Using a .IMG file larger then 4gb?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by RoninMoto, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    I have a Garmin Montana. I have been using OSM maps from Openstreetmap my whole RTW trip so far.

I am in France right now and GPS mapless. I downloaded the complete Europe OSM map from Openstreetmap.org and it is 6 gb. (on a 16gig card should work)

It took 12 hours to download last night and I don't really want to do every country individually.

So.
    1. Fat32 has a 4gb limit to file size. No go.
    2. I tried NTFS and loaded the .img in the Garmin folder and the GPS did not recognize it.
    3. I am about to try exFat but I don't know if that will work with the garmin.

4. Is there a way to split up a img into multiple files?

Thanks.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you downloaded the MapSource or the Mac OSM map then you could install it into MapSource or BaseCamp and use MapInstall to select the countries you need/want for install to the Montana. If you have only downloaded the IMG file from OSM then you are stuck with another download. The Montana will only read up to 4GB of Map data in a single file and your µSD Card must be formatted FAT32.

Cheers,
  3. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.
  4. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it in a nut shell.

Why don't you want to download individual maps from OSM?

Multiple OSM maps are easy to manage on the Montana, you can change the *img file names to something more descriptive, like 'France.img'. Older generation units like the 60/76 series, you can't do this. On your Montana's SD card, you can create a directory called 'My OSM Maps' and place them there. When you need one, just drag and drop it into the 'Garmin' directory on the SD card.

On my 62s, when multiple ".img" files are installed, it is difficult to differentiate them in the on-device menu and in Basecamp when they all have the default "OSM generic routable" name set in the ".img" file header, but it is relatively simple to change the name. Every country has a three letter International Olympic Committee, IOC, code. Using the following instructions replace 'OSM' with that code.

"LAO generic routable"
    "KAZ generic routable"
    "KGZ generic routable"

Open the ".img" file in an editor that can handle binary data. I use TextPad

1. Make the change.
    2. Save the edited ".img" file.
    Hope that all made sense!
    daryl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]