Completely torn now!!! What have I done?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by doc4216, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helibars!
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I have owned both an ST1300 and an FJR1300. Loved them both.

Both are big, heavy, comfortable road burners. My ST put off a lot of heat. Both are great bikes, but if I were doing it again I would prefer something smaller and lighter. I absolutely loved the DL1000 I had, but hated Suzuki.

Another bike you may want to consider is a lightly used NT700V. That was my second choice when I bought the FJR. I think if I had bought that, I would probably still have it.

I don't know if you carry a passenger or not, but my wifed hated the FJR, tolerated the ST, and loves the Nomad I have now.
  3. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might tryto lower the pegs.
    But if the knees are the problem, you might try the V-Strom, Triumph Tiger 1050 or bikes in that class.
  4. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bike is 5 years old with 6600 miles...Assuming that you don't have a stable of other bikes where you rack up another 15,000 miles per year, you're trying to talk yourself into something you WANT, but don't need or use.

If you average 1200 miles per year, just get some Helibars, a better windsheild, maybe a Russell saddle and keep the big wad of cash you would have spent on a new bike for gas and tires! The 800ST is a great bike.

If you want a more comfortable, not expensive, super reliable, fast enough, great handling bike with hundreds of dealers in the US, get a another 650 V-Strom with a taller saddle.
  5. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:

Funny, had you read the other posts you would see that I have put 6k miles on it since I bought it mid-2010. This doesn't include the 14k I put on my DL650 in 15 months, so don't think you know my riding amount by one sentence. It doesn't matter if I WANT ot NEED it, its my money that I'm spending. Most of us don't have a bike because we need them, we just love them.

I was simply looking for advice on other bikes that I haven't had the pleasure of riding yet. That is why I love this forum, good people with great information and great discussions.
  6. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    "You said you know the C14 but not the C10? The 10 is carb'd and not much more expensive than a loaf of bread. It's one you could likely buy and keep the bmw too in all honesty. Some complain about vibes, it's supposed to get valve adjustments more frequently than some, but I've got a feeling alot of people stretch them out as it's not talked about a whole lot. Very old design, also a very big following as it does check alot fo boxes for some. Cheap, powerful, shaft drive, good amount of storage and wind protection. "

You can pick up a C10 fully farkled for less than three grand. Connie owners mostly baby their bikes, although they do pack on the miles (not a bad thing).

The vibes (if you have them) are easily mitigated by several easy adjustments: carb sync, motor mount bolt torque, and balancer shaft adjustment.

After break in, the valves adjustment can be stretched out to eight or ten thousand mile intervals. The first time takes awhile, but it can be done in about two hours once you have the hang of it.

I love mine; it is a highly competent touring and commuting bike. My one gripe is that it gets hot behind the fairing and windshield in summer weather. That's a blessing in the winter though.
  7. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alan, that's great info to know. I'm actually to lean towards keeping my ST and getting a used one similar to that. I just saw one today around town and you're right, it was well taken care of:)
  8. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not try a Triumph Sprint GT? They are dirt cheap now. I have seen some below 10K in MD, PA area new.
  9. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a Triumph Sprint GT? They only shipped them here in the US for 2011 but there are some new and slightly used ones around for 10k or less ! More upright touring ergo's than the ST, comes with great bags and one of the best motors ever ! I have my eye on one..
  10. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Explain to us why it "seems" to you to be a 90% sportsbike?
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

This! ^^

I love v-twin engines! Intoxicating sounds and an engine that feels alive! Never ridden a Norge but I do love the Guzzi engines. :D

And don't worry too much about height. I'm 5'7" and 145#, and have no problems with my R1150GS.
  12. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right? I rode one and it was so boring I just about fell asleep on it. :rofl
  13. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just because I came from a duals port that I feel that way. To me, the angle of my knees makes it much more sporty but that's just my opinion. Not trying to cause an argument, just asking for opinions.

I think though that ai am going to end up keeping the ST and getting a more touring bike around the time I transfer in a couple years:D
  14. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    OK. "sporty seating position". I guess I can see that when compared to a dirt bike.

Coming from the sport bike end of the spectrum, I would never consider the bike a sport bike.

Perspective, I guess.

Maybe the F800 GS would have roomier seating for you?
  15. doc4216

Oddometer:
    I guess that is the perfect way to put it....sporty sating position. Thanks so much!
  16. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a valid point. The stock peg position on the F800ST didn't work for me either. But with these, life is much better.
  17. glynb

glynb Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer:
    Of course I vote for the ST1300 or ST1100, but then again I'm biased.:clap I've ridden both and prefer the 1100 more, because it feels more touring oriented to me. The 1300 feels more sport oriented. Both are as reliable as a motorcycle can be. I've got 50000 miles on my 02 ST1100 and have never had an issue other than routine preventive maintenance. Honda built up both models to compete in the police market so the build quality is unmatched IMHO.
  18. doc4216

Oddometer:
    I definitely want to see an ST1100 in person, see how it feels, and take one for a ride. It is now definitely on my radar! Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice guys!
  19. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    Now we are getting somewhere. First stop? Search online for the website that compares motorcycle ergonomics. Punch in your height, weight & inseam measures. Look up the F800st first & use it as a yardstick.

One of the first things you will notice is that all of the bikes suggested to solve your ills follow the predictable pattern of "bigger is better":snore CB1000F's, Bandit 1250's, triumph Sprint GT's, FJR1300's & Concours 1400's do not offer much if any relief in legroom & knee bend.

Of course if you are insecure in your manhood a big'n'heavy bike fixes that quick smart:lol3

The current trend to "tall-rounders" Like the KTM 990 SMT, Multistrada, Tiger 1050 & 800 roadie et al would be one line of enquiry as they have a riding position more closely related to your tastes, or somthing as simple as a taller seat on your F800st could be another ( In europe a tall seat is available as an option from BMW)
  20. doc4216

Oddometer:

Thanks! Not too woried about the "manhood" considering I'm a girl but I have considered a taller seat plus lowering the pegs for it also. Thank you so much for the web idea and the tips though:-)