Innovative tents, Malamoo etc

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by munchmeister, Nov 10, 2014.

1. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    First snow today so its time to hunker down for the winter and start thinking about next spring and summer camping on a ride. I'm gettin' old, body is battered from nasty crashes, bad back and weak knees so I start looking for stuff that is easier to set up, tear down, without all the ups and downs of threading poles, etc. The Malamoo would take care of ease of setup if you could figure a way to mount the 30" diameter, folded size of this tent. Sure would be easy to make a quick camp and quick to leave in the morning.

Any body used one of these?

http://www.oztent.us/malamoorange/malamoo-classic#.VGF-0_nF98E

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a pretty cool innovation, albeit heavy and at 40" in length it would be tough fit on the bike. Bummer.

[​IMG]

I've got an Outpost tent, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Nothing too innovative about the Outpost but it does have a nice vestibule and a lot cheaper than the other big vestibule tent, the Redverz.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6695447&postcount=5

Am I missing anything new and different in the tent world?
  2. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    This?
    [​IMG]

Big Agnes Wyoming Trail SL2. About $350 on sale with the footprint. Not as big as the Redverz but works for me just fine.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Hammock....

That BA SL2 above looks sweet though.. must research.
  4. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SL is the 'light' model of that tent. If you don't mind a little extra weight, the 'camp' model is a bit cheaper (seen it for $275 on sale at Amazon). I think on the Camp the vestibule opens from the front rather than the side.

If you're looking for fast and easy setup, check out inflatable tents like this one - http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Morpho+Elite+2P
  5. WindBlast

Oddometer:
    That is true. The Camp model is taller, heavier, with longer poles, end opening, and has another entrance and small vestibule at the tent end. Too big to fit in my present setup so I went with the SL2. Loving it so far but I wish this one had the end opening like the camp version.
  6. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the French version of the OZ tent called Quechua. As I recall (from memory :rofl), they make a one man tent which has a diameter of about two feet folded. Do some Googling and you will see some photos of innovative ways some ADVers type riders rig it on their bikes.
  7. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the Nemo with that air beam tech. With a tire pump, it would be even easier to set up. Likey.
  8. Twistn'roads

Twistn'roads Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the 2013 version of the Big Agnes Wyoming Trail SL2 without the footprint at REI Outlet for $260.73 and got an additional $52.15 discount with my REI membership. $208.58 is a pretty good price I think. :deal I'm only interested in having a footprint under the tent area so I'll probably make up something from Tyvek or such.

http://www.rei.com/product/871758/big-agnes-wyoming-trail-sl2-tent-2013-closeout

~TR~
  9. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

78cm wide packed! :eek1

That's almost a meter wide, nit really bike friendly is it.
  10. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used one on a 2 week trip on my DR once,it broke and I never replaced it

Attached Files:

11. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Set up

Attached Files:

12. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used a tent cot that is something like the bunker thing in your post, you get a great nights sleep, but it does pack up big, and it is pretty much just good for sleeping. I think that I can set up the tent cot in under 5 minutes. I just bought a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 tent and ordered a travelchair cot, this way all of my camping gear will fit in my side cases, and everything else will fit in my top case, nothing will be out in the weather.

Tent cot loaded on the bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set up at the campsite.
    [​IMG]
  13. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    I've had the Nemo Morpho 2P for three years now and it's not much faster to set up than a typical 2-pole tent and fly. It needs to be well staked before inflating and can't be moved once set up. It also lacks a useable vestibule. It is however a quality tent with some great features. No need for a tire pump since the included foot pump works fairly well. I carry spare bladders for the airbeams and needed one of them on one trip.
  14. WindBlast

Oddometer:
    That was a deal! List is $500. Definitely worth the money IMHO. I got mine 50% off, footprint too and free shipping so not too bad for me either.