Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I have to echo the sentiment

It took a while for it to arrive (I forgot about it) Yes the wait is worth it:deal

My 1150GSA is running better an it has ever been!!! Have not tried anything other than premium fuel (but might due to others)

She has more bark and pulls stronger than ever, Heck I have 3 bars left on the fuel gauge and at 220 miles. Not sure what rabbit got bulled out of the hat but this is worth the wait.

Side note; 150GSA with 85k hard abused miles on the clock
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Hi J.G. from California. I'm sipping coffee just now, getting ready to put in some hours at the bench this morning. And I can tell you it's neither of those things. You didn't fall through the cracks, and I'm still making them. There may even be inventory on the shelf at some point. I for one will celebrate that day. Thanks for you patience. Cheers.

<BR>
  3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha!&#8195;&#8195;&#8195;&#8195;Wait, I mean . . .&#8195;That's terrible.

<BR>
  4. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    If I get in a big hurry for it, I'll just make one myself.

:poser

I told him I'd buy it back in April, we haven't gotten in a hurry about closing the deal yet.

:lol3
  5. TommyHolly

TommyHolly Teaparty member

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks! This was done very professional. I appreciate your work.

By the way, how were you able to run 87 in your BMW? I thought that you always had to use 93 or do the older models take lower octane? From what I understand, lower octane can cause premature detonation (happens to some guys haha) and that will cause severe engine problems.
  6. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On an air cooled motor with the cylinder heads not far from your ears you can hear a lot of the pinging (caused by detonation).

Richer mixtures are a known way to reduce detonation. The ICE Air causes a richer mixture on throttle transitions... which happens to be when detonation is more likely to happen. How convenient!

Higher octane fuel is more resistant to detonation, but it contains less energy. If you can run lower octane without detonation, it will usually return better mileage.

The question here is, if you don't hear any pinging, could there still be some detonation?
  7. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks....
  8. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    I cannot wait!

A friend brags on his Booster Plug. By all accounts this is better.

Just placed my order :clap
  9. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered...tell Santa I'll be waiting.
  10. luckygrownup

luckygrownup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would this device help with low rpm remapping ? My 2013 R1200 GSA seems to run to rich and occasionally stalls out when slowing down to a stop. It also pops when cool. I use 93 Octane fuel and ride at sea level. I want a leaner fuel remap on my GSA. Would this do it ? I also want the flexibly to clear the real map in case I ride in higher elevations. My bike always seemed to ride too rich right from the day I bought it with 13 miles. I have 8000 miles on my bike and commute on it 1/2 the time.
  11. Fuse

Fuse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine yesterday. Will be happy to write a report a soon as I can. It will be installed on a 2012 R1200GS. :D

Thanks to everyone who's part of this.
  12. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    I'm not the expert in this thread so take this with a grain of salt.

I've never seen a stock GS run too rich. There might be something else wrong with the bike. FWIW I've ridden my stock '07 through Leadville, CO with no noticeable degradation in performance. You can get higher than that in North America but it's not easy. If it were ever going to run rich it would have done it there.
  13. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Popping and stalling is due to being too lean. Some cycles are too lean for complete combustion, which leaves unburnt hydrocabons in the exhaust. They accumulate and ignite, causing the pop.

The ICE air does not change the map. It only modifies the input to the ECU to get it to use a slightly richer part of the map on transient throttle. This is covered in the links.

If you are using gas with ethanol, try using E0 gas with no ethanol. Ethanol requires more air, which makes the engine run lean. Not all engines compensate fully for it.
    Also try 91 octane. GSes run on it in states like California which do not have 93 octane. It will have a bit more energy per liter than 93. If you get detonation, then you would need to switch back to 93. But since GSes are tuned for the swill that passes for gasoline here in California, it should not be a problem. But switching to E0 would be more important for addressing your lean running symptoms.

Modern fuel injected engines compensate for altitude. They don't run rich like a carbureted engine.
  14. TommyHolly

Oddometer:
    Can you run 87 Octane in the R1200GS?
  15. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Hey, don't blame me, it's just who I am!

Oddometer:
    So Poolside, how are the "Aiming for ship dates in August" orders coming along? In the last August mail today perhaps? :D
  16. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    depends - what oil are you using?
  17. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    lol
  18. SeaBass

SeaBass Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inquiring minds want to know :ear
  19. TommyHolly

Oddometer:
    I'm asking because the ICE-Air was able to change the mixture enough that the guy with the fuel chart was able to run 87 octane? He never mentioned what year his bike was in the test. I'm not sure if older versions used 87 in the past?
  20. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I posted up some news about that in the Vendor thread.

<BR>

<BR>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.