ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Thanks. New piston rings and valve seals on order.

Any one know why exhaust seals are different than intake.

Thanks.
  2. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exhaust valves tend to run significantly hotter from the constant blast of hot exhaust. Intakes get a cooling charge every cycle.
    Glad you are going to replace the rings - let us know if she is back to her old self.:D
  3. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With any great ride there are always new tips and tricks to be learned. Due to massive Tecate Light consumptions by the group, I was forced to go to the liquor store and pick up another 18 pack. This is what I learned: If you are using a wolfman tail bag, remove the tail bag and open the cinch straps all the way out, it will fit a 18 pack of beer perfectly and tight enough to do wheelies down dirt roads. And know you know:freaky
    [​IMG]
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    sin clamato? que lastima guey
  5. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was the only day, of 7 that did not include Michelada's for half the group. at one point I was making pitchers of Michelada mix in Catavina at the bar.
  6. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:

English please? I know it has something to do with drinking.....
  7. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google translate...
  8. KTM450SX

KTM450SX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my new 5.3 gallon tank this week.

I also ordered fuel pump and other various parts because I do not plan to run the 5.3 all the time. I will run stock 90% of the time for trail riding and racing. I wanted to be able to just pull tanks and swap without having to remove anything else.

I got the parts from munn http://142.0.244.174/munnracing/cat...=089551N&chassis_number=F8575N9&model=500 EXC

I ended up buying way more parts than I needed because the acerebis tank came with some of it anyway.

Parts List:
    78107088000 - Fuel Pump
    78107116100 - Pre Formed fuel hose
    5850701050030 - Quick connector deal"CLUTCH CPC "
    78107089000 - Gasket Kit You actually only need the 3 round gaskets out of here.. the big one comes on the fuel pump anyway. Not sure what size they are to score a better deal.

Hose clamps, screws, and the rest comes with the acerebis.

Couple pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recognize that the larger tanks serve their primary goal of extending range but most of them, particularly those that do not integrate the stock shields or shrouds, are just plain ugly. I would rather carry gas on a rear mounted rack or in saddle bags. 99% of my rides are good with the stock fuel capacity. Moving to a 3.1 gallon tank would eliminate the need to carry gas in all but one or two rides a year. Vanity - form over function. What is the largest tank out there that utilizes the stock shrouds?
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I think it's a 3.1. Being from Salt Lake I'm surprised you can get away with that kind of range. Utah is the one place we ride that requires careful range consideration. Most of it I can do on 3.1 but that's cutting it too close for prudent planning. Nothing like getting 120mi down a trail and finding out it's impassable.
  11. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Been doing graphics on plastic tanks for years. The key is perf vinyl. XR's Only perfected this in the 90's. Any good sign shop can print on 6 mil vinyl with another 4 mil clear. I'm waiting for the new vinyl to show up then I'll post. They last 4-6 months if you loosen the cap when storing to allow out gassing.

The main reason I install graphics kits is to cover the fugly scratches I tend to create when sliding down the trail in the horizontal position.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I've used perforated also, they last longer but eventually start peeling off too. The problem is they will bubble a little where there's not a perforation and dust gets under the sticker, at that point it's only a matter of time. The internal sealant might fix the issue but I'm reluctant to add anything to the inside of the tank on a FI bike. 6 mos is about all I've gotten out of a set also.
  13. KTM450SX

Oddometer:
    Yea this.. I need 150+ mile range around here. sometimes 200+. I have gone 240 before I found gas on my 950 SE before ( and that was in Utah )

yes the tank is ugly. that's why I bought spare pump and lines so i can put the stocker back on by doing nothing but unhooking the quick disconnect fuel line. I'll only use the big tank for trips like this weekend were i will be camping off the bike. Its much better than wasting space in my Giant loop with MSR fuel bottles or some other hokey way of carrying gas.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%, I hate carrying fuel on top of the rest of my gear, tried 2 MSR bottles on my 525 and it was a joke, 25 extra miles. If I can swing it eventually I'll have an extra pump in a 4.1 for longer rides, I try to plan for 150mi max between stops, I'm ok with a extra 50 mi of reserve.
  15. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was looking for a bigger tank now I'd go for the 5.3. You don't have to fill it to the top every ride, just fill it according to the ride your doing at the time. As for looks...you can't see it when your on it anyway and it isn't a fashion show, but to each his own.
    There is very little difference in feel (after a ride or two) between stock and the acerbis tanks imo; just a little foreign at first.
    Another plus is the one piece design acts as radiator guards side to side although you may still want better front protection.
  16. KTM450SX

Oddometer:
    I'm a little worried about my horn here with the big tank its kinda exposed. But i dont really care if it gets busted off lol.

[​IMG]
  17. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I fabbed up a small bracket and moved the horn behind the mask. Bottom right side if you re sitting on the bike.

As for tanks what would the guess be for range of the 3.1 ? Just upgraded and yet to even fill it to max coposity. The test comes in Tellico in 2 weeks.
  18. KTM450SX

Oddometer:
    I dont know i got 78 miles on the stock 2.25 gallon tank before the fuel light came on..not sure how much is left at that point. That was mostly 2 track roads and a little bit of trail. I'm sure its a lot less on actual trail riding.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I got right at 48mpg last DS ride. I was expecting 50mpg, that's still pretty normal for us due to the alt. We're up between 6K' & 11K' (I'd rather have the 20% hp back though) I run 14/48 when we ride DS.
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I zip tied my horn to the top of the rad. So far so good after 1000 miles.