one piece commute suit. choices?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Mar 16, 2013.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    If does. It looked to me like he was putting it on and taking it off with his boots on. I wasn't wearing my boots when I tried a regular RC but it didn't seem likely to me it would go on over them.

Can you get your one-piece textile suit on over your boots? If so curious I'm curious what suit and boots.
  2. huy

huy n00b

Oddometer:
    At first I didn't think I could but it's pretty easy. A little easier taking the suit off but not difficult at all to put the suit on with boots.

I have a 1 piece Roadcrafter in 38L and size 10 boots.
  3. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I've spent a bunch of time and effort mulling over a similar question myself. I wanted a reasonably water resistant commuter suit that was easy to get in and out of. I knew Aerostich and the RC name; many family and friends have had the suits and raved about them. I always thought the price was way too high to even think about. But I've become tired of buying new crap gear every few years. Ultimately it hit me: If I had bought an RC 5-10 years ago, I'd have done it once and been done.

I considered the RC light.

Ultimately, three things turned me off:
    Sacrificing protection for a lighter suit seemed like too much of a sacrifice. I felt that if I was going to spend this kind of money, I might as well have the best protection they offer.
    The RC light is not US made.
    By the time you add pads (the RC light does not include them), you are close to a RC suit price.

This led me to believe the light was not for me. A onsey RC it is then, right?

Then I realized I wasn't shaped like the Aerostich test model. Also I decided that I wanted to mix and match colors. Finally, I heard rumors that the 2-piece was somewhat better at keeping the rain out than the 1-piece.

Ultimately I ordered a 2-piece. I am still waiting for it. They sent me a suit we knew wouldn't fit for sizing comparison. I wound up taking the same size and style pants, but having them shortened. Then ordered a different jacket. I am expecting it any day.

I have a co-worker with a 1-piece. He's had it forever and can put it on/off very quickly. I brought the 2-piece in to show him. He couldn't get the thing on very quickly either. The 2 zippers definitely slow you down. But it is still light years better than traditional pants with zippers on the outside. The big zipper down the middle and the ability to step out of the left leg is pretty nice. Once I get it broke in I imagine I'll be able to get from commuter mode to work mode pretty quick. If I never ever unzip the two halves.. so be it.

Edit: Another option is the new RC 'City' suit. It solves several of my complaints with the RC light. Namely it is made in the US and can be mixed and matched for better fit and color choices. It still uses the lighter fabric, but maybe one can live with a suit with 1 strike against it.
  4. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I commute almost every day wearing a suit and tie, rain or shine but not so much when there is snow on the road. My commute is about 60 km each way if I go direct, although heading home often takes me a greater distance than heading to work. I drove my car to work three times last year from March 12 until sometime in November. I don't see how I could do it so easily if I didn't have the Roadcrafter.

I have a two piece Roadcrafter and can say that it does go on in about 20 seconds. I don't have issues with bunching, there is no issue with heated gear wiring and it has proven to be waterproof for me in most cases. (I sometimes get water in the neck if I am not careful how I do up the neck part.) my temperature range has been as low as -16c, single digit f with fleece on (no heated gear at that time.) I have worn it in very hot wether but would take the suit and tie off and put in the top case if the temps are above the 70's.

..Tom
  5. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can put on a 1pc Stich with ski boots on, no problem. One of the joys of their design. Don't know about other designs.
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the great features of the Roadcrafter (One or Two piece) is that you can (and should!) put the suit on after your boots are on and take it off before you take off your boots. It's easy and avoids wet and/or muddy feet from water dripping off the suit.

..Tom
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can use my 1-pc RC yearround for my short 25 minute commute. Takes less than a minute to put on or take off. I need to treat mine at least once a year for water repellency. I have owned mine since 1991. They are bulky to stow when you are off the bike. I usually just run a locking cable through the sleeve and leave it on the seat. Never regretted shelling out the $$ for the suit.
    Get over to the city to check them out, as someone mentioned in an earlier post. :1drink
  8. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    More of the same...

1pc RC. Commute every day, year round. Boots are no problem. With practice and break-in, it goes on and comes off quickly.

I've always worn my gauntlets over the sleeve. Trying to stuff them under the sleeve is too much hassle for daily wear. I've also found no benefit.

I do get crotch leakage even after I upgraded the zipper last year. However, my current leakage is coming from an area that suggests it's not the zipper. I'm sending it back this weekend. They say they can pressure test it.

Interesting comments about the 2pc which I've recently considered upgrading to. I'd really like to have a removable jacket but not the bunching.
  9. Darkseid

Darkseid n00b

Oddometer:
    I went from a one piece to a two piece a few years ago. I don't regret it. I haven't had any issues with bunching or extra fabric getting in the way, and it's just as fast to get on and off as the one piece--if you leave the jacket and pants zipped together. I like having the versatility of being able to just remove the jacket while on the road.

Right now I'm considering the suspender attachment for the pants. You lose the ability to attach the jacket to the pants but it strikes me that it might be more convenient when touring.
  10. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    RC one pc is about the easiest to get on/off. Ive owned three different one pc textile and RC has them beat. plus you can get it custom made. even though it cost 1k it will last you for a decade easy.
  11. okcrich

okcrich n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got the Tourmaster Centurion from revzilla. I live in Colorado. The summers can be over 100 degrees and I have a riding jacket with protection for the summer. The winters are actually moderately cold and dry. I commute 75 miles to work one way. Last week I did my first commute with temperature at 32 degrees and speeds of (over) 75mph posted limit. I kept warm. You can remove the liner for warm weather it has the CE rated pads (except for the spine) and it's water proof. With boots already on, I can put it on in 15 or 20 seconds.
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-centurion-1-piece-suit
  12. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Roadcrafter Light in the summer and have been wearing it for almost all my riding. From 90 to 35 degrees (with heated vest) and through thunderstorms that had cars pulling to the side of the road. It has been totally waterproof, not a single leak. With a good base layer and a heated vest, I'm convinced that sub-freezing temps would be fine. That said, over 80, even with the neck open, sleeves uncuffed and back vent open the heat really builds up in traffic.

I have had some issues with the main zipper binding, and Aerostich provided some zipper lube for just such an occasion, but I'm concerned about the life span of the lube and the fact that additional supply is listed at $5.00, but the shipping cost is another $7.95. To tell the truth, I'm a little upset about it.

Overall, I love the suit... except when the zipper gets hung and I can't get it off. Still I recommend it, but if I had it to do over again, I would buy the full Aerostich.
  13. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    That has a polyester shell, right? What does it say on the garment label?
  14. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    How well do the pants wear without the jacket? Are the suspenders necessary?
  15. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    Not well. You might be able to walk around at lunch or at a quick gas break without the jacket, but you cannot count on the pants being effective in a get-off without having them held up, either by a jacket or the suspenders. There is a draw-string on the pants. But they seem to be cut pretty generously around the waist. They are definitely cut as overpants, nothing like road leathers.
  16. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the newer versions of the of the RC 2 pants have belt loops. Looks like you could throw same belt on there that's used on the darien pant.
  17. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I still wouldn't expect them to stay up in a healthy get-off, even with a belt through the loops.

But I'm new to this 'stich thing, so I could be wrong.
  18. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I happen to have an ancient road crafter 2 that I basically saved from the trash can when a friend tossed it after buying a new suit. I have only tried it on once so far and it takes a while to put on because the zippers are completely shot. I'll have to try the RC pants on with a belt and see how they compare the my Darien pants.
  19. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I have logged a lot of commuting miles wearing a business suit with the Olympia Phantom suit over it. You can now find the Phantom on closeout for $ 300. Olympia has replaced the Phantom with the Odyssey.
  20. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    The biggest difference between the two I saw is removable vs fixed lining. I'd expect the removable lining Phantom to have the wider comfortable temperature range, and the fixed lining Odyssey to be simpler to use?

While the Odyssey sounds like better fit for the role of my commute suit, if I actually could find my size high viz Phantom at $300 that would be a compelling deal! I prefer the styling of the high-viz odessey vs high viz phantom--enough high viz, but not all high viz.