Thinking about a Yamaha Morphous???

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Too Many Toys, May 5, 2006.

1. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the best deal i have ever seen on one of those... nice job!
  2. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea sweet deal!

But the floorboard does look a bit close to the seat, I just hope at your height you don't hit your knees on the bars.

But it looks to be that the front seat is extremely long. Almost like you could get long bars that stretch back to you and you could sit way back. That would be very comfortable for you. Or even adjust the handlebars to come back more.

But nice find!
  3. hacksaw55

hacksaw55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one I sat had a custom seat but except for the cover all they did was take the butt rest off.
    Fit fine bars are easy to adjust once I take ownership will look for risers.From what I see not
    alot of accessories would like to find a mounting bracket for a trunk if I could read Japanese I'd
    be all set ton's of stuff over there.
    PS she just called set for Sat.morning.
  4. Hip001

Hip001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a guy here in Brevard County that has the Cadilac emblem on the back of his, bigger windshield, & speakers playing his mp3's! It's a sweet ride!!
    I've had lots of bikes(currently a 80 Honda CB900c, & 86 Kawasaki Voyager XII) but last year started playing with scooters when I bought a Roketta 150 for $100. It was fun! I buy fix ride and sell for fun. Now on my 7th scooter I stepped up from chinese scoots to a 84 Yamaha Riva 180. I love the speed and quality of the Yamaha. Have my eye out for a Helix but really wanting a Morphous! My GF thinks I'm crazy, but I love the looks! As I've read I'm also concerned about the fit. I'm 6"3 and prefer total wind protection. I'm so over having to wrestle the wind when riding!! :D and 2nd concern is a backrest for the passenger. Is there suck a thing? The GF has to be comfortable or

I'm seeing the Morph listed under $3000 from time to time. Maybe this will be the year I buy a Morph! :clap
  5. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    I paid $1700 for my 06 Morphous with 250 miles on it. My brother paid $1900 for his 08 with 200 miles on it.

Both now sold, fun scooters.. super stable and smooth. Because it is so stable and smooth it is excellent on the highway if you don't mind cruising at a legit 60-65mph. Steady as can be.

*Cons, embarrassing acceleration. I mean really slow. A Honda helix is much quicker off the line although the Morphous has a slightly higher top speed and is world's better on the Highway. Terrible in mountainous areas. Forget about putting an adult on the back. Ergonomics very scrunchy and I'm only 5'9". Storage about half of my Honda Helix.

I'd get one again if I saw a particularly good deal because it was just so smooth and stable.. Like a Cadillac. It was a fun scooter but my helix scooters are better around town, noticeably lighter and easier to maneuver, not that the Morphous was difficult to ride in town.. you just noticed it requires a little more input.

My brother sold his for basically the same reason I did, under powered for such a big scooter and the borderline performance dropped significantly when his tiny 110 lb girlfriend was on the back.
  6. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    That's nonsense my friend.
    You must have a magic Morphous because there are (were)Two Morphouses in my family and I've ridden three all together and 85mph is not possible due to the built in restricter/limiter and the fact that it would be the first 400 plus pound vehicle with a 250cc engine that produces 14 HP in the world that can easily do 85mph. My ninja 250 does not easily do 85mph and it has 40% more HP and is lighter than the Morphous.
    After owning mine for two years and after riding my brothers from Bingimton NY to PA, I can assure you the Morphous will cruise at a true 65 MPH fairly comfortably. Yes, you can get it to go a little faster but when your dash says 78mph, you are really doing 70mph. The only time I got my Morphous to read 80 was coming down a big hill and it hit the limiter before I was going anywhere near 85mph.
  7. mylesaway

mylesaway n00b

Oddometer:
    Old thread I know but it's new to me so I'll comment on my Morphous. It's a 2007, it has 2100 miles on it. It was in mint condition, really almost showroom quality, that I got for 2k. The guy threw in 2 helmets, an armored jacket that the guy paid $250 for, a cover and a Bluetooth system.
    People complain about acceleration and maybe it is compared to others but I easily out accelerate all cars when the light turns green and pull away while they recede in my rear view mirror. I'm a 200 pound guy and I can maintain my speed going up a long hill as long as I increase throttle.
    It can do interstate travel but it is a 250cc scoot and I don't feel comfortable doing more than 65. It's comfortable cruising speed is 55-60. Again it's a 250cc scooter. It's not designed to cruise the interstate at 75mph. If you want a scooter that will cruise the interstate at real world 75 mph with ease, then you need a big, expensive scooter! This scooter will not do that!
    The Morphous is similar to Harleys in one aspect and that is you have to pay a tax. The Harley tax is a stage 1 mod. The Morphous tax is much cheaper to do but you have to do it. It's the windshield. You have to replace it and it's not an option. The windblast from that little screen, that directs the wind blast directly into the middle of your chest, I'm 5'8" tall, is horrendous. It's so bad that I personally feel it is dangerous. I honestly can't believe Yamaha released the scoot with that screen. I want to ask them, did you ride this thing before you released it? It's probably not an issue if you are a 5 foot tall Japanese woman. It's obvious it was designed for looks but you can't sacrifice rider safety for looks, come on Yamaha.
    Now if you are much taller than me, then I think you are going to feel cramped. You are going to have to try it for yourself to see how you feel. The seat can be changed to correct that issue if you feel cramped. As far as other issues, I can't find any.
    The looks, either love it or you don't. Mine is metal flake silver and I think it's beautiful. I honestly do love this scooter. I have people rolling down their windows in their cars all the time asking what I'm riding, how much does it cost and commenting on how beautiful it is. I find the seat to be one of the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced on a bike. The super low seat makes putting your feet on the ground easy for a 5 foot tall person, which makes putting a foot down to correct steering or bobble issues a breeze. It's easy to drive, has plenty of real world usable power for it's designed purpose, looks cool, it's quiet and by all accounts very reliable.
    Overall Yamaha did a fantastic job on this scooter and I think they made a classic. This thing will look cool 20 years from now. If you are realistic with your expectations, you will be rewarded with a reliable, cool looking bike, a bike with only a couple of issues that are easily resolved, good performing and very fun scooter. I absolutely love mine. Hell I have people coming up to me all the time in parking lots asking if they can take photos of it, take selfies with it, asking me what it is and what it costs. If you want to be inconspicuous, if you want to keep to yourself or you are shy, don't get this scooter. It attracts a crowd and from my experience, makes people smile.
  8. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 year thread bump.

I came across this gem and realized where Yamaha probably got their Morphous design inspiration from, a 1938 Phantom Corsair;

upload_2022-12-29_14-31-27.png

MJSfoto1956, MiniBike and rv-rick like this.
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figured the Morphous designer came from their jet ski division.
    Salth2ofish, CaptnJim and MiniBike like this.
  10. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 Morphous and a 1996 Helix. As comfortable as the Helix is, the Morphous puts it to shame. I put a 400 from a Majesty into mine. It was as easy as a swap could be. Even though the 250 Yamaha was quicker and faster than the 250 (244)Helix, I felt it was underpowered. The 400 transformed it into the machine Yamaha should have made. I'm slowly rebuilding the original 250 to put the Morph back to original condition. I was hoping to be done for the upcoming Cannonball, but parts for the 4valve, d.o.h.c. single engine are tough to come by.
    velofish and Salth2ofish like this.
  11. jerryd

jerryd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    most who have ridden both agree the morph is superior to helix. why do you want it back to 250???
  12. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a classic machine and while I enjoyed the 400, I now want the bike back to original. The same reason people restore classic cars-to keep it original and numbers matching.
    Salth2ofish likes this.
  13. jerryd

jerryd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say the only classic scooters are shifty vespas.
    all other scooters are in rapid devalue status. not enough sold for aftermarket to step in and keep them running.
  14. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I would say... No.
  15. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're going to go thru all that work swapping the engines only to realize why you did it in the 1st place. You'll miss the power immediately.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm one on the "un-most" jerryd.

I've owned both and at the same time so I was switching riding the bikes all the time. The Morph was superior at high speed travel(freeways here in SoCal)but that was about the only advantage that bike had on the Helix. The smoothness of the carbed Helix, the narrower seat, the better handling and the better visibility I have on the Helix is why I kept the Helix and sold the Morph.

While riding the Morph it did receive more comments & questions at stops, but as a riding machine it never worked out for me.

[​IMG]
  17. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but in that comparison between a helix and a morph... On the morph, do you have to remove the exhaust to get the rear wheel off? what are other maintenance related items like between the two? @sealsam
    sealsam likes this.
  18. triumphsidehack

triumphsidehack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nowhere Indiana ,on the outskirts of Darmstadt
    Yes most defiantly has to come off :thumb check out Ruby the Elite YouTube video will give you all the info you will need :lurk
    wanna bECO likes this.
  19. Donttellmywife

Donttellmywife Wheelie nice guy

Oddometer:
    My new to me Morph ignition glow ring doesnt work. Could it be age, blown fuze, glow in the dark paint has quit ? What makes it work?
  20. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bulb?