Hardwiring a Garmin Rino to a DR650

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by viking66, Apr 5, 2006.

1. viking66

viking66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Im considering butchering a cigarette lighter adapter to do this. Has anyone else gone this route? Are there any pointers to this method or is it madness?
    Is there a marine grade power connector to be had?
    Any input would help, Thanks - viking66
  2. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Is there a 'hardwire' kit for that model Garmin? I have a hardwire kit for my 276C that is just wired into an ignition-switchable wire, like the tail light. I think it was about $15 or so and has the Garmin plug connection on one end and some loose wires on the other end. That would be the best way if such a kit for your Garmin exists. Otherwise, if you have a cigarette lighter adaptor, cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire the positive and negative wires into your bike, using a proper fuse, of course.
  3. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Be careful with just cutting the cigarette lighter adapter off. Make sure your GPS can handle 12v. 3AA's is only 4.5v. Many times the adapter not only gives you the plug but also steps down the power. Otherwise you risk damaging your GPS.
  4. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    West Marine has a stainless 12v plug you could wire in.
    Would be more versitle for cell phones & other gadgets.
    Might be best to use the Garmin 12v cord for the Rino in a wired socket.
  5. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeffy is correct. The input voltage on the external power connector is 4.5 volts. Page 92 in the PDF manual available online. The cigarette lighter adapter for the Rino does step it down to 4.5v!

Rino's run a long time on their batteries. You may not need power from your bike.
  6. viking66

viking66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
    pckopp, I think thats the path of least resistance. Battery power should suffice; Ill turn the radio off for longer life. No issues with varying voltage ( save for loss ). Carry spares like I always do.