I'm starting to get the anti-HD vibe

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DynaSport, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip to NC where I rode the BRP, the Cherohala, the Tail of the Dragon, and tons of other great roads. I ride a Buell Ulysses and I went with a group of guys on cruisers, mostly of the HD persuasion. First off, I had a great time. The weather was great and the scenery was beautiful. For the most part, the riding was great too. However, I did have a couple of pretty frustrating experiences.

Let me say, that I don't consider myself a fast rider. I am sure there are many on here who would leave me in the dust. Still, I do enjoy a spirited pace. I have done most of my riding alone or with buddies on HDs, but I also have friends who ride a variety of other bikes like a Triumph Speed Triple, a BMW K1200S, an SV650, and other various bikes. Anyway, the group I rode to NC with has a variety of riders in it who enjoy vastly different riding styles and I usually end up in the front with one or two other guys mostly keeping up.

What frustrated me, though, was that on the BRP I got behind a couple of Goldwings enjoying the scenery at a very sedate pace, but they refused to pull over and let me by. I ended up behind them for miles, till they finally got where they were going. Every other bike I came up on (and cars too) pulled over and let me by, but the Goldwingers just simply refused, even when I turned my blinker on hoping they'd get the hint. I had the same thing happen to me on two runs on the Dragon the next day, except then it was couple on HD ElectraGlides. It would have been so easy for them to just pull into one of the many pull-offs that are even marked for that purpose. But no, they putted along barely fast enough to keep the bikes upright. I would have passed them, but there was a line of about six bikes and I didn't think I could do it safely.

So, anyway, now I get what everyone gripes about. I must say, my HD riding buddies are for the most part fast enough not to clog up traffic and courteous enough to pull over if they do.

Wake up America.

Pitts off.
  2. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has nothing to do with Harley Davidsons and everything to do with the riders. As you said, it happened to you with a couple of Goldwings. So, should we now rant on Honda ?
  3. sargev55

sargev55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that leaves 3 options;

1. pass them all when possible.
    2. pass them all in a frog leap manner over a matter of time.
    3. just pull over and wait several minutes, then restart the ride.

btw,

i do feel your pain, and nothing is more annoying than some slow pokes screwing up a good ride.
  4. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I experienced the same thing every time I've been to the Dragon on a busy day. It wasn't just HD riders though... lots of cars do the same thing. You can ride their ass for the entire 11 miles and they won't use one of the pull offs. Its like they don't even know (or care) that you're there. I think it got better once they paved the pull-offs, but I've still had lots of issues with slow pokes. I avoid the place now during the busy times, plus I've learned where I can pull off, wait a few minutes, then go and get a clear 11 mile pass... if I'm lucky... its amazing how fast you catch up to people even if you are only going 10-15 mph faster. Very frustrating.
  5. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    I totally agree that it is the riders, not the bikes. I've owned a HD for the past nine years, so I certainly don't hate HD. In fact, when I'd read all the posts about slow HD riders, I wondered what they were talking about. But the last couple of years I have experienced it more often, and while the riders are not always on HDs, it does seem to often be the case. That is probably because most of the bikes I see on the roads are HD.

I really don't care how slow you ride. I just wish you'd make way when someone overtakes you. Especially on roads that have very few safe places to pass. At one point, the guys on the Dragon must have had over 20 bikes and several cars strung out behind them. One of the passengers even turned around and took a photo of it.

As far as pulling over to let the slow bikes get further ahead, I have tried that in years past and it hardly ever works long. For one thing, while you are waiting for the slow riders to get further ahead, more slow riders go past. Then, as someone else said, it is amazing how fast you catch back up to them anyway. Maybe I'm faster than I realized after all.
  6. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had two guys on GS's do worst one is already in the flow of traffic (left lane) and his buddy is turning into the flow from a parking lot he then zooms by me (Iwas in the right lane) and both proceed to slow down and do a rolling road block in front of me one in each lane, this JO went out of his way to form a a rolling road block, so up the middle I went between them. They didn't care for that, but I really didn't give a damn what they thought of it and maybe they wont try that crap again around here. Anyway it happens with all types, I just got back from a trip and had local pulling up fast on me and I pulled over as fast as I could to let him by and he gave me a friendly toot and wave. I admit though the HD people tend to ride slower than I like, but I ride alone for the most part anyway, with that said what those idiots did on the GS's was worse than any slow HD guy's I've come across.
  7. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    How did you come to the conclusion that this was due to you being on a Harley-Davidson and not just them being assholes or otherwise unconcerned about you? You're not the first person to be stuck being a bunch of guys in their own parade. Also, not everyone is going to let you by just because you're riding at a faster pace, and if they are going the speed limit, they quite frankly have no obligation to do so beyond courtesy.

:rolleyes
  8. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fucking rude ass Buell riders ignoring the speed limits and riding recklessly, almost as bad as those old overweight goldwing riders. :rofl
  9. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Follow them to the first roundabout, then cut straight across and leave them in the dust. Easy peasy.
  10. Big Lee

Big Lee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`m of the opinion that if you`re just there to enjoy riding the road not trying to get somewhere quick hang back as much as you can then away and enjoy the road until you catch them up. Bad riding can be done on any machine and it`s a bad attitude to stop people enjoying themselves when you can let them past safely

and no....I`m NOT a fan of Harleys!!! I have rode one once, never again :rofl
  11. Kamikuza

Kamikuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We get the same thing here, with the "riders clubs" who like to go "touring" together. They stagger themselves into a long line and ride at the pace of the slowest rider or bike. So they can be like, a dozen bikes strung out over a hundred yards long and moving at 1/2 the speed limit :-/

They tend to get really REALLY annoyed when I play Frogger with their dumb asses and slot into the gaps.

All kinds of bikes in the rider clubs... but I gotta agree, it's the Harley riders who think that cos they spent 10x as much on their chrome plated turds as you did on your bike, they bought the rights to hog the road.
  12. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    I pass at the first safe opportunity, especially if I'm solo or with one friend. Drop the hammer and dispose of them with a quickness. I think most drivers (and many riders) are clueless to the thought that it's common courtesy to let faster traffic pass. If slower drivers/riders regularly moved over for faster traffic, then there would be a lot less aggro passing going on.

If I happen to be on one of the "destination" sections of good road on that day's ride and I can't pass immediately, I tend to pull over for a minute or two and let a gap build up so that I can enjoy the good bit at my pace. There are few really good sections of road around here that are more than 10 miles long. IMO, that works much better than following along being frustrated. Some days you're just F'd with traffic no matter what you do.
  13. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not just bikes.... Cars in the left lane... CLUELESS! Get over to the right ASSHAT!

I do like it when I'm in Texas, OK, ect.... Rolling along on a country 2 lane road and you come up on a slower moving vehicle and they actually maintain their speed, But pull over to the shoulder and allow you to pass. Or when they are making a left hand turn they signal "left" then merge into the oncoming lane to make their left turn into a driveway or whatever allowing you to go past them without slowing down.

There are some courteous drivers out there.
  14. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    DynaSport, well written observations and some excellent replies:D

It is about discourteous riders/drivers as the same thing discussed here about certain motorcyclists applies to the leaf watchers in a motorhome or bicyclists, etc., etc. Lead, follow or get the phuck out of the way :deal

For the folks that always look for an extreme example to justify "rolling road blocks" or are smug in the fact "they are not speeding", unless it is an actual Parade or Funeral Procession, etc., most states have traffic rules that in some verbiage or another addresses speed less than reasonable and prudent, obstructing/impeding traffic, preventing safe passing, staying to the right unless passing and required use of pull offs when "X" amount of vehicle stack up behind you, etc. It's possible some have never experienced the conditions the OP fairly and accurately described, but it is not a matter of "him" doing race track speeds while the "slow pokes" share the road at the speed limit, they are situations where for miles their poor riding skills and/or attitude most often displayed at well below posted limits while operating their vehicle on a shared public way, are continually presented and are unsafe in their own way to other traffic.

All that aside, how hard can it be to just let other traffic by and then continue to do your own ride.

Safe travels...
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Holy hell man, how much do you think HD's cost? :rofl
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    For those who did not get my "Wake up America" statement, Google Earl Pitts. It was meant to be humorous. Perhaps my humor is a bit obscure.
  18. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    You shut up. And did my little brother give you permission to use his picture?
  19. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is nothing but your sense of entitlement.
    I see this all the time with out of towners who ride the BRP. "But this is the Parkway. I came to enjoy it. Everyone has to clear out of my way." No. No we don't.
    The wings were probably doing the limit. Those are all public roads. No one is obliged to get out of your way and let you proceed at whatever pace you like.

If you want to ride fast, go do a track day. On public roads this is what you have to contend with and sometimes be subject to, so maybe adjust your worldview a bit.

No one owes you a clear line or a pulloff on a public road.
  20. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer: