Ural drive shaft U-joint -to grease

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kawzak, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kawzak

kawzak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have gone over everything on my new Patrol. The drive shaft u-joint grease zerk just don't have enough clearance to get a grease gun fitting on.I even machined the barrell/end of my grease gun fitting smaller dia. still no-go. Suggestions? or just take the drive shaft loose from rear hub. Not a big deal-just curious what others do.I even tried an old slender slide pump type gun for lubing milling machines. Angle is just too tight.
  2. McShakes

McShakes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kawzak, have you tried a grease gun needle? You can pick one up at most automotive stores. They are designed for extra hard to reach tight spots and come in a variety of lengths, work very well.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey kawzac,

You should really consider joining Soviet Steeds, every question you have asked has been covered extensively there in multiple threads, and several dealers also participate, and will help with questions.There is a whole section dedicated to service, maintenance and repairs.

Also there are obviously many more Ural enthusiasts there, perhaps some local to you who would be happy to help you.
  4. kawzak

kawzak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a needle with a zerk on it. I need to get the regular fitting end on the zerk so I can pump lots into this u-joint. The other (2) took alot before it slightly oozed out around the seals.I dont think I can get enough in there with a needle.Thanks for the suggestion though.
  5. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a needle to get the grease deep up into the splines but I use Autotec #57216, it looks more like a ball point pen's refill.

I had to bend the last 3/8" to angle it inside the joint but it works great. I also use a small one hand grease gun.

SS has all the info to get you working.
  6. kb5zcr

kb5zcr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. kawzak

kawzak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I will join the other fourm you spoke of. I have seen it. many times my computer rejects hooking up to it???. Also thanks for the Harbor freight grease /coupler assortment info. it looks like that is just what I need.Thanks KB5VCR .
  8. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been using a needle tip for mine and it works just fine.

:freaky
  9. kawzak

kawzak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was talking about the needle-the one I have is a large sringe needle with a zerk fitting on it to stick in ball joint cups on cars. The needle you guys are talking about are bigger it sounds like-just hold against the zerk. thanks for the suggestions.
  10. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. It is just a thin tube with a needle tip that you just push it into the Zerk fitting. Any good auto parts store will have them.

:freaky
  11. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ''Thin Tube'' that is what I have & it's strong enough to push against. Thanks Railbender
  12. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    The early BMW's had a flat zerk fitting, no ball for the grease gun to clamp onto, just the spring loaded check ball in the middle that you pushed the needle tip into. Over the years I've used that needle for lots of tasks, greasing CV joint, etc.
  13. vetsurginc

vetsurginc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harbor Freight Had a hand mini grease gun (3 ounce cartridge of grease) that fits my 2011 GearUp zerks very nicely. So snug a connection I've had to use a flat blade screw driver to help pop it off. :rofl
  14. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    I had the same question! Thanks for all the info. Had not checked SS yet where I do spend some time o. "Googling" the question brought me here. Nice. Have little grease gun, needles and all...
    Stay well.
    Ara and Spirit

[​IMG]
  15. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    you need to change out the regular ball zerk fitting for a flush needle style zerk fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought that kit at HF and had to use the one four from the left plus the flexible extension to get the grease into that fitting.
    I saw the "hand mini grease gun (3 ounce cartridge of grease) that fits my 2011 GearUp zerks very nicely" there also but I think it required manual loading.
    Seemed to me that all three u-joints on my Yamal took a lot of grease.
  17. smelick

smelick Once you hack...

Oddometer:
    Ok, after trying the needle tip fitting and then grinding the needle tip down without any success, I figured I'd try the mini grease gun from Harbor Freight. The fitting on that was too big as well, as I tried to grind it down I took off the fitting it came with and BINGO it works perfectly!! :clap:clap It turns the tip into the Lincoln Lubrication 5855 Extension Adapter - but at less than 1/2 the cost!!

This is the gun (It was on sale for $9)

http://www.harborfreight.com/grease-gun-with-3-oz-grease-95575.html

You can see the gun here without the fitting.

[​IMG]

I am lubed up!!

-Scott