Which sport touring bikes are best at high speed and long distance?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sparrowhawk, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am making a trip through Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado where speed limits are high, the distances between anything are long, and there are some delicious curves. I used to own a late '70s BMW R100RS and it was happiest around 95 - 100 mph. Nice laminar air off the fairing that balanced the forward lean, taking the weight off the wrists.

Recent big bikes I have ridden (mostly adventure types) are OK at speed but have a fair amount of buffeting that would be a pain after a few hours near 90 mph. I am wondering which of the newer sport or sport touring bikes get it right for airflow?
  2. Essex of Essex

Essex of Essex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, and find that to be as comfortable as the R100RS was, I understand that the ergonomics on the GT are similar but haven't tried one myself.
  3. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki Hayabusa.

Seriously, I used to own an 00' Busa and it was, without a doubt, the best high speed mile muncher I've ever ridden. 90mph is like a Sunday cruise on that bike and it'll still get mpg's in the 40's at those speeds. They are an amazing bike and quite capable in the corners when their not stretched, lowered and ghetto'd out.
  4. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    In no particular order:

Triumph Sprint

Kawasaki Concours

Yamaha FJR [I own one, and I think it's brilliant for high-speed long-distance touring]

Suzuki Hayabusa

BMW GS1200 [for an adventure bike, it's very good long-distance. I'm not so sure about high-speed, though]

BMW K1600

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of them.

Edit: forgot the Honda ST1300. Very good bike for touring.
  5. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    1st- K1600
    2nd- Concours 14
    close 3rd- FJR
  6. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    The few Iron Butt types I've met all have FJRs.
    My experienced riding buddy tells me the R1200RT is best wind management in a stock bike - ST1300 is second in his book.
  7. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    this
  8. Nbtstatic

Nbtstatic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GT.
    [​IMG]
  9. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for any bike other than my ST1300 but I've never wished for better wind management at any speed than it provides me. I'm 5'6" with the stock windshield and Honda accessory wind deflectors on the mirror covers and fairing. It's fast enough, quick enough, handles well enough. You have lots of good choices in this segment. Some sport touring bikes are better in some areas but not in all areas and the Honda is stone reliable. Owners tend to pamper them and good used examples are easy to come by.
  10. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    C14

I', 5'10 and find the stock windshield in the lowest position perfect. Nice clean air that holds me up nicely.
  11. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ooo0mOqkvig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WANT. I would have one if it didnt cost more than my Passat TDI....

:dunno

someday
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It depends on your definition of sport touring. In the US bikes of the FJR1300, R1200RT, ST1300, K1600 are often considered sport touring which I find absolutely ridonkuluous. They are MASSIVE touring rigs. Just because they can also get up to some speed compared to the HDs doesn't make them sporty, it just makes them fast.

My definition of sport touring is Triumph Sprint, Honda VFR, BMW R1100RS, BMW K1300S, ... and the like.

So, depending on what your definition is, I'd either recommend a Honda VFR800F or a Yamaha FJR1300. Both have very exciting 2014 models and are tried and true, proven solid motorcycles. As much as I love the BMWs, I own one myself, but these two are the true mile munchers.
  13. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heres what I rented while in Colorado. It was PERFECT!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but Ive seen Hayabusas with bar raisers and integrated luggage which are great for covering distance. Those engines are barely stressed at 100mph! As opposed to my GS1200A which is close to hitting the rev max at those speeds. gearing perhaps? Does it matter? Dont know but the inline fours (or six) barely vibrate and that is a plus after 300 miles on the saddle.
    :freaky
  14. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to throw in another vote for the FJR1300, I miss mine already and it's only been a month. It's a fast, comfortable, mile munching machine that can be had used for very good prices. Lots of features included on the new version as well. Those Ironbutt rally guys seem to like it too.
  15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    She is quite the versatile creature. :evil

[​IMG]
  16. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    My buddy's got one of those. Truly a remarkable machine. Too big for my tastes, but very nice. Think it's cool it comes with the hi-output driving lamps from the factory.
  17. mcbagpiper

mcbagpiper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed on this post, the larger bikes (i.e. K1600, R1200RT etc) are really pure touring bikes and not what I think of when someone says "sport touring". My favourite sport touring style bike is the Ninja 1000 - sport 1st, touring 2nd. It can do track days and/or week long trips and not look out of place doing either task.

My father rides an R1200RT, great bike and I've spent a few km's in the saddle, but it's very different from my N1K or a VFR etc.
  18. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aside from the VFR-800, I'd consider the Sprint ST/GT, and the under-rated Ducati ST3/4s for a Sport-tourer; ideally less than 550lbs.

Also, I agree: anything heavier than 650 lbs. and without a slight forward lean isn't a sport-Tourer: The FJR and C14 are the limit in my book.

Of the hyper-sport tourers, the GSX-1300R Hayabusa, ZX-14 and CBR-1100XX Super Blackbird are all exceptional motorcycles in the 550-585 lbs. range that meet your criteria.

Some folks put the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 in the sport-Touring category.
  19. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This, with slight edit above.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nearly all bikes mentioned would meet your criteria, but I'll give the edge to the bikes that are not chain driven and have electric shields.
    Not enough can be said for the movable shield when approaching bugs, wind, rain, tractor trailers etc. Not having to mess with chains after a long day at high speed is appreciated as well.

The bikes with the above as stock will all have good wind management. Just have to decide on the pros and cons for each, and its ergos for you. Price and yr play a part for me as well.