DRZ 400E Adventure Racks

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jackpiner57, May 7, 2012.

1. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out our website: http://www.moto-racks.com/index.html

DRZ 400 E Luggage Racks - Made in the
    USA

---------------------------------------------------------------------

* Strong 4 point attachment system.

* Large 16.5" x 14.5" platform to hold lots of gear in any type of large bag like the Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel and even a 1.75 gal. RotopaX Gas Pack.

* Guaranteed not to break. I'll pay to ship it back to me and ship you a new one. No questions asked.

* Easy installation with all fasteners and mounting instructions included. Requires enlarging one hole to 5/16" on an aluminum tab on the sub-frame to accommodate an 8mm bolt and lock nut.

* RotopaX ready cross plate with threaded holes for attaching/detaching the RotopaX Pack Mount quickly and easily with just two bolts (included). The new RotopaX 1.75 gal. fuel or water packs fit this rack.

* Has 4 large bungee loops to hold straps captive and allows Fastex type buckles to fit through.

* Sits flush with top of seat to help prevent lower back injury in a slide off the back.

Price: $139.00 plus $17.00 shipping

[​IMG]

===============================================================================

DRZ 400E Top Rack with Side Racks:

* Top Rack measures 16.5" x 14.5" and will hold lots of gear in any type of large bag like the Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel. The new RotopaX 1.75 gal. fuel or water pack fits right on. RotopaX ready cross plate for attaching/detaching the RotopaX Pack Mount quickly and easily with just two bolts. Has 4 large bungee loops to hold straps captive and allows Fastex type buckles to fit through.

* Side Racks are designed to hold any side bags including Wolfman Expedition Dry
    Saddle Bags. Their metal strap clips fit into our side rack loops to hold bags tight to the rack. Requires purchase of the Top Rack because it only works as a 3 piece system.

* Top Rack sits flush with top of seat to minimize injury to your lower back if you slide off the back or are rear ended.

* Easy bolt on installation with all fasteners and mounting instructions included.

* Painted Satin Black

Price: $328.00 plus $28.00 shipping

[​IMG]

Optional Side Rack Cross Brace:

Price: $39.95 with free shipping if bought with side racks. $12.00 shipping if bought alone.

[​IMG]
  2. NorthernCarver

NorthernCarver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Job Tom
    I look forward to having you set up on my bike.
  3. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    More great-looking work!

Since I'm always here to offer helpful criticism (:D)...how about a rear hoop to anchor the sideracks together? I know the DRZ isn't a real mule to begin with, but won't having them free-floating limit their weight capacity pretty badly?

Like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sherm! I'll be working on a new set later this week. I know you'll give them a proper off road workout!
  5. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback subybaja! Good idea. I have considered a cross brace, but they are pretty strong as is. I will add one if testing reveals a need for it. I want to keep the system as light as possible, and I'm waiting for Canuman to report how his set is holding up.

6. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Tom,

Your E-model system is gorgeous. I've got an S-model (with a subframe of course) myself but if I had an E, I don't think I've ever seen anything else that could compare. At any price.

To take such a capable bike and make it travel-ready in this manner essentially makes it a whole 'nother bike (for the better!) And without having to BUY another bike.

Good luck with this project!

Jeff
  7. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thank you Jeff! I appreciate the support. I'm currently making another set for more R&D tweaking. I'll keep you posted on how testing is going. When I'm satisfied with the design, I'll bring a set over for you guys to try out.

-Tom
  8. NewHampWoodsRider

NewHampWoodsRider Tag Captor

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to working with you on some racks for my KLR!
    Your current racks look very very nice!!:clap
  9. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks NHWR, I'm looking forward to designing some for your bike too. It will be nice to be able to offer KLR riders an adventure rack system!
  10. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd post up about the testing of the E racks. I have them on two different E's and so far so good.

I have been reluctant to tie the two side racks together with a bar around the back, because I'm afraid that if one side takes a hit, it will bend the entire aluminum sub frame out of shape.

As they are now, (both sides independent) you can bend the side rack back into shape if it takes a hard hit.

What do you guys think?
  11. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of orders so far for this rack system and want to try to get a few more before sending them out for powder coating. It's cheaper when I send more pieces to them.
  12. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda surprised there aren't more takers for these racks. Maybe it was a waste of time?
  13. Roll-sen

Roll-sen Hater be Hatin'

Oddometer:
    I'd be in for a top rack if you offered that by itself.
  14. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input Roll-sen. I'm going to seriously look into a stronger mounting system for just a big top rack by itself. Off to the drawing board I go.:wink:
  15. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I'm currently taking orders for this rack system. Allow 2 weeks for delivery.
  16. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for mine! I will give a full report on how your rack fairs through the wilds of Canada when I return. No crazy off-roading, but enough washboard to rattle your fillings loose!

You might drum up some business by posting over at Thumpertalk in the DRZ section!
  17. NewHampWoodsRider

NewHampWoodsRider Tag Captor

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure of meeting Tom last week!
    He's a stand up honest guy who knows what he is doing and can fabricate some very nice racks!
    I would not hesitate doing business with him!

He is fabricating panier racks for my 2009 KLR650!
    I saw the prototype and they look awesome!!
    I cant wait to see the final product!!

Thanks Tom!
  18. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    These have been holding up very well (that's my black DRZE with the prototype racks.) I haven't been on any epic rides with them, but have done plenty of bashing through the bush on some rugged trails, and there haven't been any issues at all. The bike has taken a few naps without any problems. Tom and I are hoping to get up to Maine soon and really wring things out, but I'm positive on this system. One of the best things is that one hardly notices the rack when it's not loaded, and it's pretty tight to the bike when it is.
  19. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Tom, Every adventure story I ever read in print, like Odyssey to Ushuaia, goes into great length over and over about how often their luggage racks cracked and failed on "independently sided" racking systems. It would seem there's got to be a connection between the two sides. Could part of the connection between the two sides be somehow a fusible link? You know something rigid enough to connect the two sides in daily use but deliberately weak enough to shear under the right circumstances?
  20. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to give it to you!:lol3 Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. It's a good thing my racks are Canadian corduroy resistant.:wink:

Thanks for the suggestion about TT. I'll have to look into their requirements to post my racks.

Thanks, but the pleasure was all mine! I really enjoyed the trail ride we took and was impressed with the skills you exhibited in the rock gardens on the big KLR! :thumb

I'm in the process of making the jigs right now, and will be done with everything early next week.

Glad to hear they're holding up! They should get a good workout with all the camping gear and such up in swamp donkey country.

Looking forward to the exploratory expedition!