Swapping forks

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ray of Sunshine, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    I hate the ATE caliper on my R75/6. I am not to cooncerned with keeping the ike a non bitsa, I'd ideally like to change over to a brembo set up from a later R100. Has anyone done this? Any tips?
    TIA
    Ed
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
    instead of swapping forks, you might try replacing the master cylinder. The stocker is located under the gas tank where it's currently leaking all over your frame top tube and rusting it out. The cable from the lever to the M/C is spongy, and doesn't help with the feel any. Get a handlebar mounted Magura M/C from any dealer that sells Parts Unlimited and a braided line, and you will be much happier with your brake.
    I did this on a R90S I owned years ago, and it made a world of difference.
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    yup. a mag should run you about 100 plus maybe 50 for the goods to plumb it to the calipers.
  4. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. I forgot about the m/c swap. I am doing some other work on th eold girl this winter and that'll be on my list.
    Ed :thumb
  5. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    If yer gonna swap forks - take 'em off a K100. (yes they use the same bearings you only have to worry about lengths) Much better. You do realise that the old /5 forks had very long travel .. what you will get with the newer fork is mucho reduced travel.
  6. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you swap out the master cylinder you may lose the abs or cbs effect. Well okay not antilock but can't be locked brakes.