High speed vibrations with Dyna Beads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tututis, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tututis

tututis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I've mount a Conti Trail Attack in my 12GS and I've balanced them with Dyna Beads. I put 2 Oz in the rear tyre and 2 Oz in the front tyre becuse a I read this on the web http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart
    From 0 - 130Km/h I don't have problems but from 130Km/h to :D I have high speed vibrations like a palpitating movement.
    Why ? Anyone knows the answer ?
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe your tire needs more than 2 oz of weight to bring it into balance. It wouldn't be the first time.
  3. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Good answer, and it doesn't hurt to have more beads than whatever's called for, too.
  4. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Woody recently commented in another thread that dyna beeds will do nothing for a wheel (cast or spoked) that is not true and round. I use dyna beeds and love them.

I might be wrong, just ask my X...
  5. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Consumer News (FEB 2010 page 5) had another follow up to their prior testing that beads do nothing to improve balance, and again restated you should save your money and use a spin balance with weights.
  6. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
    What was that again?

Motorcycle Consumer News, you say?

Could you quote the summation for us?

(I'm still waiting for a professional , impartial, POSITIVE review of Dynabeads in motorcycle tires.)
  7. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    MCN FEB 2010 page 5

Letter in MCN asking about bead balance. TITLE: "TIRE BEAD 411"

Answer given below is a recap of the response published:

Their first test was done in Oct 2006 they used spin balance and were unable to correct an imbalance rear wheel from a HONDA 599 repeated 5 times on a spin balancer by adding beads. Next they mounted the wheel on a bike for over the road test the rear wheel produced an imbalance they added beads and that gave a barely perceptible improveemnt and made the steering feel heavy. We tried them is a car were disapointed. "Bottom line save your money for a proper spin balance"
    last line in the response is in yellow quote, draw your own concluesions
  8. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Fixed.
    texas_aggie likes this.
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting that anecdotally there are more people who say they don't bother balancing their tires and notice "no problems" than say the Dyna beads work as advertised. Maybe one could read something into that about how well Dyna beads actually work...
  10. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been running them in my Bandit 1250 for thousands of miles in several sets of tires. The dealership measures how much weight the new tire/wheel needs, and puts a little more than the measured weight needed.

I ride fast, I ride goat trails, I ride at speeds over an indicated 135 mph, I throw the bike around in twisty canyon roads..... I RIDE.

As I understand it, DynaBeads are not good for rapid acceleration/deceleration and quick transitions from left handers to right. In other words, they're not a good idea on the track.

I've eliminated an out-of-balance vibration on a new tire installation by opt'ing for DynaBeads when the snot-nosed kid forgot to balance my wheel. They work on my bike..... your personal experience and particular bike may or may not like 'em; as best I can tell, big Cruisers do well with 'em.

I really like being able to wipe my wheels down with WD-40 and not being burdened with wheel weights taped to my wheels.

In short, I like 'em.
  11. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't care what MCN wrote, I use them in tube and tubeless tires and the suckers work. Naysayers go play in the street, make it a busy street. Sheesz.
  12. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

WRONG. I used them on my 1150 and thought that adding more was going to make that pulsing sensation go away. I actually ended up only putting ONE ounce in the front tire, after which all was fine..:nod
    Less is actually more in this case.
  13. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:

Showkey,

So I understand that MCN (journalists, not scientists or engineers) has passed their opinion on to you.

There are too many posts and threads on this forum for me to find and quote... but,..

Tire spin balance machines cannot/do not work if you place dyna beads in the tire. You will just have to trust me on this (if you can/will). I won't go into the explanation, If you look, you will find the answer. The Innovative Balancing website explains why they don't work in a spin balance machine.

The principle behind dyna beads is 'dynamic balancing' (I think).

Every front load washing machine sold uses this principle to balance a large load of WET clothes that are sitting in the bottom of the horizontal tub once it starts spinning. Mine is an older model and it only spins at 750 RPM's, but the newer models (I am told) spin at up to 1200 RPM's. Think about how heavy that load of WET clothes in the bottom of the tub (laying on it's side) is to spin that fast without the washer walking across the floor and destroying your laundry room...

Also, as pointed out by Woody in another thread, No amount of beads, or weights, will 'balance' a mounted wheel (with tire) if said tire is out of round, or untrue...

We are all in the quest for knowledge. Sometimes, when in the quest for knowledge, one latches on to some idea, or some 'fact', from their source, cementing it into his knowledge base as true, and has a hard time seeing or believing anything he reads at a later date, because he already (thinks he) knows the truth.

Lots of people have a 'horse in this race'(topic), I don't..

I am not affiliated with Innovative Balancing in any way, I don't sell the beads, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

as usual,

I might be wrong, just ask my X...
  14. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    Okay, just to muddy things a bit, I'll note that on my 1150GS, I made several tire changes myself. Some of the things that I noticed, in no particular order, were:

1. I try to get the tire mfr's paint spot mounted opposite the valve stem
    2. On several changes, I removed the professionally mounted lead weights and experienced zero out of balance vibrational or WEAR indicators. :ear
    3. On several other changes, I left those pro mounted weights in place because I read an ADV post by a tire mounting pro, who commented that his experience showed that it was most often the wheels, not the tires, that were out of balance. In this case, I experienced NO out-of-balance vibes or wear.
    4. Moto tires have such a short life span that it seems they could wear out before the out-of-balance wear patterns get worn in.
    5. On a recent, fully loaded road trip, I experienced out-of-balance vibrations for the 1st time, and this was on a tire that has been fine for over 10K miles (yes it's time is nearly up). I'm chalking this up to increased rear-end loading that effectively lightened the front-end.
    I've not tried the Dyna Beads ... yet.
  15. kurtaxline

kurtaxline n00b

Oddometer:
    These guys are a total scam..!! The owner doesn't even know how to explain the physics of the product. Don't believe their nice little animation on their web... it's total BS..!! IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS PRODUCT DID NOT WORK FOR ME..!!! But, I found out the hard way. They're REAL easy to put in... but taking them out is a very expensive endeavor. You've got to break down your wheels if you don't like the product to get them out. I used them in my 2009 Harley Street Glide and got a real bad vibration around 60MPH and up. After the many phone calls to Innovative Balancing's "tech support" (which is a complete joke because they don't have any tech support) they couldn't explain it at all... all they could say was that it had to be something loose or wrong with the bike. So, I spent several hundreds of dollars between having my tires aligned with the rim (the dot and the valve stem), having my Fall Away checked-out, having my rims checked for defects, having every nut and bolt checked-out and ultimately having the wheels broken down to remove the POS DynaBead BS product. Went back to weights and immediately lost the vibration. Will NEVER use a scam product like this again and will NEVER deal with these Innovative Balancing yahoos again. DON'T DO IT..!! I only wish someone would have warned me beforehand. When I finally called to ask for my money back, all Carol (the owner) and her minions would say was "we'll gladly refund any unused product". When I asked how I could get my money back since I had obviously used it, they again just said (like a broken record) "we'll gladly refund any unused product". This meant of course that I was not getting any money back. I've never received any money back from them for my "used" product. In summary, their little white ceramic beads that go so easily in the valve stem, cost me roughly $500 to fix and ultimately remove. Don't be a sucker... they're counting on it..!!
  16. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    The concept of automatic dynamic balancing is real, provable physics and is applied in other industrial and commercial applications (fans at nuclear power plants between service intervals and consumer washing machines are a couple of examples)

I can't speak for Dynabeads but I've been using Ride-On TPS (a liquid that applies the same concept) for the past few years in several bikes with good results. The amount of it that I use varies from 6-9 fl. oz. (which is about 6-9 oz. by weight) depending upon tire size so 2 oz. of Dynabeads seems light to me.

How many miles on your tires? It could be tire wear causing the vibrations.
  17. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Huh, somebody here has no profile, or posting history. :hmmmmm

I have one, nothing to hide here, kinda gives me some credibility. :deal

Anybody here smell something?
  18. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

The MCN article is pretty old now, I thought we were past that.
    MCN made a mistake in their testing.
  19. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
  20. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice 1st post.

hit the RETURN key once in a while.