. Actually, I'd like to preserve what's left of my marriage (apparently interupting child's spring break for moto-indulgence is unacceptable even if I've just treated them to a week on the slopes) by being home for Easter Sunday. Can anyone returning to LA on Sat night haul me and my bike back? Avoiding divorce keeps the toy box well stocked and makes for lots of therapeutic excursions with the boys. And there's nothing wrong with devilled eggs and lambchops on Easter either :wink:

I guess if that doesn't pan out, a Sunday or Monday lift would be helpful.

15. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    It was mine, sold it to a friend in our group who went out with us. Still have my 690 Rallye though, hanging on to that one :wink:

Hope you have a great time out there, Joel.
  16. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested in that ride to the springs with the advanced rider leading the noobs.
  17. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Argh, I didn't realize Easter fell on the 31st this year. Why can't they keep Easter in April like it's supposed to be! I blame the Pope, he sholud be fired!

I'll still be at the event but will probably have to leave early Sunday (not sure I'll have the motivation for a Saturday night departure); need to talk to the wife about it.

How much does your 690 weigh? I'll have the KLR on a trailer but it's a small trailer, we can likely fit two large bikes on it but I'll have to do a weight check.

I'll also be in Mammoth with my family the wekeend before, from Friday though Sunday.
  18. rider914

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but I will not be staying at PSR until thursday (3/27).
    Possible I may pass thru earlier in the week, but not sure yet.

-M
  19. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be so cool to fire the pope after two days on the job! Now there's a scandal even the Catholics could feel good about.

bike weighs about half of your bike! :D Say 350 lbs wet . I'm pretty light too! 170 dry. Happy to drive too if you want.
  20. rider914

Oddometer:
    Found this on another forum...

http://vimeo.com/wildpilots/deathvalleyvork

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/60530560?byline=0&amp;color=f00004" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/60530560">Wild Pilots at Death Valley - Vork's Take</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/wildpilots">WildPilots</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

-M