Guzzi Lemans cyls on a T3

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by JonnyCash, Nov 14, 2012.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I need a set of jugs for my T3 project, and there is a set of 850 Lemans I cylinders and pistons on ebay right now. Would these work on my T3? I seem to remember that lemans had iron liners, instead of chrome or nikasil, is that right? I don't think I'd be willing to go too high on the bid on these, but I like the idea of iron liners instead of plated, and it is a lot cheaper than new Gilardonis. Thanks for any input.
  2. mtiberio

mtiberio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cylinders yes, pistons no...
    iron yes.
  3. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with the pistons? Are they domed too much for the T3 heads or something?
  4. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Lemans pistons need Lemans heads.
  5. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody. I'm glad I asked. It seems that all roads point to coughing up $750 on a set of Gilardonis.
  6. Nick in PRC.

Nick in PRC. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a set of perfect low mile chrome bore cylinders, matching pistons and pins on fleabay right now...........Moto Guzzi Classics are selling them and the description will match the condition. Guzzi-renew is their store.

Edit..........gone already........blink and you'll miss the good stuff.
  7. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the e-Bay cylinders are real cheap, might be worth a try.
  8. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I saw that listing, and could see at the top of the cylinders that there was a notable flaw in the chrome. I almost flagged them for it, but didn't feel like bothering. Also, I can easily see how an old chrome bore cylinder could flake after being dormant for a long time and then going back into service. They are 40 f-ing years old, and they no longer owe anybody anything at this point. I'm scared of them!
  9. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    How are your pistons? If they are within the specs published in the Guzzi manual and you want to save a few $$, have the original cylinders replated in Nikasil by a company such as Millennium Technologies. Cost is approx. $209 ea. New rings, gaskets, o-rings and piston pin circlips are maybe another $150.
  10. Nick in PRC.

Nick in PRC. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No flaking.........I've seen them......they were perfect. Mark always guarantees his stuff anyway.
  11. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Back in '04 a friend bought a pair of NOS Eldo cylinders with pistons from a former dealer selling off all of his leftovers at VMD @ Mid-Ohio. They too looked "perfect". About 10k miles later they were flaking just as bad as any other set I've seen. $400 down the drain. He bought Gilardonis and chalked it up to "live and learn".
  12. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:

Do you need them because you don't have any or because the ones you have are damaged?

Plated cylinders can be re-plated a lot cheaper than buying new, Fitting new liners isn't too expensive either if you have iron liners.
  13. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I have two sets of totally shitty chrome bores. I also have one set of pretty good chrome bores, which I thought I was going to use, but under intense scrutiny, I found I shouldn't. I also have a set of iron bore 88mm cylinders, which would need to be bored, as would my cases to make them fit. I have two sets of pistons for the 83mm jugs. One set is ugly, the other is marginally useable.

The way I see it, If I had one of my sets of chrome bores replated , that alone would be like $420, new rings and clips would be about $150, which comes to $570, which isn't even $200 less than all brand new parts. I'm generally about as tight as a coat of paint, but I don't want to fuck up and regret this, so I think I'm just going to do it.

If these lemans jugs in question would have worked on this T3, that would be different to me, as a failure in these parts would only mean some piston slap, and some oil burning tendencies. Using old chrome bores just seems crazy to me, the more I think of it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
  14. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Excuse my ignorance....is no one punching the old chrome liners out and pushing new iron liners in?
  15. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:

Fair call. Maybe new parts is seeming like a good idea
  16. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chrome isn't on a liner as such, it's on the inside of the barrel. It would be possible to bore them right out to accept an iron liner I guess.