New 990 Adventure R! First ride...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jgrady, May 3, 2011.

1. jgrady

jgrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been lurking for years and been lusting after a big KTM almost as long. I blame you all...and thanks at the same time!
    Wasn't going to get one. Went to look at a used DR650 and there it was...calling...Can you believe it? My wonderful wife said "Go ahead. Get the one you want." I am indeed fortunate.

Just had about 50 miles with a s**t eating grin to get to know my new friend.
    Marvelous machine! I think there are a few bugs to address though that I suspect a more thorough reading of the owners will mostly fix.

Power is instant and ample. I didn't notice any of the snatchy throttle I have read so much about. Very smooth from idle up. There was, however, a pronounced buzz above about 4500 rpm with it strongest at about 5K. Didn't go much above that to be kind during break-in. I test drove a 990 adventure for about half an hour at a bike show a couple of years ago and have no recollection of vibration issues. In fact, just the opposite so I'm wondering if this is something I can fix. Had no idea how much gas the dealer put in and fuel light came on. Went to fillerup and the left tank was nearly empty...right tank nearly full! 2.6 gallons to fill. I hope that's not normal.

Stock wind screen did its job just fine. No buffeting at all (6'5", 240lbs.). Knocked the wind off my chest so the upright stance was comfortable.

All in all an awesome ride! Almost all pavement but found a 1/4 mile stretch of loose, dirty sand road and was amazed at the ability of such a big bike off road. Stand up, lean back and gas it and she went like a bat with good control like my old Husky. Now for dialing in the suspension...then a proper skid plate, some bar risers, luggage and...I know, old news.

You experts get ready because I am sure I will have questions I can't find answers for. After all, it is your fault!

Looking forward to some good times...

Salud! :freaky
  2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Excellent...congrats!

Check your tank petcocks...bet the right one is closed!
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    It'll smooth out once its broken in and the TB's sync'd. Don't baby it, but don't overheat it and change the oil early. Welcome to the Orange Side.
  4. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My compliments also for your new ride. Yes it will smooth out. Wasn't paying notice but my 2009 ironed out that vibration after a while. I second on that opinion of not holding up in the break-in period. Again congrats on your choice I don't think you ll regret it...cheers
  5. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    can't wait, pick mine up thursday!! stopped by and grabbed the owners manual today so reading up on it now:1drink
  6. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    Congrats.:clap
  7. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a good wife. My wife did the same for me. She said, "if that's the bike you really want, just get it." It was mine the next day. I've been loving the 990 ever day since.
  8. jgrady

jgrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I am guessing the petcocks are what the manual refers to as "fuel taps"?
    Can't wait to take a proper trip asap...:D
  9. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went to a Suzuki/KTM dealer to buy a filter for my DL650 and they were trying to unload a new 2007 for 3500 Euro below MSRP as the 08's were on the floor.

I came home and told my wife that I bought a new bike and if she didn't like it, too bad! :bubba

Then she came in the room and asked me who I was talking to. :lol3

Oh yeah, congrats on the second best decision (the first one being the one who told you to buy the 990R! ) in your life. You'll have a blast with it, no doubts.
  10. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent choice; revel in the power, design and exclusivity. An awesome bike that will give you years of fun both on and off road :wings

Best wishes :wave
  11. Paul_M

Paul_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    same hhere ..

I've been loving her every day since :-) ( the bike also :) )
  12. mongrel uc

mongrel uc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    collected my 2010 990r two weeks back only got to ride it for a day befor having to go back to work un belivably smooth right through to the 6500 limit you have while running it in best thing i have bought in a while :D
  13. mudmaster

mudmaster n00b

Oddometer:
    I too took ownership of my new 990 last Saturday. It was a cold Denver day and I was short a few layers so I froze on the 35 miles home. I couldn't believe how nicely the trans shifted up and down without a hitch. Amazingly quiet as well. I did notice lots of buffeting since I sit up high. The KTM weighs more than my Suzuki DL650 did but as I whipped it around pot holes and took corners, it felt much lighter. Two days later I took her up some steep grades to 9,000 ft to seat the rings and carve some corners in the Rockies. Fantastic, stable, smooth and great in the tight turns. Next came some dirt roads. I love the 10.3 inches of travel over the bumps. Small choppy bumps did pack the forks a bit so I'll reduce the rebound damping some to see what that does.
    Ordered an XL windshield from California Scientific. It should be here tomorrow. I know it will reduce or eliminate the buffeting noises and keep me warmer. I'll put on a fender extender and frame protectors when they come in the next day.
    Overall, I'm very impressed and can't wait for a ride that takes all day. I really like the center stand for oiling the chain; way easy. I'm still learning the technique of putting it up on the stand however. So far so good.
  14. 1Buffalo

1Buffalo High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the madness, you chose an awesome machine! My wife was also really supportive and I promised her I'd leave the 990 stock. That was 2 months ago. Now after 1000 miles, a throttle cam, LeoVince cans, crash bars, back packs, covers, etc, etc, etc... I think I've broken my promise a little. Easy to do with so much cool stuff out there.

Hope you get some great riding! :clap
  15. jgrady

jgrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was it. Thanks for that!
    Now I hope the vibration will abate. Put another 50 miles on and a substantial buzz at 5k-ish+, especially when on the gas. Should I look for something? Going for a good long shakedown this weekend and try to sort it out. That's my only gripe and not a big one at that. Still amazed that this thing handles pavement and dirt both so very well.
    Haven't missed the .6 inch less travel yet on the 2011 vs. the 2010 though I wish it were there. Dealer said it's all about seat height.
    Thanks, short guys...:rofl :rofl
    But seriously, thanks for all the good cheer...
  16. mongrel uc

mongrel uc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i always thought that the other bits you have put on were stock all the others have them:1drink
  17. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 09 did the same thing and I never figured out what it was, but it stopped doing it and until I read your post I had forgot about it entirely.
  18. 1Buffalo

1Buffalo High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    You mean others come with Crash Bars? Sure. Throttle Cam? Maybe but surely not the Leo's. Please tell me it isn't so.
  19. Helios

Helios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the madness :D These bikes truly inspire the soul...

-H
  20. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think all KTM's vibrate until they get broken in. My old 625SXC would walk across the garage while at idle, it got better with age. Congrats on the new scooter, what color?