Sorry but I have to ask..........

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by craigincali, Dec 13, 2004.

1. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    Who HAS NOT had any problems with the 950? Please dont be offended. I have heard a load of reason why not to buy it, mechanically speaking. I want to know if any of you guys have actually had no or very few problems.

I am soooo close to getting one but man, I cant get over the fear factor of being stranded.

Secondly, If I were to buy a 2004, new from a dealer, what proof would I get, if any, that they have performed ALL the updates to the bike??? What do I ask for as proof? Or do I just trust them....

Craig
  2. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problems with mine. Bought in march of 04, 8000 miles.I think you will have to ask the dealer and trust them? Go buy it you'll never regret it! :thumb
  3. kailwathne

kailwathne Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Craig
    I bought my 03 S from Ohio sight unseen, had it shipped to Santa Barbara, put 150 miles on it in town and then rode solo 2000 miles to Boise and back in two weeks. I have since done another 3000 mile Idaho run with a buddy and I'm up to 8500 miles now. The bike has been a blast since the day I got it and the only problem I have had is a blown out fork seal. I hit a rock real hard so it is not the KTM's fault. I had the local dealer inspect the water pump before my last big ride with no problem found. I hear about all the problems that people are having and I have to beleive there are alot like me that are not having trouble. In my opinion if my bike did crap out it would be part of the deal and the fun factor of these bikes would still make the ownership worth it. Get one and enjoy!:thumb
    Kail
  4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I have never been stranded I have had a few of the problems associated with the early bikes but it has never let me down. The problems I had, waterpump, and head gasket where not problems that the bike quit running almost 15,000 miles so far
  5. Mike in Oregon

Mike in Oregon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have too many miles on my 950-4500 since September 04, but I have had no mechanical failures. I commute to and from work, get weekly groceries, race guys with mullets in camaros off the line-and kick their asses-and take weekend trips w/ bike.

I think The Number One Important Thing Is: Find a dealer you can trust. Ask around your area and keep asking until you find a dealer that is honest. I think it is OK to pay a little more for good service.

I too was/am concerned about long term reliability, but w/ each passing trip etc, I am more confident. Only got a year warranty, but there has been talk of extended warranty being offered; for now, I decided just ride the hell out of it, (maintaining bike of course), and rely on quality dealer/KTM to fix if broken. Yes there has been some problems w/ the bike (not mine, luckily), but it seems KTM is generally stepping up to plate to cover these problems, as they are trying to make expansion into USA market share and need to keep up good image to keep selling all the planned bikes comming down the pipe (superduke/ 990 Adventure, etc).

Good luck, a tough choice, but I could not live w/out the V-twin grunt, sound and character of my 950.

Mike N.
  6. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had no problems withh mine......cos i have only done 600miles(in two weeks!!).
    My dealer is more than helpful when i query anything such as updates on bike parts(the ones for the Euro 05 models are being done on my 04 with me paying just the parts price and no labour).
    Anyway must dash....work awaits!!
  7. blue

blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too had similar concerns with a low volume Euro bike as I plan to do alot of remote/solo rides in Africa. Took the plunge after a 2nd test ride as the smile was to big to ignore.... Have put 3000 trouble free kms on the bike in 3 weeks without issues. Local dealer is crap and have since organized my ducati dealer to maintain the 950 and keep the warranty. Rarely ride the 998s due to 950 hoot factor, say no more. Good after sales serive is a must in my eyes. Buy it.
  8. dedes (sas)

dedes (sas) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8000 trouble free kilometres.
    I'm using it for everyday commuting, and of course for trips.
    But I wouldn't buy a second hand bike (this bike especially). The reason is that you have to be very scholastic with this one (always warm it up before you drive it, check your oil often) sooo i wouldn't trust the previus owner if he was doing this thinks.

So, buy a new one, and ENJOY the ride:thumb
  9. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett I know

Oddometer:
    No problems with mine either. Well, unless you include a puncture, which you could hardly blame KTM for.
  10. Dale950

Dale950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 04 orange , done 6000 klm no problems apart from soft front rim and denting it ( well documented Prob ) apart from that just the huge grin factor !
  11. 4bikes

4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just 3000km, but not missed a beat either.
    On the other hand I am lucky enogh to have the mecanic for Pål Anders Ullevållseter, 2004 Desert Rally World Champion, living in my neigberhood. So when I don't trust my own spannering, I drive over to his place....

Visit www.dakar.no if you like...

Jens
  12. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    2005, 2000 miles, zero problems.
  13. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Early '04 S with 9300 care free, grinning all the way miles :thumb

P.S. I beat the snot out of it off road every chance I get :evil
  14. Will

Will Carpe Moto.

Oddometer:
    8000 miles and rolling (KOW). I leave Saturday for AZ, that'll be 3000 mile trip by the time I get back. Sweet bike, I'm still on the original rims.
  15. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    I purchased my S in Aug. 03 and have 10.000 miles on it without problems. I have had many more issues with a 1150 GS Adv. and similar miles. The GS is almost history. We've taken the 950 all over the SW and head for Pruhdoe this summer. I have an Elefant that used all the usual parts everytime I blinked. No real wear yet.
    Allen.
  16. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me.
    No problems at all and I hammer the bike pretty hard off road. :D
  17. papamike

papamike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased my 950 black may 2004 and later found it was built 1/2004. Have had no problems 2500 miles. Had I read the negative comments I would not have made the purchase.... Glad I had not read the comments. Great bike love it everywhere!
  18. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    4000 miles on my early '04 without any problems. The only thing that has worn out is two sets of tires. :thumb
  19. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    2000+ miles 0 problems. Most fun I've ever had on two wheels :nod
  20. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    2000+ miles 0 problems. Most fun I've ever had on two wheels :nod