Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'd appreciate the same.
    Best
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out for the day so I'll have to upload tonight... No time now.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    If anyone is just now signing up for Dropbox access, you could help a fellow inmate to get some more (much needed) space by using this link to sign up.

http://db.tt/DsAxJAr

By doing so, I'll get an extra 500MB of space for every user who signs up. It in no way affects the amount of space that the new user account receives.

I wanted to make sure this was said up front so there was no hint of deception.

Thanks to anyone who uses the link!
  4. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    In setups there's a pref for what profile is active when it's in each different mount. Check to make sure it didn't swap profiles on you.
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have those exact shortcuts, labeled "2D" and "3D" - but have had no issues with them not working after rebooting.

Can you open the offending {shortcut name}.gsf file (located in your \Garmin\Shortcuts\ directory) with notepad, copy and paste that text here for inspection?

2D:
    PHP:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
    3D:
    PHP:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
  6. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:

I still haven't heard back from them regarding the email I sent two days ago. I did, however, call the toll free line last night to see what they could do for me. I told them I bought the AMPS Rugged Mount on Amazon and they suggested that I contact Amazon to see about an exchange. Kind of annoying, really. As I had to modify the wiring slightly during installation, I am doubtful that the third party vendor who actually shipped me the item would even accept it back as an exchange. Hopefully, the email route will prove more fruitful.
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

AMAZE BALLS!

Most products now are shipped with a paper in the box suggesting you contact the manufacturer directly if anything is missing or damaged, and explicitly request that you DO NOT contact the vendor from which the product was purchased.

Garmin's actions will only build on the perception they care very little about the end user.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Actually, my experience with Garmin Product.Support has been rather good over the years. I have on occasion had to politely request that I speak to a Supervisor. I think this is one of those types of occasion's. Call back and don't even mention Amazon or the third-party supplier. This is a Mount defect and Garmin should address it. If the tech on the call try's to "close out the call" by not sending you a new mount, request to speak with their Supervisor.

Cheers,
  9. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:

Yeah, I think I'll have to do that. The guy put me on hold to grab one and test it. Since his worked, I think he assumed I was full of shit. Annoying, but I didn't have the 30+ additional minutes that it would likely have taken to get it sorted. I'll call back when I have a cold beer and plenty of time.
  10. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi and thanks for your input. Here are the two shortcut files:

Tracks Up = 2D
    PHP:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>710</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
    Automotive Mode = 3D

PHP:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>644</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
    In the meantime I will study yours and see whether I can work anything out

**edit** Hmm, I just looked at yours and except for the icon they are the exact same?

**2nd edit** Well, I just did a master reset and it works fine even after rebooting? Reminds me of old windows 95 software, it cant do anything on the run but needs a reboot before working correctly. I will see how that works out, thanks to those that helped.
    Cheers
    TS
  11. TravellingStrom

Oddometer:

I have not set any mount specific stuff on this one. If it works 10 times then after a reboot it does not work, there is something else at fault
  12. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    They certainly are!

I guess that rules out a corrupted shortcut...

What does happen when you try to use them and they do not function as expected?

** edit **

after the master reset, you have to rebuild all your menus etc for each profile?
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is one I want, but can't figure out how. I can create a shortcut to "where to", but I can't get a shortcut to anything beyond the main menu.
  14. TravellingStrom

Oddometer:
    What happens is when I push the icon it returns to the map screen, but the map does not change orientation, so I know the actual screen press works

Master reset does not seem to lose much. I have to change the basic settings, like screen backlight timeout and a few other things, but once I change the profile to the Automotive one, it seems to all work. But, I do have to add Favourites to the dashboard of the single tap power button
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've added three archives to the Dropbox folder, all prefaced with my username:

[​IMG]

Mike
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Me too, please. :bow
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Edit: I am able to log into the Dropbox account and send invites to those of you who PM me their email addresses. I can't see any problem with that so PM me as necessary.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    1- Create Profiles (Optional)
    2- Create Shortcuts (which could be to Profiles)
    3- Add Shortcuts to the Drawer (the area you don't see when at the Main Menu) or the Main Menu
    4- Add Shortcuts to Favourites (a feature of some Dashboards, and also accessible through Power Button presses if set up that way)

You can add Shortcuts to the Main Menu, Drawer or Favourites.

Does this help?
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Well, technically anyone with the login credentials is the "owner" so you can share it with anyone. The "Read Me" applies.

Shortly, I'll be on the road heading south - way south - and I'll have intermittent Internet access so Emmbeedee fell free to "take over". :deal

Cheers,
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip; I'll mind the Dropbox.