YOUR Italian Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ASCSurveyor -- great shots, and beautiful Duc! I love the Sport 1000 -- one of the best look bikes out there, IMHO!
    :D
  2. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Thanks jas. It's a lot of fun to ride. Suspension needs work... certainly not a powerhouse engine-wise either. But it's just fun.

Here's a ride out at Deal's Gap from last year. Helmet mounted cam gives a good feel for the rider's experience. This is Rt. 28 from CROT (Crossroads Of Time) to Fontana Village.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkvBNd7K5I
  3. fasterlaster

fasterlaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video. I especially enjoyed the 'scene missing' section at certain strategic points.
  4. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    I figured it was better that way... officer. :D

I'll be there again in only 2 weeks. Can't wait. Although I seem to have a bunch of things to take care of before I go. :huh
  5. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've talked to several dealers about the Ducati sport classic models, and they all tell me that the used prices are going crazy on these bikes. A few years ago they were struggling to sell the last of the new ones and were giving some pretty big discounts, and now used ones are selling for more than the last of the new ones did. One of them is buying ever one one he can find, loading them up with all the carbon and billet accessories, and selling them in the $15k range, and they're selling quickly at that.

I think part of it must be the class-action settlement on the fuel tanks, as these models were the most notorious of the bikes that had the problem. Now you can buy a used one and be confident that Ducati will just keep replacing tanks if you have an issue, regardless of warranty.
  6. RydRy

RydRy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 9 day trip- I tried to get tot he ducati factory in Bologna but they are booked months in advance- they let 10 people go on a tour 3 times a day- saw the gates:) one thing I noticed is not one ducati in Bologna- assuming they cost too much- in Rome I did see many Ducatis as well as a ton of bonnevilles which I thought interesting- many more than Guzzis or Aprilia especially- I was happy as I have a 696 as well as a bonneville- was good to see in that environemnet- and boy do the scooters rule the roads- great to see, and traffic looks out for them sooo much better than here in the States- but still I am not skilled enough to ride that insanity :)
  7. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    I've had several offers on my bike, even from my boss at the shop. But my answer is always the same; I know I'll regret it, in time.

As one of my friends put it, "It's the kind of bike your grandkids find in a barn some afternoon, and ask 'Geez grandpa, you used to ride that thing?' And you can just look at them and grin."
  8. lobsta

lobsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tank you.

The useable powerband is addictive.
  9. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey guys, or should i say bongiorno!

i have 3 italien bikes in my shed. well, 1 is real italian, 2 are kind of italian.

2 husqvarna enduro bikes.
    [​IMG]

and my "new" toy in shed, brought her home today: Ducati 916 Biposto, 1995. a dream coming true.
    [​IMG]
    its in good condition overall, some minor work to do (brake fluid, steering head bearings, just minor cosmetic things). overall i´m very pleased with the bike, especially with the price. but you can´t but a price on a dream anyway.
  10. Turder

Turder Throttle engineer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Best handling sportbike you can buy:gerg
  11. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 98 916. I don't know of a more beautiful bike. Congrats.

Steve
    05 st3
    Y2k sv650

12. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what they say. I only wish we had a good dealer network in my parts.

Steve
    05 st3
    00 sv 650

13. Jonniedee

Jonniedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not so - they will shim your loose tank if it doesn't affect steering - and believe me they can be ugly as hell with warps and bubbles but no replacement unless they come loose - that's why I sold my GT - on it's 2nd tank and starting to go to shit without a dealer authorized replacement cause it didn't interfere with steering. :huh
  14. Manuel1200

Manuel1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SUPERB!!!!!!!:clap
  15. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Non-Cosmetic Problems
    • For motorcycles exhibiting fuel leakage at the fuel pump flange seal, and presented for repair during the Extended Fuel Tank Warranty Period, Ducati will replace a factory-equipment O-ring with an X-ring to prevent fuel leaks at the fuel pump/tank interface.
    • For motorcycles exhibiting fuel tank pressure against the ignition unit, impeded access to the tank latch, difficulty raising or lowering the fuel tank, or misalignment of the rubber tank supports and presented for repair during the Extended Fuel Tank Warranty Period, Ducati will install a new fuel tank fitting kit. Ducati designed this fitting kit to reposition the fuel tank further back on the motorcycle frame so that any expansion of the fuel tank does not crowd the ignition unit, impede access to the tank latch, or affect the ability to raise or lower the fuel tank, and so that the side rubber supports will continue to fit the frame. If a repositioned fuel tank prevents closing or locking of the seat, Ducati will install a slightly shorter seat designed to eliminate the problem without affecting rider comfort.
    • For motorcycles exhibiting contact between the fuel tank and the handlebars at a full turn and presented for repair during the Extended Fuel Tank Warranty Period, Ducati will adjust the steering stops to remove such contact without affecting in any material way the turning performance of the motorcycle.
    Cosmetic Distortions
    • For motorcycles with plastic fuel tanks exhibiting surface blistering, bubbling, rippling, dimpling, flattening, or spreading resulting from fuel tank expansion or an original manufacturing defect, or exhibiting surface scratches resulting from interference otherwise repaired under the Non-Cosmetic Extended Fuel Tank Warranty, Ducati will replace the fuel tank during the Cosmetic Extended Fuel Tank Warranty Period if (i) the surface imperfection is greater than three millimeters in size and easily and clearly visible to a passerby and (ii) there is not some other greater damage to the fuel tank not caused by fuel tank expansion or an original manufacturing defect, such as damage from an accident, motorcycle fall, other impact or wear and tear. Surface imperfections caused by wear and tear are not covered by the Cosmetic Extended Fuel Tank Warranty. The original two-year Ducati Limited Warranty will apply to surface imperfections from fuel tank expansion or original manufacturing defects which are smaller than three millimeters.
  16. Hillskiller

Hillskiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not exactly mine but my uncle's
    Its a morini 3 1/2 sport, custom frame works, custom tank made in fiberglass, custom seat and tail, engine is like new. [​IMG] the bike is not finished yet, decals are missing
    Ciao from italy :)
  17. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    i just drooled a little.
  19. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    It is awfully pretty......
  20. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    I've been promising myself a Ducati for decades then this 999S presented itself and I thought WTF let's do it while the old bones can still get onto the bike. :D

The starter spragg clutch is dicey and needs to be replaced but what a hoot.:clap

This is a picture with my son's RC8 on a recent breakfast run.

[​IMG]