the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    there are hundereds of threads on the dr650 so why not have a meeting point for all dr riders in one place, ask questions, ride reports, pics, modifications that do and dont work, new gear that becomes available etc etc etc...... we have to show the klr guys what we are all about !!!:clap
    Gmb1975, Igot Akai, Sonny S. and 13 others like this.
  2. joshinthecity

joshinthecity www.joshinthecity.com

Oddometer:
    I'd be all for that..

Josh.
  3. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the project guys
    [​IMG]
  4. Wufnu

Wufnu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If someone had to try to copy the KLRs magic, I'm glad it's you guys!

:rabia:rabia:rabia
    joenuclear likes this.
  5. vaguelyliterate

vaguelyliterate n00b

Oddometer:
  6. sleepywombat

Oddometer:
    my idea wasnt about starting a new website it was about having one forum post on here for all dr riders.....
    Sleam, Hipcheck and dcwilcox like this.
  7. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Would it be for all DR riders, 250 & 350 included, or just the 650? If it's for all DR riders...:thumb
    FloorPoor likes this.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Is that there would need to be a competent moderator to step up and raise their hand. Or someone else who would be willing moderate it.

Currently, there are 2 bike/brand specific forums - KTM and GS, and they seem healthy.

We're probably overdue for a KLR forum.

There are already a few sites that do a great job for specfic bikes, offering much more than ADVrider in the in the nuts-n-bolts aspect. ADVrider offers things that they others do not. How far to go......?
  9. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adv Rider is the first place I go. Thumper Talk is good, but I enjoy the international pictures and stories here. It would indeed be nice to have a DR site (650) that is!
    [​IMG]
    Tony from northwest Florida
  10. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I'm all for having a DR thread. Let's do it.
  11. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my DR has the leakiest fork seals here.
    gpfan likes this.
  12. sleepywombat

Oddometer:
    yes it would include all DR riders even those who ride the old 800's and not so old freewinds.... i guess its just finding someone who has one of these bikes and doesnt go out on rides (like thats ever gonna happen :rofl ) ...they could moderate it
    advrider963 likes this.
  13. hacktastic

hacktastic DR650 Killer(FIRE! FIRE!)

Oddometer:
    No DRZ400 riders allowed, eh? :D
  14. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Wannabee! ... i have seen the light.... now just need bucks
    so ...:lurk

is there some way to archive/associate/append the SPECTACULAR thread
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117546

That one is definitely a KEEPER for all DR650 pilots and wannabees. In fact, if anyone knows how and could pull it off, some sort of Album of the pictures in that thread would be Utter Uber-Magic

z
    Truenorth2005 likes this.
  15. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of an ongoing DR thread here.

I just bought an '06 DR650 about 18 days ago. This will be my commuter and light weight adventure touring bike this summer.

Paid $4700 for the bike and have spent about $1100 setting it up for me.
    So far: 4.9Gal. IMS tank, Spitfire shield, bar risers Corbin seat, skid plate, Dirt Bags, Still waiting on the luggage rack ordered from the dealer the day I bought the bike so I can mount my JC whittney small top case, battery tender plug so I can run my tire pump. Still fairly cheap compared to say an F650 and will be better off the road.

I've never been a big fan of top boxes but the JCW comes off with a push of the button and it will add some security and convienance for $60. BTW it includes the quick release mount. Givi charges $40 extra for thiers. The spitfire WS comes off with 2 wingnuts in about 5 seconds. The Dirt Bagz will hold my tire repair kit and extra tools plus other stuff and are securely mounted but come off easy. I hate worring about gas so the IMS tank will carry me 200 to 250 miles. I ride a lot and consider myself to have a pretty tough butt, but the stock seat has me squirming after 60 miles. The Corbin is wider to support my cheeks and is flat to allow a change of position. Takes about 5 minutes to swap seats if I want to. Even with all this added stuff the DR feels lighter than My KLR. Nothing bad on the KLR, I still love the KLR. Just making a statement.

The Plan: To seek out new (to me) backroads and dirt roads in the mountains of Ga, NC, TN, & SC This Summer. Starting with the Tour de Tellico later this month.

With high gas prices The DR is able to run on $0.20 cheaper regular gas and at last fillup gets 15 to 18 miles more per gallon than my 1150 GS does on the more expensive premium. Oil and filter changes are cheaper than my 1150GS, and much cheaper and easier than my KTM950(sold),and KTM450EXC. The KLR is about the same as the DR in price and time.

Thats it for now, Lets keep this thread alive!

Gus
    Gmb1975, Quinnjim and silent7 like this.
  16. sleepywombat

Oddometer:
    good to see people have taken an interest in this thread idea. the way i see it is its harder to find a stock dr than a moded one, some people would see this as the bike having numerous faults. it is however quite the opposite.... the stock dr is the perfect mon-fri commute and w/e trails bike, the thing is most dr riders prefer to hit the trails mon-fri hense the mods :deal
  17. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Ay!! Brain fart, no offense. :wink:
  18. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Count me in...Don't worry about listing other forums for DR's, there is a lot of useful information we can find and bring back in so if you have a resource, post it for others...God knows we don't have all the answers...Here is one I use for a lot of tech help on my DR 650. It also was the forum that brought me here to follow a story about Snowrider...ride from WI to Alaska on his DR.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/
    black top bob likes this.
  19. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    soooo..

what do you guys suggest about my leaky fork seals? Do "the tighten up"? :ear
    gpfan likes this.
  20. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run a piece of film through them before you do anything. This has worked for me on the dr650 and the kdx.