mexican 1000

Discussion in 'Racing' started by decafe, Dec 20, 2011.

1. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am trying to plan for the mexican 1000 may 5-8 2012 . biggest problem is getting bike from New Jersey to san diego and then from cabo back home . i could rent bike there but would rather ride my bike . anybody got any ideas or happens to be headed that way. times dont have to be exact . my other option is to buy a race ready bike out west ride it then sell it . i am trying to get this done before next kid goes to college thanks andrew
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent PM
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    You could check Tim Mortons Baja Bound Adventures..

On another note I have been in touch with Norra and they have now bumped the race as Best in the Desert has picked up the Mint 400 making them move the Silverstate 300 on the same week..

I have been bothering them about this and I just got an email from Norra:

We have moved our date up 1 week to April 28-May 2 and will have a press
    release on this tomorrow.

Regards,
    Chris

So ... since they now are taking all bikes and not just vintage pre 89 and it IS a three day rally .. I am IN !! Two great races in two weeks time in one weeks time in the spring and 4 solid days of racing for this kid...
  4. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

Not just vintage anymore? Interesting...
  5. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    We have a group going from Texas. 2 to 4 riders depending on who commits

I'll be driving one of the chase trucks with a few support crew members. (knee surgery has me taking 2012 racing season off)

It be nice to have all ADV'er group together to help support each other to the finish.

the change away from vintage bikes Kinda pisses me off. as our guys have gone out and purchased 1985 + xr 600s only to learn that they might have to compete in the same class as current year model bikes.. Since we all have newer bikes.. it would have save us about $2500 a piece to have know this earlier.

anyhow.. we move forward to having a great time.
  6. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Not true Ken.. there are many different classes this year your friends can still compete on the vintiage iron against others.. hell if I could lI would run a TM 400.. full on leathers .. lumber jack boots period correct you know!

[​IMG]

(my dad and I with his 250 and 74 ranchero)
  7. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    "..starting on April 28th now" :eek1 Sure makes it hard to plan for this type of thing. We were also signed up by October last year...they say registration doesn't open until New Year's Eve :deal

We'll be there on our 72 SL350 again...Team racing it this time. What bike you thinking about running decafe?? Modern or vintage? :ear

Will be nice to see some more entries thanks to the modern bike classes. Now everyone can enjoy the 3 day rally format in Baja, not just vintage folks.

Would be cool to see some more ADV'ers there as well!

8. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am still on fence on ride i have a 91 ktm 250 , 1987 can am 406 and a cagiva elephant 1987 . due to the new new rules they are all 85 to new . i do have an 1982 yamaha it 175 that is actually in the vintage class and below 250 cc . I ride more on the bigger bikes and have never rode the 2 strokes for longer than 2 or 3 hours . I could also use my 2003 bmw f650 dakar and still be in the same class as elephant with a very reliable bike . I am leaning to the elephant
  9. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    I think the cut off is 1989 for vintage
  10. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    MOTORCYCLE CATEGORIES
    MA 1985+, open
    MB 1985+, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
    MC 1985+, 125cc 2-s/150cc 4-s
    MD 1976-1984, open
    ME 1976-1984, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
    MF 1975 and older, open
    MG 1975 and older, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
  11. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    That's what we thought and bought accordingly

but they changed to the previous post's years

would have been nice if they went by decades for the bikes with 90 and newer being the cut off.

that the whole point.. we already had our XR650Rs that we ride all the time.. went out and bought 85 to 89 xr 600s for the vintage class.

Now we'll just ride the XR650s
  12. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    Here we go!

http://norra.com/release_2011_12_20.php

NORRA Announces Official Dates for 2012 Mexican 1000 Rally!
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

<TABLE class="top_table std_spacing"><TBODY><TR><TD>EMAIL:</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]
    The Snortin' Nortin' Nova
    Photo by Trackside Photo
    December 20 2011: After months of careful planning and cooperative efforts with Mexican officials and several potential corporate partners, the National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) today announced the official dates for the 2012 Mexican 1000 Rally as April 28 – May 2, 2012. The new time slot not only reflects a change in the event’s overall formatting, but were necessitated by NORRA’s desire to avoid a conflict with another off-road race promoter over the Rally’s original May 5 - May 9, 2012 date.
    Dubbed the “Happiest Race on Earth,” the unique off-road rally was created by promoter Mike Pearlman in 2010. The one-of-a-kind, once-a-year, four day rally includes vintage off-road vehicles and motorcycles, rally cars, a limited number of modern desert racecars and classes for prerunner trucks and buggies. Pearlman’s late father Ed and others established the first running of the NORRA Mexican 1000 off-road rally in November of 1967, which eventually became internationally recognized and evolved into the Baja 1000 in the mid-1970s.
    Unlike the first two Mexican 1000s, the rally will be held starting on a weekend instead of mid-week to allow more spectator interaction and to provide participants the chance to enjoy the rally within one full calendar week. The 2012 proceedings will begin with a technical inspection/car show at the historic bull ring in downtown Mexicali on Saturday, April 28. The first stage of the rally itself will depart Mexicali on Sunday, April 29 and is planned to end in San Jose del Cabo on May 2, 2012.
    Event Registration to Open New Year’s Day!
    With the dates now solidified, NORRA will open online registration to all participants for the 2012 Mexican 1000 on Sunday, January 1. In addition, an updated Mexican 1000 Website will be unveiled on New Year’s day as well.
    “We are very pleased to have the 2012 dates finally secured and our event soon open for registration,” explained Pearlman. “Unfortunately, our original dates needed modification to help accommodate Casey Folks and his Best-In-The-Desert (BITD) organization’s new sanctioning of next year’s General Tire Mint 400. While our two events are very different, we not only have competitors that wish to compete in both, but we want to continue our positive relationship with Best In The Desert.”
    [​IMG]
    Baja champion
    Larry Roeseler
    Photo by Boyd Jaynes
    Registration will be open to all automobiles and motorcycles that meet basic safety standards as outlined the new NORRA rulebook (currently available at the www.mexican1000.website). Although the spotlight will remain squarely on vintage machinery, NORRA has added several new categories for modern and vintage rally cars as well as some for modern desert racing machinery, 4x4s, dune buggies, and ATVs and motorcycles of all types and ages. Each day of the rally consists of special stages (unlimited speed timed stages in the dirt) linked together by controlled speed liaison / transit sections (highway).
    While still a competitively timed event, all entries will enjoy the same course, beautiful Baja scenery and group festivities. In addition, the NORRA organization is working to greatly enhance one of the Mexican 1000’s most distinguishing elements – the rally’s camaraderie, hospitality and fun.
    Despite official entries not being officially open until January 1, it is expected that many of the rally’s most distinguished racers – a list that included Bob Gordon, Walker Evans, Parnelli Jones, Malcolm Smith, Bud Feldkamp, Frank “Butch” Arciero, Larry Roeseler, Michael Gaughan and others will return for the 2012 rally.
  13. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I had not heard about the non-vintage class until today. Very cool. I just sent off an email to Baja Bound to see if they have any plans to do a rental / support package for the race. Right now that is the only way I could do the logistics.

Hopefully if there is enough interest to make it worth their while they might do this. Anybody else interested in doing the race on rented Baja Bound bikes?

I suspect I won't hear back regarding my email for a while since Tim Morton is going to Dakar with the RPA team but hopefully someone is manning the office and responsing to email.
  14. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. I hope Baja Bound decide to support it. This is a very fun race, and I think the rally format is going to attract a lot of people who have dreamt of racing in Baja, but did not want to get run over by a trophy truck :D The
  15. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with dakar going i am more excited about this rode my bike yesterday and then called to confirm transportation for bike happy new years everyone
  16. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 day till registration I am very excited happy new years guys
  17. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Dakar has me thinking about this more and more. My only concern is the logistics. Does the organization carry any equipment for you? Also, anybody know if there is an easy way to get myself and the bike back to Mexicali? (other than the obvious way of just riding back that is!).

Just wondering if it is even possible to do this by myself where I unload bike+gear in Mexicali and leave the van there.

Anybody here have a support truck that has room to handle 1 more bike (most importantly on the return back north) and wants to split expenses a bit more?
  18. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill pm you with more info but there is a group comming down from ct who might have more room . i plan on flying to tuscon and then fly home from cabo we still have to figure out cost but as with everything the more people involed brings down the cost
  19. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    We are heading to Cabo !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2012 Mexican 1000 Registration Information
    Early Registration and Membership Fees
    $1967 – Vintage, Rally Car and Evolution categories (per vehicle)
    $1600 – Motorcycle and ATV categories (per vehicle)
    $75 – Membership fee (per person)
    $100 – Late Registration fee for entries not paid in full by April 15, 2012
    The registration fee includes any NORRA mandated GPS data logging equipment as well as any NORRA mandated technical inspections.
    Starting positions for this event will be based upon registration date/time, by category.
    There is no limit to the number of co-drivers or co-riders on a team, however the membership fee must be paid for each person. Membership packages (including cool NORRA swag) will be mailed out to each paid member prior to the event. NORRA memberships expire December 31, all returning 2011 competitors must renew the registration.
    Payment Terms
    A $750 deposit is required to open your entry and lock in your starting position. In the event the payment is rejected, the entry will be voided and the starting position forfeited.
    The balance of the payment is due on March 1, 2012. Failure to pay the full balance on time, will result in forfeiture of your starting position however the entry remains in effect. In this case, your starting position will be re-assigned when the balance is paid in full.
    Hotel rooms in Bahia de Los Angeles
    Due to limited availability, NORRA has booked all rooms in Bahia de Los Angeles for this event. One room per entry will be made available for the team to pay for once the registration is paid in full. We do not expect to have unused rooms, however in the unlikely event that we do, they will be made available on April 15, 2012. NORRA will have a large area by the beach, in town, for tent camping and RV parking. We will provide two open hotel rooms for this area that are to be used as bathrooms and showers for campers. Teams are encouraged to bring tents, RV’s and positive attitudes to make the most of the situation. NORRA will provide hospitality and make every effort to make this a pleasant and memorable experience.
    Team Numbers
    Team numbers do not indicate starting position, however we will grant requests for specific numbers at the time registration is paid, on a first come, first assigned basis.
    Advance Wristbands
    For competitors who will not be in Mexicali on April 28, arrangements may be made to FedEx notarized liability release forms to the race office along with a prepaid Fed Ex shipper so that your wristband can be sent to you prior to the event.
    Event Calendar
    Jan 1, 2012 – Registration opens for all competitors
    Mar 1, 2012 – Full payment due from those who paid a deposit
    April 15, 2012 – Early registration closes and any remaining rooms in LA Bay are released to teams. Entries not paid in full by this date will be subjected to a $100 late registration fee.
    April 28, 2012 – Sign in, technical and safety inspection, vintage category impound (car show) and autograph session in the bull ring in Mexicali. Vintage cars will be released from impound in the late afternoon (Vintage impound is a mandatory media event for entries in the Vintage categories). All competitors must sign the release of liability in order to receive the wristband. Wristbands must be shown at the start of each Special Stage throughout the event.
    April 29, 2012 – Mexicali to Bahia de Los Angeles
    April 30, 2012 – Bahia de Los Angeles to Loreto
    May 1, 2012 – Loreto to La Paz
    May 2, 2012, La Paz to San Jose del Cabo. Awards ceremony will follow that afternoon/evening at the Cabo Azul Resort in San Jose del Cabo.
    Information Required to Register
    In order to register your entry, you will need to have your personal and emergency information as well as vehicle details and credit card information, including billing address. For each co-driver and rider you will need to have name, email address and phone.

always wanted to ride a dirtbike to the office..

[​IMG]
  20. oregoncoast

Oddometer:
    Well, I pre-registered last night!! The organization of this year's rally is not as good as last year, to say the least.

It is awesome to see the interest in this rally grow...unfortunately, so did the price :eek1 By about $400 bucks! Still, for 4-5 day event, not that bad.

This is going to be a fun event!!