Pintos to Airheads to KLR'S. Natural progression??

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Foot dragger, Aug 20, 2008.

1. El Hombre

El Hombre Banned

Oddometer:
    Compared to a Vega or Chevette, a Pinto was a Swiss watch. They didn't have many problems, pretty standard tech for the day. The gas tank thing was way overblown. I saw crash test video back in the day; you had to hit the rear of a stationary Pinto above 40 mph to maybe get the gas tank. The impact was more likely to kill you. I did a 100 or so of the recall mods. It was an 8"x10" plastic sheet that u-bolted to the straps holding the gas tank. Right behind the diff. It was the sharp corners on the diff that holed the tank.

A new filler neck that had the flange on the inside of the body instead of on the outside. The original one could pull out of the tank if the back of the car was compressed a couple of feet or more. The new one had torx screws that would strip out and let the neck move with the tank.

Had a relative that was a bodyguard for HF2 for 25 years. They used to cruise around Grosse Pointe in a '72 Pinto Country Squire wagon.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Now the Squire wagon was a nice version,Did they ever do a Barbie goes to the beach version of the pinto? That stick on wood grain just some how said class in Kapital letters. Al would know the details on all this stuff being the pinto magnate of ADV. The vegas had some kind of engine block difficulty? Any Colt owners out there? Another classic killed before its time.:lol3
  3. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I was the owner of 3 SAAB 95-96's the wagons and a sedan, both two stoke and the V4. That's a car you don't want to get obsessed with. :huh

Solid enough, and the two stokes are just creamy old world goodness when they're in good running fettle. If you don't mind mixing one quart of 2cycle oil with every 8 gallons of fuel. :rofl
  4. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    OMG I had a Saab 850 Monte Carlo... what a fun car! Had a 3 cyl. 2 stroke engine (850cc!) with three carburetors. Full length sliding cloth sunroof, wood rim steering wheel. And when you let of the gas, it felt that it accelerated, as it had a freewheel with absolutely NO engine braking... memories...:eek1