Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It gets bantered about and debated in many threads. I was wondering what the ADV-riders feel about it.

Yes it should it be legal.
    Yes But ONLY on the Hwy
    Yes Only at controlled intersections
    No It is reckless and should not be made legal.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    What do you think?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  2. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    Yes all the way. I hate sitting in traffic after work.

While were at it, legalize (decriminalize, at least) that other thing that gets bantered about quite often. :jose
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super
  4. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's stupid to ask bikes to operate like cars. That's when they become invisible. Allow bikes to take advantage of their greatest assets: Small size and very maneuverable.

Thank God I live where this is not an issue.
  5. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden where it is legal and split where it is illegal.

From my perspective, there are very few downsides to lane splitting. California, where it is not illegal (subtle difference), it reduces congestion a small amount, and allows people on motorcycles to make progress when cagers can't. According to CHP, splitting accidents comprise a very, very small percentage of all accidents.

Of course, California has some of the better freeways out there with both wide lanes and plenty of HOV lanes, making the whole thing easier. T'would be a different story in states where there freeways tend to be more narrow in and around cities.

I'm currently in the Philadelphia area and the very thought of splitting somewhere like I-76 when things are congested would be terrifying.
  6. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cant think of any rider that actually wants to sit in traffic.... well, other than the Harley riders around here in LA - they love sitting in traffic for some reason.

:dunno
  7. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not done much lane splitting, mostly because I have never ridden in a place it is legal. The few times that I have lane split I can attribute to either immature foolishness or survival.

While lane splitting would not be appropiate in many places, I can't think of any state that I have ridden in that does not have at least some places that lane splitting would be a good thing.
  8. dave58

dave58 Not if I see you first

Oddometer:
    Make it legal in all 50. If it works here in CA (and it DOES), it should work most anywhere. When done right, its not a problem. What I hate to see (and what gives lane splitting a bad name with cagers) are the dumbasses going balls-out between the lanes. You don't need to go 50 mph faster than the flow of traffic. Slow the hell down!
  9. TheBigSteve

TheBigSteve I wish my name was Dick.

Oddometer:
    Exactly my point. TONS more accidents are caused by cagers with unsecured loads and riders going too fast on curves. The dangers of lanesplitting are completely nullified by the benefits.
  10. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the intersection thing...I hardly ever...almost never ride on anything other than back roads and hicktowns, so the all the way on a highway thing doesn't mean much to me.
  11. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Educating the auto drivers would be the big hurdle.

As it stands now, there is a large percent of people who get pissed when they see motorcycles gaining any advantage in a congested traffic situation.

I don't see any Federal legislation on something like this. Rules like this are usually left to The States.

If it were enacted, I think a max top speed of something like 45mph while splitting would be a good idea.

I've seen some real nutters in places like D.C. splitting at 70+mph. Shite like that just pisses people off...
  12. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    amen. all you would have to do is add a paragraph to the DMV book about how motorcycles will overheat if they dont and its safer for bikes in traffic to lane split.

......stupid cagers.

:bluduh
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeebus, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't split lanes. It does save time on the commute, but the biggest advantage, IMHO, is the clear space that opens up ahead of a rider when leaving a red light. It's very nice to have a couple hundred yards ahead that's mostly clear of traffic, especially on the ride home. Lotsa cranky people during the afternoon/evening drive.
    I've had quite a few drivers lean out their windows and ask me why I do such a stupid thing, and once I explain the clear spot theory to them, they mostly nod and agree. Mostly. Some just get really pissed that I'll be home quite a bit sooner than they will.:1drink
  14. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    I would save about 20 minutes on my commute. Unfortunately I don't think anything will ever change here...:becca
  15. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    several of you know how i feel about lane sharing. Do it responsibly. But then again, operating any motor vehicle must be done responsibly, so we are certainly not asking any more of motrocyclists than we are of cagers.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    275 views 66 poll hits??????? What are you all afraid of?
  17. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the choices...
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Commitment!
  19. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    interesting topic. my neighbor whom is a pretty laid back guy (who does not or has ever rode) was absolutely incensed when I road by him on my way into the city. he let me have it with both barrels, "its unsafe, its illegal, i did not see you, you are going to kill your self, why should you when i cannot?" I tried to break it down for him.

#1 there is a difference in lane splitting through congested stopped traffic and doing at super +speeds when the traffic is moving well

#2 Its actually safer

#3 is it my fault you are not aware of your surroundings?

of course his eyes glazed over and nothing i said meant anything. but, the real issue is selling this to johny q public who is completely ignorant of the subject.
  20. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm all in favor of advantages to us motorcyclists.

But I find I do get pissed when I'm riding around the city and I'm the first at a light and the car/truck/van behind me pulls to my side (probably blocking the bicycle lane), then creeps forward as the other light slowly turns to yellow, then they floor it to be the first through the intersection and the first to be stopped behind all the cars at the red light ahead of us.
    I got into a pissing contest with a big ugly van the other day and won, but didn't feel proud about it.

If drivers like this are willing to all but run me outta my lane just to get ahead by 7 feet, what are they gonna do if they see a bike cutting through traffic?