Need opinions on Women's adventure riding jackets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by redbaroness, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Rosie!

Rosie! Little MissAdventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Teknic Sequoia jacket, and I'm really pleased with it. It's always kept me nice and dry. Things left in the pockets get a bit damp with prolonged rain, but not too bad. I haven't tested the impact/abrasion resistance of it, so can't comment on that.

For adventure riding, the only downside I can think of is that I wouldn't want to do a lot of technical, slow speed riding in it in summer - the vents on it are pretty generous, but you need to have a bit of speed going on to get the vents working.
  2. redbaroness

redbaroness Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I swear by Teknic if only because their leather jackets are constructed with women's bodies in mind and they are brilliant quality.
  3. JohnBoy777

JohnBoy777 Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Look here girls, ya can't go wrong with somthin' like this :evil :

[​IMG]
  4. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    well, hell, how about this!

it looks like it vents really well, but I don't know about protection from road rash... :deal

back on track:
    Do any of you girls know of any good fitting mesh/lightweight jackets? (That are cheap also...) It's really hot around here now, and I'm melting... :bluduh
  5. Skudoinker

Skudoinker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read the Hurt study. Black is the most dangerous color you can wear. Black also is very hot.

Aerostitch can make a jacket to fit anyone, fact.

A darien jacket will keep you dry in pouring rain at higway speed. It is not made over seas it is made here in Duluth Mn usa. It is made only here, there are no sub brands, or other factories located anywhere else.

I don't think you grasp the seriousness of the decision you are going to make. Your gear is your parachute, do you want the best and safest or the one that look's good?

I know how Aerostitch test's their jackets and suits, I have no idea if, or how anyone else does it. I know that I can take my jacket to Aerostitch and have it repaired. I can add different back, hip, and other pads if I want too. I can call them with a question and I will get an answer. Anytime I have ever had a problem with anything I felt as if I was top priority, and the issue was always resolved to the highest level of satisfaction i could expect.

Buy what you will, but I would encourage anyone to look past the dollar amount's and the fashion, and look at Aerostitch and see it for what it is. An american company with a handfull of hard working fellow citizens, who show up for work every mourning in the one and only place in the whole world where they will dutifully, and sincerely craft for you the highest quality, safest, and most versatile garments that they possibly can.

What more is there?
  6. underkill

Oddometer:
    But why is it not possible for us to choose gear thats protective (obvioiusly), but that we also enjoy wearing?

why can we not choose both?

I personally don't like my all black gear, but it's what I have so I'm going to deal with it. I'm sure many other people on this site are wearing black gear as well. It's much better than jeans and a t-shirt that you see everyone else wearing out on the streets.

I've also noticed that some gear is just plain cut too big for women, hence the question about women-specific gear and this thread. I hate feeling like a marshmallow when I ride my bike. it's also awkward to move around.

I don't think anyone here is looking at gear based solely on whether or not it will pick up boys at the local supermarket, we just want some nice women's gear. and not everyone can afford to spend the at least $700 for aerostich gear. Even more when you add in the alterations that would be necessary for anything to fit someone my size... That's a lot of money when I still need parts to get my bike running. :cry
  7. Walt-FL

Walt-FL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, the Women's Santiago should be around $570.- which is still a hefty price, but I've seen them in the mid 400s on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_App...diZ7659QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116

The wife had one, it was a great jacket, just not the right thing for Florida. She is a little top-heavy, if you know what I mean, and has a hard time finding something in the S-M-L range. The main advantage with BMW gear is that they have so many different sizes.
  8. Skudoinker

Skudoinker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totaly understand...

I have a 6 year old, 40,000 mile Nolan flip up helmet that I can't afford to replace. It is unsafe, the visor is pitted and at night it's like a bad trip. The padding is coming apart and the chin strap has lost it's nice soft covering and feels a bit like a rope under my chin. It is also loose and uncomforatble.

So I can relate, however I am doing whatever I have to so that in the very near future I can replace it with a Scorpion exo 700.

As far as the jacket goes it's ability to protect you in a crash is an unknown. It all depends on the variables of the crash.
    The head guy at Vanson leathers says people are always asking him, "What is the safest jacket you make?" his answer is, "Tell me how you are going to crash, and I will show you what to buy"

The issue of visability is not subjective. If you lived in Arizona and went camping often, would you rather have all the rattlesnakes within a square mile of you painted brown to match the sand, or day glow orange?

Be honest with yourself and next time you are out running around look at all the riders in black, and the ones in a bright color and ask yourself which ones you see better. Which ones catch your eye in the oncoming traffic better and sooner.

I'm not dictating anything, or saying I have the only way. but about those snakes.......
  9. GS650Lady

GS650Lady Professional Nag

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Teknic 2008 Model Womens Supervent Mesh Jacket. The fit and function are wonderful. $105.00 USD, pretty cheap as these things go.

[​IMG]

For waterproof all round riding I have the Firstgear, Womens Kilimanjaro Jacket. I am also pleased with it.
    It is actually my second. The first I used to test out how crash-worthy it is.....It worked so well I bought another. :wink:
  10. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    i like your style, dude.

is it possible to have the Darien jacket tailored (not by them, by a real tailor) and have it taped again? Aerostich will supply you with seam-tape and will work with your tailor. just curious.

i know women who adore the Olympia gear BECAUSE they make women's gear and it fits them/looks much better. i saw one rather attractive woman at the moto shop in a pair of darien pants (darien lights?) and it looked a lot like she was wearing an adult diaper. my apologies to her if, in fact, she was wearing an adult diaper and i didn't mean to stare. but i think it was more the man-cut of the pants.

for what it's worth, the jacket posted by GS650Lady looks rather attractive. but then, i'm no expert on fashion.

by the bye, this thread'd be tons better with more pictures for use as benchmarks. 5' comes in a lot of different shapes.

just sayin'
  11. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I have the transition 2 jacket and use it all the time as long as it's under about 85 degrees outside (not often now in the SE). I've used it in light rain and no problems but I do have a waterproof jacket/shell that I use on longer rides. great textile jacket with plenty of protection.

For mesh, I got my wife one of the tourmaster LRX Air 2 jackets about 2 weeks ago. I like the black and white color (white seems to be nice for summer use and it's machine washable so hopefully the bugs will wash out). She likes the venting and the comfort in the summer. She also has a leather jacket and pants for track stuff but the mesh is great in the summer. I"m thinking I'll look at the new Trinity womens for her in the fall. it looks more like a womens jacket than the transition, but whatever floats your boat. :)

there's a local shop that specializes in womens gear if you get to GA any time. She-Rides.
  12. underkill

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any pictures or reviews of the women's version of the transition 2? I'm thinking very hard about buying one... but haven't found anything about how the women's version fits.. if it's really bulky, etc etc... (Hate marshmallow arms.. ;) ) anyone? :ear
  13. JHG57

JHG57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something to consider ... The Transition II is a textile not a textile/mesh jacket. They do breathe, but not anything like mesh will. Here in Alabama (High Temps and A lot of Humidity) you may as well wear vented Leather if you are thinking Textile. The Women's Intake Air Series II Mesh Jacket (TourMaster as well) would be a little cooler.

Just a Male Opinion, ... YMMV

-James-
  14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer:
    I would consider the BMW RP-2 in black. Yes, expensive but super-functinal and looks good. There is a picture somewhere in here on one of the equipment threads with a picture of Angelina Jolie wearing the jacket casually, (while not riding), and it looks great on her. I like the black sleeves. Cut the BMW roundels out if they're too much brand advertisement.
  15. joy

joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rev'it Airforce. They sell it in women's sizing and in a nice light tan. Of course, they only came out with tan the year after I bought the black airforce . Kinda pricey, but really lightweight, and the mesh is a tight weave, armor is pretty comfy too. Flows lots of air and you can put in the liner when it starts to get cool.

Or the Rev'It Air, much cheaper and lighter weight, though unisex sizing only.

I have the Rev'It Angel, can't say anything about the waterproofing since I live in sunny SoCal with about 15 days of rain a year. I find the built-in waterproof/windproof lining annoying at times. If it gets hot, I start sweating and the lining doesn't really breathe and my arms start sticking to the lining. I really wish they would make it removable. I don't wear it above 80F.

Pretty warm in colder weather with the insulating liner in (only tested to about 45F, doesn't get too cold here). The two pockets are kinda small, but I keep most of the stuff in the tank bag anyhow.
  16. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:

As an update for my Transition II, I wore it on my trip from VA to ME recently and it did fantastic. On Saturday I rode from York Harbor ME to Lake Placid NY and I was in and out of Rain all day (but more in than out).. Even rode up Mt. Washington in the rain and it was only about 40 degrees at the top.. For most of the day it was around 60... The jacket did great and I stayed dry for hte most part.. My forarms did get a little wet, but I'm pretty sure that was because my gloves aren't water proof and the rain soaked up around the cuffs.. My chest/shoulders/back all stayed completely dry so I'm pleased with its performance.. The pants on the other hand leaked alot, I couldn't tell if water was pooling in my waste and soaking through, or if it was blowing up under my jacket as I was riding then going down around my waste.. Either way, Jacket=awesome pants=not so much.. So far I've worn this jacket in weather ranging from 40 degrees and pouring down rain to 100+ in the sun and I'm very pleased with it.

Also, someones gf on here went down in her transition II and walked away from the incident unscathed.. Haven't seen pics of the jacket yet to see what kind of damage it sustained in the slide, but he's supposed to post pics of it this weekend.
  17. mhkpilot

mhkpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm shopping around for a new jacket for my wife. She currently uses a Frank Thomas. It's crap. It's black. the velcro neck flap rubs against her helmet chin strap and now her chin strap is all frayed. It's not waterproof, and didn't come with a waterproof liner.

I have a Rev'it! Cayenne Pro, and would love to get her a Rev'it! product, but the options for women are so limited. Sucks. Europe has more options than we do here. I think I might just fold and get her a Cayenne Pro, just cause I know it's such a quality jacket.
  18. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Trust me, it's not a women-only issue. In the US, clothing manufacturers expect you to be fat and short-legged. I have a Olympia Stealth mesh suit. I love it, but the front of the suit looks like a maternity suit on the non-beerbellied. They also seem the think that the taller the person, the fatter they are. So to cover a 6'4" length, you have to buy a 3XL, making you look like you're wearing a Motorcycle Mumu.
  19. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Those old threads....

Let me get this straight, it's not REV'IT! gear that leaks. Usually it's combination of factors such as incorrect fit etc. Some people expect to fall in the river and come out dry. It's just not possible with two piece gear, water will always find its way in. From my personal experience if you are dressed well it's possible to ride through few hours of rain and stay dry. Let me know if you have any questions regarding REV'IT! gear, I'll be glad to help :)

Dennis

20. underkill

Oddometer:
    Well I broke down and bought a transition 2 and LOVE it. It has enough vents to keep me from overheating but seems like it'll be warm enough in winter. it fits very well and the tan color looks cool as hell! for a jacket under $200 it rocks...

I also have a pair of Revit pants... and am totally in love with them... If they ever make a women's version of the Cayenne or another 'adventure' type jacket.. i'd work some overtime to get it!!!