2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks Terry. Not WOT, mostly mid range improvements. Now I need to decide between this or the ktm 1190 :D
  2. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Can't go wrong with either, both good machines. I am sure the 1190 has all the power ya need and then some.

Be well.

Terry
  3. fahrtleiter

fahrtleiter Volunteer Staph

Oddometer:
  4. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R1200 bikes have to O2 sensors, other supported bikes only have one.
    With two sensors you basically need two of the "single O2" kits.
    The team behind this product is actually giving us R1200 owners a handsome discount on the kit we need.

Mikko
  5. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, Exactly right.

You R1200 owners have the BMSK with two O2 sensors, a really great ECU system. From Terry's data with dual LC-1s the BMSK does a tremendous job of managing fueling.
  6. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 2 units needed for the R1200 bikes is the reason for the big difference between the R1200 models and the others. The other differences between single O2 sensor models can be attributed to the cost of the specific OEM connectors for each version.
    Mike
  7. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So do we still need the boosterplug if going the AF-XIED route on a '12 1200?

Thanks

K
  8. Mike Figielski

Oddometer:
    No, it is not needed. If you have one already they can both be installed but as Roger has shown the air temp foolers eventually get adapted out by the BMSK while the AF-XiED does not. Hope this helps. Happy New Year.
    Mike
  9. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I don't have one.

This will be my next big ticket item!

Have a good New Year.

Thanks Roger for your stellar effort !!
  10. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    Roger -

Many thanks to you for sharing the process. I read the thread today and my head exploded - I really learned a lot!

Happy new year! I'm looking forward to riding it out a little faster with my newly ordered hardware.
  11. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're going to enjoy it a lot. These boxers really respond nicely to 4-6% more fuel.

My plan this week is to add some more head exploding stuff to this thread, stay tuned. ;)
  12. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been a lot of threads/discussions about Mixture Adaption on the R1100, R1150, R1200 and F800. The range of views about Mixture Adaptation, whether it exists, and its affect on Open Loop fueling, is important when considering fueling improvement products. A quick summary is that Mixture Adaptation is real and that it affects ALL fueling, especially Open Loop.

Because BMW has kept it secret there are many incomplete Motronic/BMSK operating models on the internet, in forums suggesting that Mixture Adaptation is somewhere between: 1) only for Closed Loop, 2) Only at very small throttle angles, 3) only when the throttle is rock steady, or 5) (in one case) a non-existent Urban Legend, I decided to measure the effect of adaptation and show the results. While I was in the middle of the data collection phase, I came across some original Bosch documentation which makes clear the role of Mixture Adaptation in Bosch ECUs.

The bottom line based on the measurements and documents looks like this:
    1) Mixture Adaptation is real, it covers all areas of fueling and is necessary for the proper operation of our style of ECUs (Alpha-N, which uses throttle angle as a proxy for air mass/flow). The Alpha-N system is used by the Motronic MA 2.2 and 2.4, as well as all models of the BMSK.

2) The primary Mixture Adaptation Range, as measured in my tests, is +/-20% on the 2004 R1150, which I will show in a coming post. This is a large range and means that any sensor error, sensor modification, ethanol mix change, fuel pressure modification, or intake/exhaust modification can will be learned by the ECU and corrected (Bosch calls these ECUs self-learning). In other words the Open and Closed Loop fueling will revert to BMW's design as long as a stock Lambda (O2, Oxygen) sensor is installed and connected.

3) It appears that Bosch stores a Lambda Correction Factor for every cell covered by Closed Loop and that it creates three Mixture Adaptation values from this matrix of data. Two of the Mixture Adaptations affect short injection times and small TPS angles, and the other Mixture Adaptation affects all areas of the Open Loop fuel map and is intended to correct sensor errors, fuel ethanol content and fuel pressure, to name a few.

4) There are two ways to make permanent changes to fueling: 1) The best is to give the ECU a new reference (LC-1/2 or AF-XIED for BMW) so that the BMSK or Motronic can use Mixture Adaptation to richen fueling automatically, or 2) Disconnect the O2 sensor, with the many perils of that approach--in particular Limp Home mode.

That's the summary. In the next post I'm going to quote Bosch, going all the way back to the early Motronic systems, and then after that post some measurements that clearly show the effect of Mixture Adaptation.

As a preview to the measurements that will be published, in one of the tests Open Loop AFR was enriched to 12.1:1 using a fuel pressure increase and a Booster Plug. In about half an hour of riding Closed Loop at 13.8:1, the Open Loop mixture had adapted from 12.1:1, all the way to 13.7:1. Mixture adaptation made a 15% correction to the Open Loop fueling.

Next Up, Bosch's description of the Motronic fueling strategy.
    Itsacon likes this.
  13. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although Bosch introduced the Motronic as an integrated fueling and ignition control computer, what follows are their specific comments on fueling, related to Mixture Adaptation. It should be clear from the following excerpts that Mixture Adaptation is a key, integral part of the Motronic operation. Of particular note for me was that Bosch has been using Mixture Adaptation (or you might call it self-learning) since the mid-1980s, nearly a decade before the first Oilheads.
    RB

Excerpts from Bosch Mono-Jetronic - Motronic Documentation 1985-1998
    The Motronic system is based on indirect measurement of air mass, called an Alpha/n ECU system. Alpha represents the throttle angle and "n" is the engine RPM. This system of indirect measurement of air mass operates with Adaptive Mixture control and super-imposed Lambda Closed Loop control to accurately maintain a constant mixture, without any need for direct measurement of air mass.

The microprocessor is the heart of the Motronic. It is connected by address and data busses to EPROM (which contains program instructions and data tables such as the fuel map) and to RAM which serves to store the Mixture Adaptation values (adaptation: adapting to changing conditions through self-learning).

If the Motronic sees deviations from Lambda=1 in the signals from the oxygen sensor, and as a result is forced to correct the basic injection pulse for an extended duration of time, it generates mixture correction values and stores them in an internal adaptation process. From then on these values are effective for the complete fuel map and are continually updated. This adaptation process ensures consistent compensation for individual tolerances and for permanent changes in the response characteristics of engine and injection components.

The mixture adaptation program is designed to compensate for the effects of production tolerances and wear on engine and injection-system components, including sensors. The mixture adaptation system must compensate for three variables: 1) Influences due to air pressure or temperature, fuel stoichiometry (ethanol content), injector flow rate and system fuel pressure. 2) Influences related to vacuum leakage in the intake tract. 3) Influences due to variation in injector turn-on delay. These three factors are applied to three map areas. Factor #1 is applied (by multiplication) to the entire fuel map. Factor #2 is applied additively in the vicinity of idle. Factor #3 is applied additively in fuel map areas of short injection pulses.

For mixture adaptation, lambda control factors are evaluated using a weighting factor before being added to the adaptation variables.

Limp Home: All sensor signals are continuously monitored for plausibility. If a sensor signal deviates from its defined plausible range, it means that the sensor or its connector is defective. In that case the sensor signal is replaced with a substitute signal that may effect drivability. For example a non plausible air temperature sensor is replaced by the value 20 degrees C. A fault in the lambda sensor results in a shutdown of the complete closed loop adaptive system but will continue to use any past mixture adaptation values if any have been stored. (Editor's note: a shift in the lambda sensor does not cause a fault, but disconnecting the sensor does.)

Next posts: Actual measurements of mixture adaptation on a 2004 R1150.
    darthslayer likes this.
  14. durobra

durobra Nudista

Oddometer:
    2 great posts Roger, thanks.

Keep up the good work

Duncan
  15. Mike Figielski

Oddometer:
    Really excellent info and post Roger. Thanks so much for sharing this info. This really should put to rest all of the back and forth over whether the BMW ECUs do adapt out the effects of simple air temp spoofers or not. I say it "should" but somehow I doubt it will, even in the face of proof like you are posting here. At least those with rational minds will have all of the info upon which to base their decisions.
    Mike
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...

So, am I to now understand that I wasted my money on the ICE thingy?

I know that my seat of the pants dyno detected a definite improvement when I installed it. But, as we all know, the SotP dyno is self adaptive too which makes it difficult to quantify the longer term effects over time. :cry
  17. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Look on the bright side Randy, at least it worked initially for your bike, for some of us it did nothing at all, even short term

I suppose you could always pull the fuse for the motronic every week or so and try and keep the air temp spoof from being adapted out.

One thing Roger I am not clear on, you said ( somewhere, maybe in the parrallel twins forum) that by changing the target lambda that would correlate into open loop enrichment somehow too ( via adaptation)?

could you explain that better to me? in the above stuff quoted from bosch, would that be like a #1 scenario multiplier?

I found where you mentioned this and made me wonder here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22573499&postcount=272
  18. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    MOF: I'm working on some charts but in the meantime I highlighted my post with the Bosch info. See if that answers your question.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, thanks, and yes i saw that, but entire fuel map does that imply all of the time ( open and closed loop?)

I guess the next logical question is how long are these adaptation periods, how many cycles do they need to set?

No hurry, im just curious, and of course I appreciate the sharing of what you have found, I am hopeful it gets us all closer to what we want, instead of dancing around the bike while chanting and burning candles.
  20. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because the mixture adaptations are applied the fueling calculation, and the fueling calculation is made 100% of the time even during closed loop, applied to the whole map means all of the time. You'll notice in the Bosch text they are even applied when the ECU deems the O2 sensor to be unreliable.

The adaptations can be incremented every 0.1 to 1 sec, modified by a weighting factor related to the size of the adjustment.