Garmin 60scx problem

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by rogerdodger, Jan 5, 2011.

1. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I havent used my GPS for a couple of months. The other day I loaded a new map from OSM and everything was working fine. I hooked the GPS up to the laptop and was looking at the days data on JOSM. Then the next day I went out with the unit and noticed it was giving me a straight line, the pointer was pointing different directions as I moved the unit, but it still only ran in a straight line. It also doesnt seem to use any memory on the track log and stayed at 1%.

I've deleted all previous data, tried setting it back to default settings, but it still only runs in a straight line.

Anyone any idea what is going on?

Thanks
    Rog
  2. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    No one got any ideas what is making it do this?
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Is it still displaying the maps? Straight line can indicate attempted routing with a non-routable mapset, or unit is set to "off road" preference for some reason. Maybe the .img file is not there and it is using the basemap?
    More info required.
  4. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Yeah I just started to wonder if it was a problem with the new OSm map I loaded, although like I say it worked fine with it for one day. I just un checked the OSm map and now its only displaying the basemap. Went for a walk and still it just tracks in a straight line. Even if it was set to off road it would still make turns when I turned and all it does is go in a straight line and like i say its not using any memory. When I first noticed this was after a long run and it had tracked a long straight line and only used 1% of memory and it was set to record every 1 second.
  5. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:
    It routes in a straight line or you have crazy long tracks in a straight line ?

If its the routes, your new map probably isn't routeable. The maps I've gotten from gpsfiledepot are not routeable like the garmin official ones so they just give you the straight line distance (as if it was on off-road mode, because the garmin can't see the roads on that map)

If its the tracks,
    Mine does that too.... I think it happens when it combines the track logs and then connects the dots in between... if you load up the tracks on the computer you can highlight each one individually and then delete the offender.
  6. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Ah I had forgotten I have to be careful with my use of track and route.

It routes in a straight line. But the map I used was a routable OSM map, ive used them before with no problem and it worked for a day, before it started having this problem. Plus the fact that Ive now turned off the OSm map and it still routes in a straight line on the basemap.

Here's something else that is weird. It will only zoom in to 5m.
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Have you tried a hard reset? I don't remember the button sequence, but I'm sure you can find it via Google.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It will likely only ever route in straight lines on the basemap, as it contains bugger-all roads.
    The reset option sounds good.
    I dunno about the 5m zoom, that may also be a limitation of the basemap?
  9. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:
  10. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    And the winner is....Dave with hard reset! thanks buddy
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the prize?
  12. T-Stoff

T-Stoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about (re)posting that reset button sequence here, for those "just in case we get the same problem too" scenarios? Will save some a reGoogle.
  13. Joerg

Joerg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lazy you are :evil ... and bookmark this place thou shalt :D

To perform a master reset, hold ENTER+PAGE while turning the unit on.Be aware that this will clear everything, even your customized Welcome screen.

Btw, the issue mentioned by the OP can be due to the SD card making improper connections - it has been reported several times. To avoid that, just put a small piece of paper together with the SD card in the holder.
  14. T-Stoff

T-Stoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <DD> </DD><DD>No. Unfortunate that I rushed to ask it... that incomplete was my training. Not ready for the burden was I. :cry</DD>
    Thank you. I'm sorry to have missed Lausanne when I visited Luzern some years back.