Mexico to Canada in 24hrs

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Nick Hill, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Nick Hill

Nick Hill Scooter trashed...

Oddometer:
    Hello all... I have a mission. I am going to ride a Hayabusa or ZX14 from Mexico to Canada in a time period of 24hrs.

Has anyone on this forum done this? Google Maps tell me it will take 22-23hrs. I am aware that this is based from a nonstop perspective. Do you think I will be able to make up the time in speed (nothing over 95mph)?

Im going to try to do this in the next 30 days. Any advise?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dont get caught:eek1
  3. Boston

Boston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden from Biloxi, MS to Shoreview, MN in about 23 hours - google maps has that at 20 hrs, 34 mins. Between gas, bathroom, and coffee breaks (and yes, you're gonna need it) - it tacks time on. Now I was on a fat and (relatively) slow Royal Star - I kept it under 80mph the whole time. And honestly, I'm not sure I'd do it again. In the home stretch, you're very tired - and your reaction time is slow because of it. A stupid cage, or a deer bolting across the road at 4am is all it takes. I used the 18 wheelers at night to "clear" the road of animals. If you're gonna do it, be aware that your reaction time will be severely compromised at the end - be careful! And yeah, don't get caught.
  4. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Personally, I always arrive ahead of Google estimates. Where to where?
  5. Nick Hill

Oddometer:
  6. Nick Hill

Oddometer:
    Id like to hit the closest points. Im worried that TJ will hold me at the border too long leaving Mexico so maybe the next available crossing. Id also like to enter into Canada from Blaine.
  7. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    If you cross at Yuma, Hwy 95 is empty and fast. Take it to Boise and then NW on I-84. 95 is an empty desert road to Boise.

95 to Reno and north on 395 to I-84. Desert, fast, mostly empty.

I think Hwy 395 to Hwy 97, thru WA, would be the quickest way to a Canadian border, but is a long way to the east of your destination.

If the weather co-operates I-90 to 405 north to I-5 north would probably be fastest to Blaine. Try to hit Seattle area at non rush hour times.

If the weather station says snow on Snoqualmie it is usually just at the very top (maybe 2-3 miles) and mostly slush, this time of year. Storms up here also means 50+ miles of very cold rain.
  8. Nick Hill

Oddometer:
    Blaine was just a thought... Nothing in stone. Ive played with the map many times over and it still seems on paper that the 5 all the way up is the fastest at almost 23hrs.

Man... This is going to be close. I cant seem to find a ride report from anyone that has done it on a sportbike. I highly doubt im going to be able to match the fuel range of anyone who has done it on a touring bike. I do plan to change my sprockets to keep the rpms down. Im not sure how more that will help.
  9. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I-5 sounds faster on paper or google estimates, BUT it goes thru heavy population and traffic all the way. You must turn off the freeway for gas.

On two lane the gas stations are on the way thru town. Fueling in small towns makes up for the reduced speed limits thru town.

Up thru the deserts the speed limit is almost always 65. No traffic. There are times where you will not have to pass a car for hours. It will be dry. 5 in OR and WA is a coastal weathered road...wet,wet,wet.

If you are making a serious run, bolt a small boat tank on the tail and tee it into your fuel line. Use it for reserve on the longer sections. A two hundred plus mile range is desirable thru Nevada.

Keep your speed reasonable and just make miles.

If you want to start very early, make sure the border crossing is open.
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    As Commuter Boy pointed out, that is an Iron Butt ride that has been done by quite a few riders. In 24 hours it's called a Border to Border (B2B) Gold. In 36 hours it is a B2B.

You don't need a Hyabusa or ZX-14 to complete that ride. It has been done on HD's, Gold Wings, BMW's, etc. Excessive speed is counterproductive, as you'll be stopping for fuel so often that you lose any advantage it might otherwise provide.

If you take a look on the Iron Butt Association web pages you can probably find ride reports from riders who have done it. You can also get some really good advice from riders who have accomplished it on the IBA forum here.

And I certainly agree with thetourist - I-5 is not the best route for the attempt.
  11. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    I Know a biker who makes 14 hrs from Reynosa to Oaxaca.

not as long as Mex to Canada, but..... just take into account all the freaking burros on the road...:eek1

I think that would deserve some Iron Butt trophy:lol3

Have a safe ride men!

Arte
  12. istankov

istankov photographing your vision

Oddometer:
    from my point of view - stupidity: Drive it for 2.4 months instead 24hours!!

Iron Butt ideas seems so insaine for me: First reason - nobody push you to exaust yourself, second: after 6-7-8 hours of driving you became leathal weapon on 2 to 18 wheels, no mater driving bicycle or lorry.

Stupid, childish idea. Hope that you will abandon that idea and enjoy nice roads
  13. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I was just gonna pop in and express my surprise that no one has come in saying your stupid yet, but I'm too late. Ride safe, have fun!
  14. IndyTim

IndyTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... why?
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Don't ride very far in your country, eh? :rofl
  16. SteelRain

SteelRain Beer Cooled

Oddometer:
    did it from Canada to Mexico

Average speed was 70ish, but we needed to do 85ish to make up for stops.
  17. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were to route through Oregon, highway 97 is faster than I5. I5 has Portland, Salem, Eugene, and Medford. As potential slow traffic points if you hit them at the wrong time. Granted, Portland is the worst, and the severity decreases as you head south.

97 is overall flatter and straighter with nothing more than about 40 miles stretches between gas stations (unless you are heading through at night - then it can be as much as about 100 miles). Deer can be an issue though.

I'd actually say that I5 isn't bad from Sacramento N. in California. There isn't much in the way of bad traffic except maybe for Redding, if you hit it at just the wrong time.

Just playing around with the idea I would consider aiming to start and end near midnight, so you are passing through SoCal, and the Seattle areas well outside of rush hours...but in the middle of the night you are fighting natural circadian rythyms where most people find a lot of fatigue. Reading some notes from other long distance riders early morning around dawn can be particularly rough, so I would want to be away from heavy morning traffic areas.
  18. garry_kramer

garry_kramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I guess I must be stupid also, I am planning a Bun Burner Gold on May 29th in Ontario, Canada. Good luck on the ride. Ignor the nay sayers.

Garry
  19. pearlblue1800

pearlblue1800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those that have to ask WHY, obviously are not members of the L.D. community.
    The others that have commented did not understand your direct question of asking "who else has done this ride?"
    To those of you that think this is a common ride because the ride is certified by the IBA. So common that many have completed it. Again nonsense!! The IBA Rally is certified, the best of the best often are unsucessful in this ride!!
    The unsucessful attempts of any IBA ride are not listed!
    To those of you that think it is easy, well make the ride and then comment. In other words PROVE IT!
    Back to the original inquirie.
    Last June 15/16 I sucessfully completed an IBA B2B Insanity, and have had this ride certified.
    Firstly avoid I-5, far too many opportunities for delays.
    My ride was from Canada to Mexico.
    Leaving Elko B.C. through Kalispell Mt, s. on I-15 through Salt lake City Ut. Through Las Vegas Nev. Then south on Hwy #95 to Blyth Cal. South to Hwy 78 to #534 A short ride E on I-10, Then S. on Hwy 186 to Los Algodones Mex.
    I ride with an auxilary 4 u.s.gallon fuel tank. Therfore only had 4 fuel stops.
    Total distance was 1452 miles.
    Obviously you are an accomplished L.D. rider so I will not state obvious preparation work, and fuel planning.
    If you have any questions please contact me @ pearlblue1800@hotmail.com
    BTW average speed need only be 60.5 mph

IBA # 15579
    SS1000 x2, BB Gold, BB 2500,B2B Insanity
  20. Nick Hill

Oddometer:
    Unreal... You don't know anything about me or my reasons for planning this trip.

Don't be an asshole.