All things Triumph Street Triple

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by queenpdog, Aug 17, 2010.

1. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few months back I traded in my Triumph Scrambler on a new '09 Street Triple R. I have been so impressed and in awe of this bike and it's many talents that I was sure there must be an all encompassing Street Triple thread here in Road Warriors. My searches revealed nothing very substantial.

Therefore, I am starting this Street Triple thread to share my experiences and connect with other owners of this truly awesome bike. Are you an owner of a Streetie? Please check in here.

Here is my bike in "adventure" mode. Light touring is a hoot on her.

[​IMG]

My Street Triple is pretty close to stock right now. In fact, this is the first bike that I have owned that I didn't feel an immediate need to "fix" some annoying niggles. There are a few here as well, but nothing too bad. Currently she has these additions:

Triumph flyscreen and R visor
    Triumph seat bag (not shown)
    Ventura Rack and pack

Future possible "enhancements":

Sargent saddle
    Peg lowering kit (old knees)
    Engine protection of some sort
    I'm sure I'll add to this list over time.

The Good
    Amazing 675 motor (13,000 RPM redline - yeah, I've been there :evil)
    Telepathic handling - I swear, I just think about turning and she goes
    Decent suspension - On the R, anyway. I have not heard good things about the base ST suspension.
    Very light weight - something I really wanted after the Scram
    Very good brakes - again, upgraded on the R model
    Did I mention the handling..........and that sweet sounding motor?

The So-So:

The seat isn't great, but I did 300 mile days last weekend without too much pain and suffering.
    Wind protection is limited. This isn't a bother when she is in commuter and hooligan modes, a little tiring while putting on longer miles.
    In hot weather my ass cooks. Still, I don't think I'll be going to a low pipe.
    The bike handles packed gravel nicely, but the tires limit you quite a bit. I hit some deeper gravel over the weekend and it got real sketchy pretty quickly. There aren't a lot of options for the ST's wheel sizes. I know that is not what the bike is built for, but my exploring will always include some dirt.

That's it for now. I plan to update this thread as I get to know her better (currently at 2000 miles). I'd love to hear your experiences with the Street Triple, or help steer potential buyers to the dark side.:1drink

Cheers.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another shot.

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 and Matt-J2 like this.
  3. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulation on such a great bike!

Everytime I go to the dealer, always make a point to go see the Speedy and the striper...

Regards,
    Mane
  4. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a ST in the stable - looks like too much fun :D
  5. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    The Llama farm shot is kinda weak.. careful your man card doesn't get suspended:deal:lol3:freaky:1drink

I test rode the Streetie.... got scolded for repeated front wheel lofting. Great bike!
  6. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man card?
    Turns out I don't need one.....being a woman and all.
    :rofl
    Julia
    TonyKZ1, greggski, YJake and 2 others like this.
  7. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    Hey Julia,
    I've had mine since they came out 2 years ago. Before the R was introduced. I got the Traxxion Dynamics suspension upgrade so it's equal to a R except for the brakes. Brakes are adequate on the standard Striple and actually the suspension is as well unless you're doing serious track riding.

It's really a fun bike and great in the mountain twisties.

I had a Daytona 675 for a couple of years and loved it except it was just too uncomfortable for a 6 foot tall guy with 70 year old knees. The Striple is as much fun, more actually, and much more comfortable. The motor is pure heaven.

I might go for a peg lowering kit some day. That would make it more rideable for the longer rides. My long mountain loop ride is about 3 hours with a break in the middle. I'm starting to get fatigued at the end of that ride. Funny thing is that the more challenging and twisty the road the less fatiguing it is. 3 hours on the slab and I'd be shot.

I've got an expandable tail bag on mine and use it for grocery shopping. Can cram two full bags of groceries into the bag.

My next bike might be the Sprint GT when it gets to the US.
  8. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Oops... lol :lol3
  9. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    Get yourself some tank pads. Being able to grab with your knees will improve overall confidence through the corners and also relieve some strain on your hands and wrists.

I'll be lowering my pegs as well, too. (6'2").
  10. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    I have a Bonnie but the striple has long intrigued me. I was hoping to ride one at the recent Demo event, but it was booked many hours in advance. :cry
  11. Tennessee Jed 08

Tennessee Jed 08 Banned

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a 2009 Street Triple, base model. Since I'm 150-160lbs with gear on the suspension is fine for me and the brakes are fine as well even though I hear raves about the R version. Love the bike, going to ride the Blue Ridge Highway in a few weeks and then over to Tennessee to ride the dragon with some friends. Not the best bike for a 800 mile one way trip, especially without the screen, but the bike is a blast to ride. I'll pick up the screen at some point I think, hopefully before I leave in September.
  12. SportsLawGuru

SportsLawGuru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a month and 2,000 miles, I must say... I love my STripR! Great do-it-all bike. Only flaw I've found is the seat. Bit too much forward slope for an upright riding position. I think I'm going to switch it out for the Sargent, as it looks a little bit flatter.

[​IMG]
  13. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The scrambler and the street are so different, why did you choose the scrambler at first and then switch?
  14. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    I need a sporty naked bike for the stable. Something like this, or maybe a Monster. I've looked at Sv650s too, but they're so....common.

You folks with seat complaints would do well to contact Alaskan Leathers - you can find a discount in the Vendor section. Nothing beats a sheepskin for comfort. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter; they're magic I tell you!
  15. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have a problem. Admitting it is the first step in recovery, right? Every 2 years or so I start getting the itch for a new bike. I have honestly loved every bike that I have owned (or probably ridden for that matter) and I really can't afford to have more than one in my "stable" so to speak. That is the short answer.

The longer answer is that on the Scrambler (which is a fantastic bike) I found myself searching for 6th gear all the time. I loved the low end torque, but I thought it was about time I have a quick bike....never really have. I have to admit that now that I have had the hp and quickness, it will hard to ride anything less. Maybe someday the next gen Triumph adventure bike. We'll see.

Having said all of that (yep, I'm rambling), the Scrambler and the Street have a lot of similarities as well. Both have a sweet, proven, bulletproof motor. Both have a very standard riding position. Both are sexy in their own way. Both are Triumphs! I do wish I could own both.
  16. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kevin! :wave

My little trip last weekend was made much more tolerable with the Alaskan Leather butt pad. I wouldn't road trip without it...even on a Sargent. It just makes such a comfort difference.
  17. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tail bag do you have that expands to fit two grocery bags? :eek1
  18. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't forget a slip on for the exhaust. not alot of performance, but oh does that Triple Sing!!! That was the main reason I got the Triumph performance slip on on my Sprint ST. I just love the sound.
  19. SportsLawGuru

SportsLawGuru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a Nelson-Rigg CL-150. It can hold a couple grocery bags. It expands about 4 inches taller when you unzip it. Here's a pic of it on the bike.

[​IMG]
  20. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came to the street triple after a long line of bikes and its very, very good.

However, I made the mistake of getting the standard version and then demoing a R. The latters suspension and brakes makes it a no brainer (it did when it first came out as there was only a £400 difference, its now nearly double that).

As it cost too much to change and my stock one had a lot of farkles on it (including the low boy arrow) I kept it (and its black).

Recently have upgraded to the daytona forks and a maxton shock, which gives me the improved brakes of the R with arguably better suspension.

Will have mine for 2 years this September (it was a late 40th present) and can find no good reason to change. I love the fact that I can see myself in the headlamps bowls using the clutch and brake levers.

Downside as Julia has mentioned is the windblast. It would be great to have a easily detachable half fairing and abs as options. Still love it though.