the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    TH: That's a nice looking boot; something between my Crossfires (too much boot for my current riding) and my Joe Rockets (not really enough boot for my current riding). The Crossfires fit me llike gloves and I like the protection they provide. I'll be trying on a pair of those Gaerne's as soon as I find them (I don't buy footwear without trying them on). :beer
  2. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    more power to you. as i said, i need guys like you, who ewentually wanna sell your stuff! :1drink

but a lot of folks - like myself - do know how to research and negotiate. we yust don't wanna take the depreciation on buying something new. we're certainly not gonna pay more for something used than new, tho. :lol3 which is why i haven't bought new in almost 40 years of buying wehicles. my first bike - a used 1973 honda cb450 - i bought for $525, as it was only running on one cylinder. $30 (at the dealer) to replace points, and it was good as new. i put ~10k on it and sold it for $575 3 years later. this is typical of the deals i make on cars & bikes. tho i don't always come out ahead financially, i am not looking to do that, i yust want a nice ride at a nice price, and it usually works out well. 3.5 years ago, i bought a mint gen-1 scion xb w/58k on it for $8k from a dealer. now, w/105k on it, i could sell it for about what i paid for it. maintenance has been brake pads, tires, and oil changes. i have no intention of selling it any time soon, tho - it is a great ride. economical, handles great, roomy, more fun to drive than riding a harley! :lol3 re: my dr650, it's a 2000 model, was a little rough when i got it, but it only had 8k on it, and the engine was in great shape. no way i could get this bike equipped like this, the way i want it, for $4k, w/o researching and negotiating. and i there's nothing i could buy new for $4k that i would actually want. as i already had two bikes, a 3rd was a luxury, and i busted my original budget by $1k as it is...

ymmv,

doug s.
  3. zdiver1

zdiver1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :raabia
    This is like a heart transplant you heart was bad and the donner was pumping hard you was getting 29 mpg and mine was getting 50mpg and I sent it as I pulled it off, I touched no screws so I am looking forward to your mpg report!
  4. zdiver1

zdiver1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s cool My son is 26 and married with two kids him and his wife both work my son has a 60% disability (2 IED)from his Army service in Iraq (Infantry 10th Mountain FT Drum NY) and could not swing a bike so I gave him my 2009 XT-250 and when we can meet up and head out to the dirt and put lead (shooting) in the desert it is a good day!
  5. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's great that you can do that for your son. my son recently turned 16; i thought it was cool that he wanted a gen-1 xb like mine; he liked mine enough that it was one of his 2-3 top choices. it ended up winning out cuz of fuel efficiency; his other choices got ~5-7mpg less. we ended up finding one a bit rougher than mine, but still decent; this one i really negotiated well for - i ended up getting it fr <$4k. :D and my son really likes it. and, he insisted on getting a manual transmission! :clap now my daughter, who got her first car from me 4 years ago, is disappointed that i didn't insist she get a stick shift. i told her it was her choice, she knew i wanted her to drive a manual transmission. well, i may have to teach her on the dr650 this summer - now she wants a bike. :lol3

doug s.
  6. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also tried the http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-Midland-Boots_p_351.html Midlands. More protection than the G - ADV but they pinched a bit in the ankle - when hiking - good for riding. Brian at AtomicMoto is a vendor on ADV and very easy to deal with. He's kinda like the Procycle of gear. I actually tried 4 different boots and he had no issue with it at all and was actually interested in making sure I got the right boot for my mission. I had to pay return shipping if I sent 'em back but he spent time on the phone with me figuring things out, just like Jeff & Carl at PC.

Great csutomer service and smokin' deals on clearance items so I keep checking the site regularly. I got a few jackets and helmets from him for blowout deals. I don't care if it's last years model. Just not fashion concious I guess. :D

zdiver - Appreciate your son's service. 7 combat tours 'tween my son & son-in-law. I understand the family sacrifice. Kids - my son was on the initial push in from Kuwait when we kicked off the ground war. From his gunner postition atop a HumV, he called me on his cell phone. "It's so flat, I can see for miles up here" I reminded him that would in turn mean they could see his little punkin' head and to keep it down. Glad you get to ride with your son. I get out on a street ride with mine periodically as he's a Harley guy.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :devildog
    Free motorcycles and bullets? :clap :gun1 :2guns
  8. zdiver1

zdiver1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :devildog "keep his little punkin' head down" :rofl

Thanks for the follow-up information. I have no problem paying for return shipping.

"not fashion concious I guess" Some of my buddies are obsessive about clean bikes. I make some of them absolutey knutz when I show up on the DR. It's a fookin' dirt bike; not a Mercedes. And if I had one of those.......................it would be dirty too. I have better things to do...............like typing here on the internet. :D I did an oil change tonight though. :deal
    zdiver - "Better luck next time fuckers. We're coming 4 you! 3rd platoon - B Co" :shoot :gun2
  10. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    Question for Pro cycle (or anyone else in-the-know).

Do the Wolfman Expedition saddle bags come with the new style racks? If so, are they compatible with the e-bay BBQ rack?

BTW, I am really happy with the order I placed last week. Among many other things, I got a Pro cycle Jet Kit and installed it today. Simple installation and much improved throttle response, cool, (but not obnoxious) intake sound and much improved power. Very nice upgrade!
  11. Mr. Thumpy

Mr. Thumpy Seasoned not old.

Oddometer:
    My helmet goes off to each and everyone of you that has served or has family that has served for this great this country! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Garry--- Thanks very much for asking. My Seat Concepts kit arrived Fedex late yesterday..... we've got family doings for Easter so it'll be a day or two before I can get it together. Can't wait, it's quality looking stuff.

Sarah
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have my carb apart for a (needed) cleaning. I see two o-rings of different sizes on the orange plastic float assembly (one above the float valve and one near the pilot jet tube). Would anyone happen to know the sizes of those two o-rings? I have a local hardware store with a great selection of metric o-rings and, hopefully, can source them there.

TIA, Dave.
  14. GarryC

GarryC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you saw my post about this a few days ago (see post #62620). Short story is that that the DR650 racks are now the Gen 2 style and I was able to install the Gen 2 racks with a BBQ rack on my bike. There are different spacer kits for mating the Gen 2 racks with various tail racks.
  15. Pauliic

Pauliic LV

Oddometer:
    almost finished :clap

[​IMG]
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new boots are Gaerne Balance Oiled. I have wide feet and big calves. The boots were comfortable right out of the box.

[​IMG]
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Yup, the Crossfires fit my 21" calves, knee pads, and socks no problem. One of the few boots that has the extra calf adjustment. :clap
  18. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! I looked at my spark plugs today and they were black. So going by this guide it says to run it at full throttle and check to see if they're black or white or tan as a first step to determining jetting needs. Now considering that my plugs are already black, will that mean that if it's too lean at full throttle they won't be white? Do I need to clean the plugs first before I test for lean/rich mixture?

Thanks!
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How old is your bike and how many miles? What's your gas mileage, has it gotten worse? If you've had the bike for a while the jetting may be fine. The two o-rings in the carb may be failing causing a rich mixture at all throttle settings. We spend most of our time on the needle circuit, so this would be the one start with. Since the USA bikes don't have an adjustable needle, you can't drop the needle one clip. This means that I'd check the needle for wear (smaller diameter would flow more gas) and check the needle jet for 'ovaling', another wear point on some bikes (larger hole, more fuel).
  20. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Plugs should be a grey color, reminds me of graphite.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk