Why is the KLR so popular?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by fish, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Has Kawasaki licked the oil burning? Dozens of people came on here with next generation KLRs with out of round jugs, bad rings and lunched heads.
    That alone will keep me off a new one. I would probably pick up that last year made in Japan if I ever come across one though.:ear
  2. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was the '08s, first year of the redesign. '09 and newer haven't had the same problem.
  3. Elkster88

Elkster88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the interest of full disclosure, I have two KLRs, a 2006 and a 1995. Both will use a small amount of oil when ridden at high speeds for extended periods, but not an abnormal amount.

Just keep in mind that the vast majority of folks who don't have any issues won't chime in- you're only going to hear from people who have had a problem. It's a common problem on forums, any problems with a particular bike will get magnified out of proportion. That's not to say some bikes don't have design faults or manufacturing problems, they certainly do. But if I was going to buy a Gen II KLR, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd ride the hell out of it during the warranty period and take my chances. I am pretty sure from what I have read, that 2009 and later KLRs have mostly fixed the oil burning problems that were reported with the 2008 bikes. And even those 08s that do burn some oil are fine, you just need to check the oil like you are supposed to do anyway.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You nailed it,Ive ridden a KLR once and it felt like a wobbly box even compared to a DR650,but the buy in can be cheap.
    A guy can get used to having hardly any brakes,or rubbery handling and spindly forks,cheap stamped steel rear suspension parts like a chinese bike.
    The thumping vibration adds character,the over 400 lb dry weight for a 35hp bike? Obviously not a problem for many folks.
    They are Cheap and there are a ton of them out there.

The $ spending comes once the farkle door is opened,each and every part that can be replaced gets replaced,Im sure some of the sellers of these parts have retired to Hawaii.

But Yes,they are wonderful bikes.:lol3
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Less then 1% for the dreaded 3rd gear blow ups on the DR,and many of those are real questionable as to whether that's what happened.
    Yet many dwell on it to the point of lunacy.

The KLR and it's doohickey/oil burning issues is a little more well represented I think.

Either bike can run a long,long time with only a little luck.
  6. DPelletier

DPelletier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, old thread.

The KLR is popular because it's cheap and it works for what most people want.

I bought the KLR because I believe it is the most reliable and has the best longevity of any dual sport and if it does break it can be fixed easily and with basic tools....even trailside usually.

In many ways it's a crappy bike, but I love it. Up until recently, I had 9 bikes in the garage...it's the only one left.

2 cents,
    Dave
  7. DPelletier

Oddometer:
    A DR650 is also a crappy bike. Sorta like arguing whether you'd rather sleep with Rosie O'Donnel or Sandra Bernhard:lol3!

A KTM is a much better bike (loved my 300XCW) but it simply isn't as reliable, won't last as long and cost twice as much. The DR is an OK bike, but it's also slower than crap (slower than a KLR even) and has a tiny tank with no range, crappy ergos, an uncomfortable seat and no luggage rack. I also prefer the KLR's liquid cooling.

As with all things dual sport, it depends what you want to do. For me a 1st Gen KLR and about $1500 gets me exactly where I want to be.

Dave
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    I started researching DS in January. Will buy a CRF250L this Fall back in VA.

Some quick google searches lead me to the 2008+ KLR.

On top of that, magazines and Youtube has a lot of data.

The magazines and videos would give the KLR bike top honors inspite of being old in the tooth. Hell, I think it was MC USA, talked how they liked the big-ol plastic hand guards over the hand warmers of the Sertao. :D

I had the bike as a front runner, but wanted to drop weight, this lead me to the Mighty DR, which gets about as much media attention as Ron Paul during a Republican Primary here in the States.

the funny thing is, the more I researched the 2011+ G650GS and the 2009+ KLR, the more I disliked them. :eek1
    I literarly reseached my way out of liking them.

The Mighty DR is a great all around package for 366lbs with an easy 150 mile range. Granted, I've never rode both bikes.

However, once I decided to just go high tech and buy a bike for a solo enduro vacation, I went with the CRF250L. This left the DR200se/DRZ400S/and the Mighty DR, back on the show room floor. But, I'm sure they will be fine. :deal
    There's a brand new 650 parked in the parking garage here on base, and I just love that Confederate Grey.
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fuel range, seat comfort, ergonomics, power, power delivery, suspension, and other features of the DR are also pretty inexpensive and simple to modify to your preferences.

I see IMS 4.9 tanks all the time for sale, used, at less than 1/2 the cost of a new tank. IMO, with a DR, you end up with a better bike after just a few farkles. 250-400+ miles of fuel-range is pretty easy to come by with a DR.
  10. DPelletier

Oddometer:
    You are entitled to your opinion. You can either upgrade the KLR suspension, do the "doo" and add some guards or you can replace the tank and end up with the DR that has less carrying capacity, a minimalistic set of gauges, no windscreen an no liquid cooling. I also tend to think that the KLR ultimately has superior longevity.

I've ridden both extensively (as well as almost everything else) and it really is just a matter of what you want and what you plan to do. IMO, the KLR is better if you want to load up, go 2 up occasionally or plan more highway miles. OTOH, if I was going solo 99% of the time, lightly loaded and mostly secondary roads then the DR650 would be a fine choice....though at that point, I'd probably just go straight to the DRZ which is a much "better" bike in many respects.

2 cents,
    Dave
  11. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a comment . . . I've seen COUNTLESS posts from DR boosters on, strangely enough, KLR threads, like this one!

These DR fans try to save their readership from the alleged error of, buying a KLR instead of a DR.

On the other hand, I have NEVER seen a KLRista insinuate himself into a DR thread in an attempt to dissuade anyone expressing a preference for DRs, insisting they buy a KLR instead. (These appeals may exist; just haven't seen any, myself.)

Finally, I wonder: How many potential KLR purchasers have had their hearts and minds changed by the criticism of KLRs and the praise of the DRs by the DR boosters?

The advice ("Buy a DR, not a KLR!") may be well-intentiond. But, do the DR aficionados expect everyone to clone their own preferences and share their requirements? Is such an expectation realistic?

I consider DRs fine machines and wish everyone who prefers a DR many happy miles ridden in good health; no universal and absolute superiority claimed for KLRs.
  12. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:

I've noticed this as well. A little too much.

"But, do the DR aficionados expect everyone to clone their own preferences and share their requirements? "

Everyone has their own needs and wants when riding a motorcycle. I can understand people giving their '2 cents' on To Buy or Not to Buy but the one getting the bike.really needs to sit down and realize what their goals are when riding. As well as figure out which bike can help achieve those goals.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KLR definitely gets the nod for 2up, and for people that want a spacious cockpit. Even with the ergos opened up, the DR still feels like a smaller bike. People under 5'9"-5'10" are likely to feel more at home on a farkled DR though. The KLR feels HUGE off-pavement by comparison, but I've never felt an advantage with one on the slab, and my DR has a front knobby but no windscreen. It still feels pretty planted at 80MPH+.

The DR seems perfectly comfortable with a full load though, seems fine burning slab across the country at 80MPH, and is actually better at not overheating than most liquid-cooled bikes. The valves are even adjustable in the middle of a long trek like a RTW or multi-continent ride. Windscreen? A lot of people don't even need one over the stock headlight shroud. People that do want one have many options available, from a screen fashioned out of a $5 wastebasket to an $80-$100 screen from Cee Baileys, ScreensForBikes, and several others. A Safari tank, or just a 5gal IMS or Acerbis tank, and some tank panniers even shields the rider's legs pretty well. Simplistic gauges? Some people prefer simple. For those that don't, Trailtech and other vendors have an answer.

From my perspective, I think a lot of the KLR's popularity is due to it's long history and it's visibility in moto-travel circles. The aftermarket has been around for the KLR a LONG time now. In comparison, the aftermarket for the DR has only been pretty extensive for a few short years. Without the aftermarket, the KLR is a much better-equipped dualsport for long travels. Now that the DR's aftermarket is pretty extensive and affordable too though, the DR is becoming more and more popular as something other than a local-usage-only kind of ride. The KLR is also marketed as a DOHC, liquid-cooled bike. Unfortunately, the KLR doesn't seem to take advantage of what DOHCs and liquid-cooling can provide. Conversely, the DR's SACS air/oil-cooling works very well, and the DR motor responds pretty enthusiastically to basic power mods like carb and exhaust upgrades and/or piston/cam kits. The gear-driven balancer makes the motor pretty smooth, and the DR isn't known for burning oil, even running at higher revs. The DR motor seems happy turning at considerable speed, and it pulls it's wider gearspread pretty well, especially with an FCR39 or TM40 carb.

The doo? Eagle Mike has made it almost a non-issue, IMO. It's akin to loctiting and torquing the NSU screws and the primary gear on a DR. It's an afternoon in the garage, drinking some cold beer.

The KLR and DR people who get bent out of shape because of debate? They just seem to have an insecurity issue. Why let debate be unsettling? Different strokes for different folks.
  14. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well I rode my KLR 8875 miles to Alaska and back in 3 weeks .. And with exception of replacing oem chain and sprockets and a pair of tires in Anchorage I never touched the bike with a wrench entire trip ..

Its exactly 1 year old and I have 20k miles .. that's why I ride it ..it fits me and my riding skill level im not a fast rider or over aggressive ..
  15. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of miles over 3 weeks, even in a luxury touring sedan. :lol3

Did you have enough time to enjoy it at least?
  16. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my KLR 650 for a year. No money to take it to a shop to fix.
    I put new gas, new plug, clean the carb and no go!! Starts and runs for about less then a minute, and dies!!!!
    So my kaw sits for a going on a year and no rides for me.
    My Yamahas start and ride all the time. Even with old gas in the tank.
    So, any help???:wink:
  17. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    KLR - 50 K+ miles, and starts 1st time, every time, for going on 8 years now.

As for the debate between which bike is 'better' the DR or KLR? Read both DR and KLR threads and you will see a host of 'issues' with both bikes. We all have several choices for bikes. Make your own and enjoy yourself. All bikes have issues -period.

Pompous, my bike is better cooled than yours, my rear cush drive lasts longer than yours type of comments - well they are more descriptive of the asinine writer than the bike.

Back to 'Big Ed' The fun and benefit of owning a simple single is the ease at which you can learn to wrench yourself. Start some 'lernin'. Sounds like you have a fuel starvation issue. Either your fill cap is not venting or the petcock and vacume system is not working (provided the carb and fuel system is properly clean.).

Comparing a carb system to FI (if your Yamah's are FI) is not fair. The one works on vacume and atmospheric pressure and the other FI on forced hydraulic pressure.
  18. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't buy a DR simply because of the tranny issues... The thought of riding a bike that 3rd gear could explode destroying the entire engine with no warning is highly disauding.
  19. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    $600 parts cost plus installation costs to split the whole motor would give peace of mind with an aftermarket gear set on the DR.

$40 parts cost plus installation costs to take off 2 side covers would give you peace of mind for an aftermarket EM doo on the KLR.

There is more than enough road for all the bikes and the freedom to choose which one.
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is fuel getting to the carb?

Is your choke assembly working correctly?

Is your carb adjusted correctly?