Yamaha FZ-07 vs Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Solarbronco, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people are comparing the FZ-07 against the Suzuki SV-650, but another comparison is the Honda NC700X. From a price point, these two will be compared by many new Motorcycle buyers in the coming months and years. The FZ-07 smokes the Honda in about every category. Yamaha is back Baby!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e63_mbOPMg4" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CyOiYuOi5QY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V9_WCRirsN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    The NC 700X is really in a class by itself IMO. Under powered, fuel efficient commuter & nothing else beats it at that. I do like the Honda but, I'll take the FZ-07 over it any day. The NC 700X is more for the scooter people who want something more "motorcycle like".

The only thing I see in the same class (here in the states) are the SFV 650 & the Versys. Both bikes are $1,000 more & around 50 lbs. extra weight.
  3. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    well yamaha is not shy about going straight at the competition. i would like the "FJ" series to expand to include some of these bikes with faring. not for wind protection or anything like that although it may be helpful, but just for looks. i like a bit of presence in front, so to speak. a "bikini" faring like my FZ6 would be fine

i think i like the styling on this more then the FZ09. it does look a sleeker piece and better sculpted imo. it also has same size tires, giving it a nice stance. i like that yamaha uses big rear tires on their more ordinary bikes. this bike wears the same size rear as the R6. again, i just think it looks better. don't know what it does for handling?

pretty sure i like this bike. it looks like a finished FZ09. styling wise, i mean.

so far as this Vs the NC700X? this bike, all day long. but they are for different audiences, most likely. those looking for ultimate practicality may choose the Honda, performance be damned. now get some luggage for this bike and some wind protection up front (faring) and the FZ07 could go head to head in practicality imo. but so could many bikes

and the Honda has onboard storage. that is nice. it has great fuel mileage and an auto trans option. attractive for some

so as much as Yamaha wants us to think that bike is part of the "competition," i don't think it is, too much
  4. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, the Ninja 650 and SFV650 attract the same buyer as the FZ07 or vise versa. The NC700.........not so much.

Amazing how my Honda 919 weights about the same as the Ninja 650, but it has 110 horse.:clap And that's a 12 year old design, kudos to Honda. It didn't have great sales, but was engineered great.
  5. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FZ v NC = fun v. practical, not much of a comparison really, different bikes for different needs.

I'm seriously considering the FZ7 for my next bike, cross shopping it with the Versys and Shiver. CB500 also in the running though in the end I'll probably want a little more performance. Really want something under 450 wet, which is why the FZ is the leading candidate.
  6. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    That 919 is one heck of a bike. Never understood why it didn't sell well in the US. Great bikes and they seem to be lasting well.

7. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

Lol duuuude. :lol3 That would be like saying people shopping for a Ural Sidecar, also would have a CBR600RR in the potential buy mix.

A Lotus Elise or a Volvo V60 Electric Diesel Hybrid.

These two bikes, potential selling price aside, are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Of course the Yammie "smokes" the NCX! The whole entire point of the Honda design, was to go against convention, and not be a boy racer sport bike that went around dusting off other bikes in drag races and wheelies, and knee puck scraping hijinks.

I would love to have an FZ-07 in my garage!

...next to my NC700X.
  8. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode the manual NC750X today. Great commuter. Slick and smooth. Lots of great features and accessories. Luggage, main stand etc.

The MT07 is one of the most fun bikes i've ridden in a very long time. An absolute barrel of laughs. Suspension is a bit poor - but that's fixable. Lacks some of the practical touches of the NC.

Sensible stuff - the Honda.

Shits and giggles - the Yamaha.

Both prove you don't have to spend crazy money to have a good time.
  9. MaxFuel

MaxFuel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What?? The NC700X a middle weight street fighter? :lol3 I will keep my NC700X for what it's great at...packing up with camping gear and heading out for 3-days and get 75 mpg.

I'll spend a thousand more for the triple take the FZ-09 for shits and giggles.
  10. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for you :D

I would buy an FZ-07 today, if I could.
    Yammerha, are ya listening? :ear
  11. MaxFuel

MaxFuel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Yamaha...let's see your FZ-07 do this....:rofl:lol3

[​IMG]
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    A different brand of beer may have impressed Yamaha.
  13. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Yamaha riders drink wine coolers. :csm
  14. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a scooter beat an NC700X at the dragstrip last week. Everybody was laughing their arses off.
  15. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bikes are built for different purposes. It is no surprise that the Yamaha excels at what it was built for. The Honda does just as well in achieving its design objectives. For my purposes, the FZ-07 would not have worked. It has essentially no sub-frame and spindly looking wheels. That the Yamaha "smokes" it elicits a yawn rather than a look of surprise, or a lament for having bought the "wrong one".

We got chocolate. We got vanilla. For some more money we got pistachio.

Whaddaya want?
  16. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    either a hipster or a redneck
  17. MaxFuel

MaxFuel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% redneck. :beer
  18. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    I've had my picked up locally used NCX for 4K mile now. One of the most forgettable regretted bikes of the hundred odd I've owned. I ride it, for sure it gets me places, but not so much fun.

Now that I have a choice of the 7 or 9 I will support Yamaha by buying a new bike.
  19. oldoval

oldoval Your Ad Here

Oddometer:
    So by the Honda apologists way of thinking.....Yamaha should neuter their engine so it gets better gas mileage, add 77 lbs of lead weight, and charge $800 more than they are currently asking in order to put them on the same playing field with Honda. Got it.

Buy the bike you want, but I'm not buying into the "I want to pay more, and have more weight and less power" argument.

20. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh ya, that's exactly what the NCX was designed to do, be a drag racer and a "Street fighter" lol

What an utter crock of shit that video, and the morons who came up with it :lol3

Hey! Let's tell everyone our new bike beats the NC700 at everything that it was designed to NOT do, and look like freaking heros! Yaaaay!