AFX FX-39 DS helmet?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stubmw, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi vanseagal. That question is hard to answer quantitatively. IMO they do not fog noticeably more than anything else....but they do fog. Don't know about the pinlock setup, sorry.

BP
  2. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    The shape of the two helmets is the same, but the sizing is different. The interior (ABS liner) volume of the AFX is larger than typical, the Fly more consistent with industry norm.

I will try to explain this so it makes sense: Size L is statistically the most common size. Since the AFX runs large, a person who typically wears an L, needs an M. The outer shell mold size splits at M > L. XS, S, M use the small shell, L, XL, 2XL use the large mold.

In many cases, a person who typically wears an L, needs an M in the AFX. The interior volume is OK for this, but the "container" (outer shell) is smaller...occasionally too small. Chinbar too close, not enough vertical volume, etc.

We have found that this affects size M wearers mostly, and most of our size returns are that size. Not all Ms, mind you, but more than statistically normal. Less a problem with other size, S, L, etc.

It is good that the AFX has more graphics, the quick release, was first to market, etc. BUT....in cases where the wearer specs out to an AFX size M, we recommend the Fly L, and have much better success, and much fewer returns.

Some feel that the two helmets fit the same. We are respectful of everyone's opinions, but after dealing with these two helmets in some detail, I am very, very confident they fit large.

All that said, vanseagal....I do not know the warranty of the Fly...BUT....I would choose based on fit, maybe on other features, not on warranty. The AFX warranty is great, yet I would not wear ANY helmet that long. Frankly, I do not know what the liner would be like at that point anyway.

Hope that helps.

BP
  3. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I hope that the finnish vendors could be this helpful in our motorcycle forums.

So the shell size is bigger on both helmets from M to L. I'm leaning towards the size S AFX on this comparison. It might be a snug fit though.

Luckily we don't get AFX helmets in Europe so everybody wins. Atomic-moto is getting paid. Postage will go to post office and the finnish tax officers are getting the vat. Last but not least, I'm getting a great helmet for couple of euros.
  4. Buzuka

Buzuka drz400e \ f800gs

Oddometer:
    Hi I wear a helmet SHOEI size M. .. it's perfect for me.
    What size should I choose to AFX 39ds?
    thanks
  5. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Hi Buzuka. What is your head measurement?

BP
  6. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Hey BP! Thought I'd ping you on any word for the chin curtain for the AFX/Fly... I'm guessing no word yet.. :cry

Thanks!
  7. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Nope...

BP
  8. Buzuka

Buzuka drz400e \ f800gs

Oddometer:
    58 cm
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Yes, I suggest a size M. You are well within the spec for that size.

Hope that helps!!

BP
  10. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    On my last ride with BigDog...

[​IMG]

(ride report here) afternoon temps here in Missouri on the first of December were reaching the 70s :D, but the mornings were cold.. so I knew I needed a chin curtain.. its really bad when your contacts freeze to your eyeballs... so since THESE aren't available... I decided I'd try to put my Shoei DS Hornet chin curtain on my Fly Trekker Large...

[​IMG]

As you can see it fits pretty well.. not perfect but it did very good. I think that if it were a new chin curtain it would have done a better job blocking the wind.. as you can see the elastic is a bit worn out and loose.

Just thought I'd pass that along.. hopefully the AFX / Fly chin curtain will be available someday.. but a new Shoei DS Hornet curtain is only $6.50..
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    maybe by the time it gets hot around here.:wink:
  12. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    are replacement liners in size small available yet?
  13. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  14. up2nogood

up2nogood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for actively being involved here, BP.

Just put an order in for an AFX FX39 from you (and some other gear), look forward to getting it! :D
  15. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im still having trouble finding replacement liners for this helmet.. been looking for close to a year now and every dealer I call cant seem to get one in. Do I need to buy a brand new helmet if I only need a liner?
  16. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I was just going to ask about gettin a liner also. I would ilke to know if getting a size smaller XL-> Lg will make the helmet fit a bit snugger??
  17. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as the shell size is the same, yes, it will make it fit snugger. I believe small and mediums are the same shell size. So large/XL should be on the same shell size too.

Good luck on finding a replacement liner though. If you can find one, please post and let me know. :freaky
  18. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the FX-39 helmet. I've read that some goggles don't fit underneath and some do. Which goggles are you guys using that definitely fit with the shield closed? The helmet is size small.
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Any ADV specials?

I want a mirrored one shipped to 97124

20. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the gold mirror visor and it looks very nice...however...are there any special instructions for cleaning it? I have heard that some mirror finishes wipe off if you don't do it the right way.

Dave