Anyone riding through Mexico soon?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by iJamesLopez, Sep 28, 2012.

1. iJamesLopez

iJamesLopez n00b

Oddometer:
    I am new to ADVrider so if my answer is in a column or section I missed I appologize.

I currently live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I am selling my house, truck, and all belongings to ride my motorcycle through Central and South America to live in Agentina. I am stopping off in Belize and Nicaragua to spend a year split between the two working with a surgical relief team and building an orphanage.

I am fine riding solo, but would prefer to ride with a small group (corrupt cops mess more with a single rider than a group of them)

Any advice or guidance is greatly appretiated.
    Thanks
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    What causes you to believe this?
  3. Nookie

Nookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most of the cops I've run into have never been a problem. I gave up a 20 dollor bill one time but I was speeding. I travel mostly solo or with folks either tagging along with me or me with them from time to time. Usually a lot of smiling and my broke ass spanish loosens the cops up, and all and all they have been more helpful than harmful.
  4. Bigred09

Bigred09 Bikes,beer,tools

Oddometer:
    Wish I was in BAJA,currently in Orange County
    I agree,I'd like to make a small trip down there.But the fear of the cops does shake me down.Ima have to look into it.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are eliminating one of the BEST! sources of help & information out there when you figure the cops are not your friend & mostly corrupt. Start over on that aspect of your attitude & you'll have a better trip. Your a "helping" sort , so give em a break!
  6. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Do some real research. There's plenty of great info on this site from people who have been there. It might alleviate some of your fears. There's danger everywhere, but no need to be paranoid, just use common sense. I don't feel all that safe walking around certain parts of many US cities at night - so I don't do it, but that doesn't stop me from going to those cities.
  7. rugger

rugger 1 day at a time!!!

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving? I'm planning a trip starting mid nov 2012
  8. Section8

Section8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving Alberta on November 13th and will be crossing into Mexico on November 20th.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are spot-on about your fear of corrupt cops.:deal

They will pull you over at every chance and administer a noogie.

You will find this very annoying if not painful and you will pay anything to them to avoid it.
  10. nicholasdeeg

nicholasdeeg n00b

Oddometer:
    I am leaving NEW YORK in the beginning of January and traveling to CHILE. I have about a 20 days ride planed from day one until i get to BELIZE. I would say a little over 2 weeks to travel through MEXICO.
    If you want to ride together, fine with me. I'm trying to recruit some other riders as well for any part of the trip.
    let me know.
  11. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:ear
  12. chilango13

chilango13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the two of you who area afraid...don't go!!! Stay home and let us enjoy the Trips into Mexico. All you have to do is read the Ride Reports and fantacize about riding in such a beautiful place... :wink:
  13. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been debating a trip of this sort off and on for a couple years. Being a former employee of US Customs and living next door to Juarez, it has been difficult to get past the stuff I hear about the drug war and the violence in Mexico. However, I remember when German citizens were told not to visit Miami and South Florida back in the early 1990's because of the violence.

So, I am planning on crossing the border about November 18 and heading to Copper Canyon and then on to Belize for a week of laying on the beach. I am also thinking about spanish school in Antigua for a couple weeks. I figure about 300 miles per day would be pretty easy taking my time toward Belize. I am on a GSA.

I would plan on crossing in El Paso but could meet you somewhere in Mexico if you are interested. My spanish is limited but I have done numerous trips to Copper Canyon and have never had a problem. My email is ktmrider2@live.com and my telephone is 915 588 5054.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Mexico 300k per day IS NOT "taking your time!"
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are we talking about 300 miles a day or 300 kilometers. Two very different measurements.
  16. KingsXXX

KingsXXX n00b

Oddometer:
    So far 3 months riding in Mexico from Zacatecas down to the coast and up to San Cristobal -
    alas no noogies, and cops are a great source of info, moto cops even have guided me to cheap hotels
    When pulled over i always start off with a question about anything, where to stay, I'm lost ..soccer..
    whatever. This is AFTER I've turned bike off, dismounted, taken helmet off, offered them a ciggy...
    if yer in a hurry or looked afraid...
    anhow how can I hurry anywhere on a Honda 125 and I'm 200 lbs :rofl