Yamaha TY 250 question

Discussion in 'Trials' started by 1fxstbi, Jan 21, 2015.

1. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if it's a Wes system but the is a full exhaust, header, chamber and silencer on some of the UK sites. Looks pretty cool. I'm Going to end up with the Wes because it looks better than stock and will be cheaper in the end. I'll just do a freestyle restoration!
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could end up like this! Rider from our local Vintage club[​IMG]
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Damn, and I'm trying to figure out how to ride one bike......
  4. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I just want to add, I can't think of a reason, that I wouldn't get the the part you found on E-Bay? make it work.

what is in question here is $, then "performance?" realistically, performance is crap on stock mufflers anyhow.

Now, THe W.E.S. setup is probably weighs (going by memory from back in the day, mostly because I haven't bought one in 25 years) about half of a clean unused NOS muffler, that not filled with 2 stroke goo that accumulates.

There are a hundred ways to skin this cat (pun intended) because in the day people tried everything from tun-able trap mufflers, and spark arrestors...

now if you was building a museum model and had to be perfect resto, the of course the choices are limited.
  5. TE 450 Pilot

TE 450 Pilot Bike Collector

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your project. We just finished my wife's TY 175 and are doing my TY 250 now. Great bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Randy
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    Very nice red and white 175!
  7. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy, that is gorgeous! I hope I can make mine look as good as yours. I am doing the complete tear down so I can paint everything and polish the cases and fork legs. Yours is my benchmark!
  8. TE 450 Pilot

Oddometer:
    If there is anything I can do to help just ask.

For us we found a small local shop that powder coats their own products. For not much more then a rattle can paint job we were able to get everything powder coated the a clear powder coat over top.

< My wife said to make it clear that's HER bike :deal> Mine is in the works !

Randy
  9. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll have to address all my future questions to the owner instead of "just the mechanic". Thanks for your patience in my multiple PM questions.
  10. TE 450 Pilot

Oddometer:
    How have you made out with the muffler ?

Here is a update for my TY 250 build as well....
    [​IMG]

Randy
  11. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh my, going for a Majesty look? Very nice! :thumb
  12. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy, looks awesome; I seem to say that every time you post a picture! I'm still in pursuit of a muffler and one fork tube. My latest dilemma is finding dirt in the carb and intake tract. I posted this question in the 2smoke forum hoping to get some advice. Do you have an opinion?

I'm starting my restoration on my '74 Yamaha TY 250 trials bike. When I bought it the previous owner said he just put a new top end (2 over) on it because the compression was a little soft. After the work he only put about a half hour on the bike to make sure everything is ok. I've ridden it about the same amount of time and it does run good and everything is nice and quiet on top and bottom end. As I was disassembling everything I pulled the carb and found that the slide was shows some light scoring and there is a little dirt in corners on the inside. I suspect that the air filter let go and the wear on the piston was from dirt getting in the engine. My question is; do you think I need to crack the cases or do you think I would be ok just flushing out the crank case? Any experienced opinions would be greatly appreciated.

One more question; I've got the engine out, would it help to pull the cylinder and flush the crank case instead of splitting the cases?
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can tell a lot just by looking in the intake and exhaust. If it sounded good and ran well, you are probably lucky. But finding dirt in the intake always makes you cringe.
  14. TE 450 Pilot

Oddometer:
    I would just run it and enjoy. I am always looking for a basket case motor or bike. I would like to try rebuilding a motor and keep it as a spare. Does not take much to swap it out.

Thanks for the complements on the bike. It's fun to work on.

Randy
  15. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy, you have yet another PM, please. :1drink