how many here ride triumph tiger 955i

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DC Chad, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Corndogger

Corndogger n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drunk_Uncle - appreciate the advice.
  2. roll_it_on

roll_it_on Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also the 2006 is the only year with the clutch cover (see the photo of Victor441's bike above) that is smooth without bolts. It is the same as the 1050 engine and on the opposite side the new head has a different routing of the coolant hoses from the 05's which is also the same as the 1050.
  3. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a 2005 wheel set will fit a 2006 without a doubt?
    I'm looking into buying a cast set for some off road tires, maybe...I've already posted elsewhere so let me know if you know about this, thanks a bunch!
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    any more?:lurk
  5. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    I bought an '06 a couple of years ago with 2,500 miles on it. I've added the factory gel seats, factory center stand, an MRA screen, Touratech crash bars and a Garmin Montana GPS. Other than the tank stripes bubbling up, I've had no issues what so ever with it. Love the triple. On a ride up Pike's Peak this past summer, I got to ride my cousins 2012 GS and it wasn't enough to make me want to trade off the Tiger. The Tiger has more personality, whereas the GS felt more like a well engineered transportation module. No real soul or personality.

Thought about trading the Tiger for a new Multistrada Pikes Peak edition, but can't justify the additional investment. The Multi isn't $15 grand more of a bike than the Tiger. Plus my '07 S2R 1K Monster fills my Italian V-twin needs for now. The Tiger is definitely a keeper. Another cousin of mine agrees, as he picked up a '06 Tiger for himself after riding mine.

Now if I can just get my neighbors FS570 Husaberg out of my head. Supermoto is crazy good fun!:evil
  6. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I recently got an '04 with 46k miles on it (in black) from a guy in California.
    Oh boy.... I love this bike! I have always wanted one but was put off by the height (cause I'm a short unit)
    but I got my leg over it and am loving it. So smooth, so much torque, so niiiiiice!
    :D It brings a smile to my face just thinking about riding it :D
    ok except for the rock-hard seat, gotta get that sorted.
  7. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    i had 2.
    a 2002 that i did my bb1000 on....1029 miles in 22 hours.
    and later a 2005 that i put 35k on. both wonderful bikes.
    i wouldn't mind having another 2005....with the triumph gel seat.
  8. rainycoastguy

rainycoastguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an '02 available, black and fully farkled, always maintained. Got a health problem that isn't going to go away, so Tiger is too much bike for me now. Anyone interested let me know. Located southern B.C. (Vancouver Island)
  9. pizzaman383

pizzaman383 Black 2004 955i

Oddometer:
    I had my Tiger 955i out for the first time this year twice this weekend. God, I LOVE this bike!!!!:D
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, yeah. Well it was a great week everything starting to melt, now have 3" of snow!!!
  11. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Come on down here mate, we had 70-78 all weekend (with some showers though) riding season runs about 45 weeks in Texas! the other 7 weeks its too hot!
    :rofl:rofl
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

Your kidding right? Riding season in Texas is 52 weeks a year. I miss it. Five more years till I retire to Granbury.
  13. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Have owned 28 different bikes over the years all styles and brands. When I purchased my '05 Tiger I owned a 2000 Triumph Speed3 BMW 650 "Funduro" and a Suzuki 750 Katana. Sold off the other 3 kept the Tiger going on year 6 now with her. Couldn't be more pleased one of the best all around bike values in motorcycling today.....but by no means is it a "value" bike. Well built great quality/durability etc.
    And the Triple motor is a dream, the bike simply does everything well. If you can get one, DO you will not be disappointed. :D
  14. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering a 955i for my first adventure bike - maybe a '4 or '05. Want something I can take the wife on trips with and more miles on the highway than back country (but still want to do some exploring). Anything I should be aware of?
    Seems like the best choice outside a BMW GS. Budget of 4k and I am 6'3" and 250. My past includes street and dirt. but that was 20 years ago. Was not keen on the styling at first, but it is growing on me.
  15. Corndogger

Corndogger n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Roadinator. I'm not the most qualified to respond as I've only logged 400 mi on my '06 since I bought it over the holidays, but figured you deserved a reply! I'm 6'3" also and the bike fits my frame well. The riding position is a bit snug for long legs, probably due to the peg placement to help with ground clearance. But, you said you wanted a bike that can also venture off road as well, so also assuming a straight tourer is not in the cards. I did a lot of research before settling on a 955 and the only negative comments seemed to come from shorter riders that didn't like the high seat height and top-heaviness of the bike. With your size, that shouldn't be a problem. Bullet-proof mechanicals and relative ease of maintenance sold me. Plus, the 105hp will suite 2-up riding well. My budget was also around $5K and I couldn't find anything that could touch a '04-'06 955 for a great all-around adventure bike that could also fit my height. Check out tigertriple.com as well for loads more info.

If you happen to buy a blue one and want a set of stock panniers and top case in excellent condition, I'm probably going to list mine soon for sale. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Good luck!
  16. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the dark side, it is growing on you already! :D
    Brilliant bike for 2 up IMHO
    Very good to Awesome for adventure touring depending on your level of skill. Your dimensions will help you, and you can raise the seat a little if needed to adjust for the seat/peg ratio
    Good luck and god-speed, get one as soon as you can, you will not regret it!
  17. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    i'm hunting... just missed one by one day
  18. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got one about 4 weeks ago. Love it. Great choice and a great bike (and the wife loves it as well).

[​IMG]
  19. River

River Gee

Oddometer:
    04...27k glourious kms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. bgt595

bgt595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    River, you should market those crash bars and the bags that mount to the factory mouts!!

I know of at least one buyer, me

I might as well keep the Lucifer Red bike theme going.
    [​IMG]