Off to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joevano, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I ended up staying in Prince George and relaxing.

Adjusted and lubed my chain, looked over the bike, and got a manicure. Oops, can I delete that?

There are four bikers coming here tonight from Idaho. It will be nice to have someone to ride with.

It's a scary feeling to loose your wallet 2,000 miles from home. The little kid at the gas station looked scared when I reached into my empty pocket and started screaming and swearing. I calmed down a bit and found it on the floor of the MC dealer I was last at. Whew!

Off to Hyder tomorrow, only about 420 miles. Hey Daggy, you were right about piling on the miles up here!

There is a serious tent caterpillar problem up here.[​IMG]
  3. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures look great.

What did you end up doing to get them from the ipad to Snugmug?

Looks like you discovered a new way to carry a tank bag.

Ride Safe!

daryl

[​IMG]
  4. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. Love the way the bike is packed.
    [​IMG]
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Love alaska, love dual-sport bikes, I'm in;
    :lurk
  6. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    Be sure to get some fudge at the shop just past the border in Hyder and have a beer at the Sealaska for me.
  7. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, keep them coming and ride safe.
  8. Bluesjammer

Bluesjammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe, you're off to a roarin start. Have fun, stay safe, and keep sharing the pics.

Steve
  9. Dreamgirl

Dreamgirl dreamgirl

Oddometer:
    Really cool pics Joe, keep them coming!:clap
  10. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Well you've ridden two of the best roads in BC - Kaslo to New Denver and Creston to the Ferry (3A).
    Enjoy your trip!

11. Ivanhoe-2001

Ivanhoe-2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made the trip last July. I did the same thing you did, took too much stuff. My wife met me in Anchorage and she brought back a large bag on the plane. I was riding a DL 650 and the trip home was much better without all the extra weight and bulk. I experienced the same concerns about something going wrong with the bike. Decided the best thing to do was turn up the music. The DL never missed a lick! I am in keep it coming. ic
  12. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe,

I hope the weather continued to improve as you all headed north. Glad you managed to get away instead of sitting around waiting for the weather to change! I usually try to get a few pictures of all our guests, but the weather wasn't really cooperating, so all I managed was this shot while you were re-organizing your gear on the DR.

[​IMG]

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and you're certainly welcome to stop by on your way south if your route takes you through PG again. Be safe and keep the pics coming!

Kelly
  13. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all, laying in bed at Liard Hot Springs listening to the generator and the rain.

We ended up making it to Hyder at about 9:30 Saturday night. Left Prince George about 12:30 after Phil got a new rear tire mounted. He only had 800 miles on the Heidenau (sp?) but it was defecting and wobbling and scalping.

Got to say that all the roads have been great but when we rounded the corner and headed up the Cassier it got even better! Most of the Cassier we ran 70-75, except to slow down and look at bears.

The road into Stewart/Hyder was unbelievable with snow covered peaks. They had record snows this year and avalanches did their damage. Lots of trees were flattened and a concrete bridge was destroyed.

Hyder is an interested town. Surrounded by Canada, there is customs just to enter and leave town, and a dead end it is. If you've never been there, you missed it because the streets (both of them), are being paved this year for the first time. You know it,s a drinking town when the town dog is named Hops!

Left Hyder Sunday morning and blasted up to Dease Lake hoping to go down into Telegraph Creek that night. The report from the rider on a Super Tenere was bad. Pouring rain and deep mud made us think better of it. Especially since one of the KTM's was running with no electric. The main power connector melted so we jumped it and he can only run with no headlights and no heated gear, just enough current flow to spark and keep the battery charged.

We bush camped next to a creek north of Dease Sunday night. Looking over the bike, I found that me exhaust can bolt went bye-bye but we had a spare to bolt it back on. I must say I'm pretty happy with the DR, no comfort issues and it keeps up with the KTM 950's!

Well it's midnight (still some light out) so better call it a day. More to come.
  14. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    Joe, are you riding in a group now? Who is "Phil"?
  15. Airhead Steve

Airhead Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe,
    I just want you to know that all of us back in Minneapolis are cheering you on and enjoying your adventure vicariously.
    We were even talking about your report at the BMWMOCM Board of Directors meeting tonight. The general idea was "Go Joe!" :clap
    Diane and I hope you are having a great time. Try to post some more photos and at the Rally, have a beer for me!

Airhead Steve
  16. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few days late on this one. But dang, I love the Alaskan ride reports. Thanks for bringing us along!
  17. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]This was at midnight from the Midnight Dome over Dawson City YT. Big party up there to celebrate the solstice. The sun finally dipped below the horizon about 12:40.
  18. ipaqpoweruser

ipaqpoweruser Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Cool sunset/sunrise :clap

Be safe.

JimL
  19. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool shot, Joe. More pics, please!!!
  20. akadvntr

akadvntr Frozen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic shot from the Dome! Can't believe I had to miss D2D this year :cry