2013 Betas

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Gordy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1. Well said Gordy. I agree 100%.
  2. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    2 things Gordy, :freaky

1. mine is/was an opinion, I would love to find out which of us is right, but doubt that we'd ever succeed.

2. you cannot get a Diesel in F150, so your whole argument, is all wet! :rofl (LOL/JK)

But yeah I see all of your points, agree with most of them, but even many no options projects I have been on, suck the life out of you implementing, and into production, let alone options...

Oh, and on your side... Kenworth takes orders this way, or was it freightliner? but that is NOT the definition of assembly line... Assembly lines produce many dang near exactly the same things, efficiently. every option costs money to completely get it setup so it can be done efficiently and quickly, I know dang well that is true. I watched the specail about that on TV, they spent millions to set up everything it takes to do "made to order" at the factory. Plus if it went like any other "project" they probably spent months ironing that whole process out, and spending money...

Beta have that kind of money, for trials?

Everything you said, I cannot argue with, as to me it seems simple too, give the guy that part instead of the stock one... but after building RV's on assembly line, anything except "stock" motorhomes took weeks longer to get done, if nothing but parts screw ups, and even occasionally worker screw ups. One of my best freinds builds lightbulbs, he'll tell you it is enough work to get 30 people to do things to ONE "spec" and when you change something everything goes {insert the sound of glass hitting the floor}.

you keep assembly lines simple, get lots of bikes/ trucks/ RV's and lightbulbs built per hour that way, which probably does best to keep costs down, and the plant operating efficiently.

Dealers/importers need to do this work as well, this way when you have a problem, they aren't like me, guessing at the problem and solutions... Hehehehe.
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

This just gives me something to do while waiting for the bike.:lurk Once it gets here, all opinions and pseudo-belly-aching will stop and will be replaced by some spiffy pics followed by a ride report. :bubba
  4. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it would make more sense for them to start with a factory 300 whenever the Mg cases are spec'd. Has the Ti pipe already as well.

Of course, were all wrong about the solution to this efficiency issue. If there's one thing I've learned about the trials mfg's is that logic - need not apply....:1drink
  5. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Hey, no problem. I like discussing this with you, and not offended at all, I call it online learning, never know what I'll pickup, :lol3

Hope ya get it soon.

Did that gasser get sold?
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Nope, I am not trying very hard since I am still riding it. I actually worked on the forks last night and did some real good. They are pretty sweet now.

When I get the new bike, I'l put new plastic on it, take all of the guards off, clean it up, new decals and re-list it. It really is a great bike. I wish I could afford to keep it.
  7. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Grease the fork seals, and every bearing, you know wheel, swingarm, headstock do beta's have dogbones? I mean, that is if they dont do that for you (whomever you buy it from).

wiggling some "Seal Grease" into the fork seals & caps, made such a difference on the 12 raga we just got. YMMV, I guess.
  8. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    KTM is the obvious assembly line system to wonder about, since they have so many models and such constant evolution for so few units.

Compare that to Suzuki, who has made one gasket change to the DR650 in twenty years, or whatever!

I think maybe the trials mfrs are very good at doing things the old way, with careful attention by a few technicians to produce a few units. Amazing that they exist at all, never mind six (?) current mfrs producing a half-dozen models each.

That said, I wonder if American Beta is trying a new scheme, which if it sells will shortly be of interest to the factory. Farkles can have a better margin, if you can sell most of the lot...

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/10/a-third-industrial-revolution.html
  9. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    I just hope the dealer tech doesn't fuck up the magnesium riser install. :rofl
  10. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Can you believe it? They don't offer risers as an option. That sucks!!! :baldy
  11. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    Aerotstich. Touratech. Pullupachair-- those guys can make anything.
  12. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Theyre probably waiting extended tiedown straps to sell with the Bar Riser kit...
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    My bike is being built/modded and I may have it by this weekend! :clap
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Small delay. It wouldn't fit in the crate with the bar risers. They are being sent next day and I have to put them on myself. I can't wait to see what comfortable riding is all about! :bubba
  15. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    The NMTA thread says there is a practice at SY this weekend so you better get working! :D
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I have my super trick, reliable (and for sale) GasGas if it doesn't make it.

I paid for the Beta today and almost had a stroke. :twitch

I remember when dirt bikes sold for less than a grand. When they went to $1,700 I thought the sport was dead. No one would possibly pay that for a bike to take out and thrash!

Shows what I know. :dunno
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I haven't read all of the posts, but did you order a bunch of custom options with the bike?
  18. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's a BYOB with upgraded suspension, clutch and mag cases. Those mag cases should be good for -1 or 2 points per event! :rofl
  19. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Fixt :deal
  20. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Finally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TRP Shock is amazing. The rear just works so well! I haven't adjusted anything on the shock or fork yet and the bike rides really plush. Almost too plush!

[​IMG]

The turning radius is insane. :huh

The whole bike "feels" larger than the GasGas. I weighed them both on an old bathroom scale and the two bikes are identical in weight.

It's going to take some riding to get used to but so far, I am pretty stoked. :D