wolfman saddlebags

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eal1284, Jan 31, 2011.

1. eal1284

eal1284 n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy all, I am looking to hear from someone who has seen and felt both the Expedition dry saddlebags and the Teton (same style different material) My biggest concern is durability. The waterproof factor would be nice but not if it will sacrifice the life of the bags. Can anyone offer their opinion on the two different materials and how "heavy duty" they are? Thanks alot for any opinions shared
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Expedition and my buddy has the Teton----I can say the Expeditions have got to be the toughest things out there---I road for 29 days offroad with them and spent a lot of time where sagebrush was trying to rip my boots and legs off the footpegs---I just knew it would wear a hole in them. I ended up with just scuff marks--they are as good as new---best thing I've ever had-----as I swore off hard bags for my type of riding long ago.

I have the mounts on 2 bikes--a WR250R and a KTM950 and will soon have the mounts on my africa twin---but just have one set of bags and it takes just a couple minutes to move them from bike to bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. PaulRider

PaulRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  4. fyre42

fyre42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are extremely durable! Light weight, and hold plenty of gear. I just need to find a good way to run a lock around them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
  6. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have a weight on a pair of the expedition dry line saddle bags? I cant find it on the wolfman site anywhere.

I am looking to shed some weight for a long 2-up trip this august and these bags are a great option since i can use my existing racks. They are smaller than my hard cases so that means packing less stuff and shaving even more weight. Plus I can use them on a couple of different bikes, the versatility is very appealing.
  7. freefalling

freefalling Virtus Et Honor

Oddometer:
    Where do yall usually carry your laptops ?

I've been thinking about getting saddle bags but I'm worried if i crash (which I always do, esp in deep sand) I don't want my laptop to get damaged. My thinking is with the hard-cases they'll absorb the blunt of the impact. And also isn't it easier for thieves to lift saddle bags instead of bolted down and internally locked cases ?

Thanks
  8. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    And I was wondering how crash worthy they are? I'm thinking about them for the TaT in a few months.
  9. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Tetons -- not impressed. The stitching tore on one of the straps and the stitching looks to be coming apart on another. I laid the bike down once, softly. That may account for the one strap, but not the other on the other side bag. I emailed the company and was emailed back a few days later and told to follow their return procedures on the web site and to make sure the bags were CLEAN before sending them in (guess they have people that don't so they had to make the point to me in caps). Since this is on my dime I chose to have it done myself to save on shipping charges to and from. I also consider the plastic forming piece in the bag to be a pita. It curls inward so two hands are absolutely required to load anything in the bag. I have other Wolfman pieces that I love. The Tetons not so much. Ymmv...
  10. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    RockemRider contact me tomorrow as I want these bags back to see
    The damage. I will replace with new ones. I'll even pay shipping on these.
    Call me 800/535-8131. Eric/Wolfy
  11. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    WOW! :thumb That's some serious customer service!
  12. thedog07

thedog07 Dual Sport Dog

Oddometer:
    Yeah i am looking for bags for my XR650l and wolfman looks like my best bet.....

i just dont know about the longevity and durability of their waterproof expedition bags:huh
  13. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    They have some pretty good credentials and I'll be going their way as soon as I sell my Gobi's. I really like the Bottle Holster rig.
  14. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got that right. In addition to his post Eric contacted me by PM. He is without question concerned about his products and how they perform!

15. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of buying a set of wolfman Black(Teton) but donno much about the guarantee and customers' issues for those who live outside the US, say me from Turkiye. Maybe Eric could inform me? Thx in advance.
  16. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    Put a set on my XR650L last year. They performed admirably in ~6000 miles of both dusty and wet weather. I highly recommend them.

[​IMG]
  17. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    weight? can I get a weight of a pair of empty expedition saddle bags?
  18. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are about six pounds a pair. Just the bags racks are about 8 (it depends on the rack).

Eric/Wolfy
  19. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    Mine weigh ~2.5 lbs each.
  20. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much:clap
    looks like a set of saddles and a medium duffle are on my shopping list now:evil