Kennedy Meadows July 6-8, 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by IntrepidRunner, May 31, 2012.

1. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not so fast guys. The rangers are very fussy about burning locally collected wood, fallen or not. Please check with the Blackrock Ranger Station a mile up the road before starting any chainsaws! I STRONGLY recommend bringing a box of fire wood to be sure.
  2. IntrepidRunner

Oddometer:
    Klammer, I hope you can come. I'm looking forward to working on my single track skills with you! :freaky
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    You need a firewood permit to cut and haul firewood. And they have designated areas to do this. Pulling off just anywhere and cutting wood will result in a fine if you get caught.

That said, people do it all the time. And there is a LOT of wood up there. It was said some 700 trees were knocked down the winter before last, the bad one.

A few of us are riding up Thursday. We'll stop through there Friday night and say hello, or setup camp for the night.

Oh, and someone in the group needs to have a campfire permit and someone needs to be on site if it's burning. Have a shovel and a bucket on hand. If everyone leaves camp with the fire going expect to get a ticket. They do come around and check for spark arrestors as well. I know, all you guys already know this. :1drink

Always good to stop up at Blackrock, they're friendly and will help you with whatever you need. Good trail maps too. Last year I printed a bazillion of them for Rich's event.
  4. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    I work 7 years with the rangers up there , iff you go and get the fire permit and ask theme ,they will tell you the cut the wood the is on the ground.
    wath they no want is guys cutting standing tree's
  5. IntrepidRunner

Oddometer:
    Maybe so, ask them again to be doubly sure. Staff and rules change. I don't want anybody's weekend ruined. :eek1
  6. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    I really want to say I'll be there, but since I started my new job, I've had 2 days off since memorial weekend. If you see an old green woods bike in camp, I made it! Fire permits are availible on line, just search national forest fire permit. Check with the blackrock on wood gathering for sure, but I believe Trailtricks is correct in that they want you to burn what you can gather on the ground and use of a chainsaw in your campsite is permitted. Use of a chainsaw outside of your campsite for shure requires a permit. Bring a good lenght of strong rope ( I prefer climbers rope) and the Grinch will teach you my trick to having all the wood you need to have a raging bonfire each night!
    Hope to see you all there, but if not have a great time! :-)
  7. sam_wilson

sam_wilson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    huh ???????
  8. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'll get a fire permit tonight online and If I get a chainsaw obviously I would double check. But I third Javier's statement about them wanting dead wood burned if possible.

Intrepid if you could add Roy and Lior and Sam to the list we are all comin up Thursday mornIng..

Getting stoked to ride suckas!!!!!!

Hope to see you there Rich!! It's been a while.
  9. BootDragger

BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

Oddometer:
    Just burn the fallen trees man! Leave your wood at home!! :csm Nobody wants to see that stuff!:rofl
  10. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    Javiar...AKA (Trailtrick) is from Uraguay I think???
    So his english isn't the best. But he is a hell of a rider.
  11. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'll get a fire permit tonight online and If I get a chainsaw obviously I would double check. But I third Javier's statement about them wanting dead wood burned if possible.

Intrepid if you could add Roy and Lior and Sam to the list we are all comin up Thursday mornIng..

Getting stoked to ride suckas!!!!!!

Hope to see you there Rich!! It's been a while.
  12. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay!! Downloaded, Printed and signed Fire Permit

I would imagine we may have more than one fire so Somone else get one too it's free.
  13. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:

Javier aint from there here parts and dont spell so good....but you get the idea.... Also he spends ALOT of time in the Piutes..so he knows the deal.. Havin a cabin up dere and all.....
  14. IntrepidRunner

Oddometer:
    I downloaded one too.
  15. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!
  16. sam_wilson

sam_wilson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch man, I just had no idea what the guy said. I guess if stroking the bologney pony is your bag...have at it, but I aint getting involved. I am @ fish creek at least once a week and it's way to much of a hassle to cut wood up there,with permits and where you can and can't take wood. much easier for me to grab some wood off the stack at home and burn that.
  17. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it Thursday yet???
  18. IntrepidRunner

Oddometer:
    Is Grumpy Bear's open? Anybody interested in riding there for dinner Saturday night?
  19. bitwrench

bitwrench ADV SUMO

Oddometer:
    Chris, are you taking your husky? I rode in the Piutes Sunday on my 610 and I feel like I got mugged...
    I guess I got a week to recover.. ;]
    Jackson
  20. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Well, this trip has become somewhat of a cluster. Originally I was going to ride up with Rich and Ersin and camp off the bikes. Then my kid decided he wanted to go. He has like 10 free days the whole summer because he's doing an internship for his val-tech diploma for high school. So how can I say no to that? Plus we got a plated WR250F a while ago and it hasn't even been out of the garage. He's scheduled to take his safety course in a couple of weeks.

Then Rich and Ersin cancelled. So that was cool, no problem. Then my kid says he has a school ASB meeting he has to go to Thursday morning. I'll bet we don't get going 'till noon or one. We had planned to head home Saturday afternoon.

So, yes, I was going to bring the husky and ride with Nick on the roads and easy trails. No Rattlesnake Creek or Jackass Pass trails for us this time. We'll do two rides, one to Monache on the jeep trail, and another over Sherman Pass to Horse Meadow and Big Meadow. And no, my husky doesn't do that tight singletrack, especially for this old man. :D I have a KTM 250 setup for up for that stuff but didn't plan to bring it this time. My kid destroys bikes on those trails so I didn't really want him on either bike. He would either f'up my KTM or break all the blinkers off the yamaha. Plus I can't afford to have him broken. Oh geez.

Every year we take the dirtbikes at least once up there, with the motorhome. But the coach needs tires and the wife just went back to work so we'll have to save up for the $2500 for new tires. We are going to tent it with the car this time.

Damn, I'm getting wussed out these days. :lol3

EDIT: Whoohoo - 1500 miles!