Auxilary lighting for the 950/990

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by dustjunkie, Sep 23, 2009.

1. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    Dan,

I have read this also, and if the fog is not right on the ground, I agree this would help. On the other hand, you want to aim the light down a bit so that the reflection of the light is not into your eyes. If the lights are to low, and then you aim them down any, you will only light up right in front of your bumper...

Just thoughts...

Jake
  2. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Bikyto, I think I have the optics, and some warmer LEDs, I will give it a try when I have a little extra time... Probably a couple of weeks out...

Jake
  3. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    ok sounds good!
    Thanks Jake.
  4. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 640 Adventure with high fender. I asked about mounting your bracket on the top side of the lower triple clamp back on page 11. I had a bracket from my previous KLR650 that mounted between the fender and lower side of the lower triple clamp. I modified it to mount on top of the lower triple clamp removing material to make room for the steer tube. It came out like your diagram above but is only 1/8" thick. I mounted it on the top side of the lower triple clamp bolted it using the two threaded holes on the top forward edge of the triple clamp. There is nothing securing the back side of the bracket. I mounted some small PIAA 35W Xtreme driving lights. After 15 miles of trail riding and 60 miles on the road it works fine.
  5. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Ed,

I have considered mounting this to the top of the lower triple clamp, and I think the mount would bolt up just fine, but I worry about it it being held with just two bolts... I question whether that is enough strength... Maybe I should try it om my 530...

Any body want to bolt one up, and pound the crap out of it?

Jake
  6. SCsurfer

SCsurfer surfing explorer

Oddometer:
    I'll put it on my 640 and give it a try.
    Paul
  7. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Hi Jake,
    Any update on the LED lights?
    Thank you!
  8. Micha_GER

Micha_GER Pointix

Oddometer:
    Hi Jake,

any updates on a high fender version for the 990?

Cheers!

Micha
  9. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Hey all! I am very sorry for the long delay in updates. I am waiting on a solid delivery date of a few components from Germany, and unfortunately, the Germans are not functioning on my time schedule.... I was supposed to have delivery details of a particular component earlier this week, and so far nothing...

On the up side, I have my machine shop put together, and have started making the housings, and various machined parts, so when I do get the balance of the "guts" everything will be ready to go.

Also, the website is now live, and I have received a couple of orders through it so far.

feel free to check it out at

www.vagabondoffroad.com

Make any comments you like, and please, submit pictures for the home page! The guy that designed it, is active here, so feel free to harass him accordingly....

Here is hoping for a solid time line soon!

Jake
  10. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Sorry Micha, the light details and getting my new machine shop put together has been consuming my time lately... Hopefully I will have time to dedicate to the high fender mount soon.

Thank you!

Jake
  11. UK Rigpig

UK Rigpig n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, System looks like a real winner. Can you give me the cost of the full system and shipping to the uk. Thanks
  12. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Hi Jake,
    Looks like a pretty neat system. A couple questions for ya: is the on/off switch waterproof? what is the exact wattage draw? How do you select the various beam pattern (and possible suggestions for different applications)?

Thanks!!
  13. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    bikyto,

The switch has a neoprene seal inside, and then is finished off with a rubber boot over the toggle, so from the outside, it is very water "proof". The thing is, from the back, none of these switches are sealed, so if you get water up inside the dash of your bike, water could potentially make it into your switch from the back.

Wattage is very close to 9 watts per light assembly. Running at 1000 mA, each of the LEDs pulls about 3 watts.

For now, standard will be a spot beam pattern, but if you want something different, let me know and I will get some different lenses. I don't have those options worked into the website yet.

Thanks,

Jake
  14. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    UK Rigpig,

Please check out the website. If you put the system in your cart, and enter your address info, you can get shipping and cost details.

Thank you,

Jake
  15. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jake,

Will the mounts work with the large Aqualine tanks on a 990 ?

If you aren't sure and will allow me to return a set if they don't fit I will order for a test fitting?

Bill
  16. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Thanks you Jake. I thought some wide lenses for use as fog lights could be a good option. Or maybe a second set attached the the crash bars dedicated to the fog light function would be better. What do you think?

thanks!
  17. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Bill,

I have not tested this, but if you want to check it out, I will take them back if they do not fit. Shipping will have to be on you...

Thanks,

Jake
  18. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for Fog lights, I would recommend elliptical as opposed to wide. I would run the fogs down low, weather that be from the triple clamp or the crash bars... If you get two sets, and want to mount the second set to your crash bars, lets talk. I have an idea for a crash bar mount, and If you like, I will use you as a test dummy....

Thanks,

Jake
  19. bikyto

Oddometer:
    pm sent thanks
  20. bikyto

Oddometer:
    any update? thank you:D